Raiders hire Antonio Pierce as Head Coach

Zac Robinson would be my first choice at OC. Never called plays so that’s not ideal but has been around an offensive mastermind the past 4 years. Would take the chance on him. 

Wouldn’t hate Shane Waldron also wouldn’t love it but could live with it.

Despite that report about Kliff I just don’t see the fit tbh. Raiders want to play with physicality and his offense is everything but that. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, big_palooka said:

You can chill with the narratives and don't lump me in with NY who's purely passive aggressively trolling. I've expressed what I feel are valid concerns with AP, you can agree or not. My biggest issue is not doing a broad search in this talented coaching cycle.

JMD was never "my guy" and like JMD, I'll support AP getting 3 years to lay his foundation in place unless it goes the way the majority if interim hires go. 

History tells us it won't work out, but I respect how he is treating the job in surrounding himself with mentors to help with what he doesn't know. 

Was reading this form the ringer earlier this week:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2024/1/19/24043867/11-rules-for-hiring-an-nfl-head-coach-bill-belichick-mike-tomlin-david-tepper-mark-davisv

AP checks boxes 1-4, 8 

5 - 7 - TBD

9 - Didn't like the approach with Mark here.

10 - TBD - time will tell if he meets this profile:

11 - This is a question to be answered still. 

This is a fascinating read cheers!

I agree with a lot, the big things I think I look for are;

1. Leadership, totally agree with this. Coordinators can take care of Xs and Os and the minutiae, at this organisation right now we need a leader of men.

3. Don’t want a coach that hires his cronies or kids, one thing I absolutely hate would be compromising quality for nepotism.

8. Does more with less, exactly what Pierce and Graham did, and to a lesser extent Hardegree who got better results than McDaniels. Accentuating strengths and improving or obfuscating weaknesses.

What concerns me really is the following; 

9. Cast the net wide - we certainly didn’t seem to do this and locked onto one candidate which was the opposite of what was said. Even if we really wanted to go with Pierce, picks other peoples brains for ideas!

5. How are we going to build offence, as much as I love and am drawn to defence it’s true that the NFL is slanted towards O. This is going to be crucial for Pierce but I do like the fact he’s got experienced minds helping him.

11. What is the HC-GM relationship and power structure, we need synergy here but we also need a defined structure. Who ultimately makes the FA and draft decisions? Who decides what is underperformance or how long the coach gets to install his ideas, who reports to whom?

Actually makes a lot of sense and some of the points in the article are so obvious but trap so many.

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Don’t know anything about him but Matt Edwards seems to have dove a decent job with the tools he had?

Probably had more to do with AP and PG and they know it.

34 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Yeh, could have been. We had a collection of JAGs at DT but they performed admirably certainly in the second half of the season, we simply don’t know who did what really.

5 hours ago, Jerry said:

It was Rob Leonard. He's a great Dline coach. His hiring and impact are largely why I predicted the defense would move into the middle of the back. He did more with less with that unit.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Tank4Drake said:

Edwards? Hmm. Seemed like he did good. Our DT’s were completely trash on paper, yet the eye test our DL wrecked in many games. 

But thank god Bo and Jerry are gone. 

I probably would've tried to keep Chris Ash too for that same reason. Our DBs- notably Moehrig and Robinson (hesitant to credit him too much for Jack Jones) really seemed to take a step forward in play and consistency. 

14 hours ago, NickButera said:

I disagree. I don't believe we have a core group of players (on offense) to build around. 

The fact that AP did what he did with a crappy offense outside Adams, is THE reason he kept him and how he earned it. 

I don't think Mark thinks that at all, I think he thinks the opposite. Our offense needs pieces, (OR a QB to tie everything together) and not many people could go 5-4 with a rookie 4th round QB and a patch work o-line, an injured star RB (who's now a free agent). 

I agree, though I think it maybe for slightly different reasons. 

Who, on offense, do we honestly foresee being building blocks over the next, say, 3 years since 3 is sort of the default  magic number (how long coaches deserve, how long it takes a QB to round out, etc)?

We have zero offensive identity to start with. 

We have: 

No OC/scheme

Miller is a health concern and is good but not exactly a building block at this point. 

Parham is good, but a JAG more than anything. 

James is pretty lackluster. 

Van Roten, Elumenour, and Munford are just passable OL guys. 

Renfrow probably leaves and barely seems to play or impact games positively anymore. 

Tuicker is a deep threat, but he's not so refined I would call him a building block. Do we see him potentially being a 1k yard guy? 

Adams is a great weapon right now, but 3 years from now he's more likely to be ineffective, retired, or somewhere else. 

Meyers is a good WR2 who flashes WR1 potential, but he's not a WR you build a pass game around. 

No QBOTF right now. 

I don't care what is said, you absolutely cannot build an offense around Josh Jacobs. He's too inconsistent and injury prone. I don't really even want him back for what he'll demand, especially after seeing White look better than him.

White isn't really a workhorse back, imo. 

Mayer is probably the best building block on offense we have. 

When I think of a "core", I think of Rodgers, Adams, Jones, Bulaga, and their complimentary pieces or something like Stroud, Pierce, Collins, Hutchinson; Goff, Gibbs, St Brown, LaPorta, Sewell, Decker, Reynolds, Smith; Purdy, CMC, Aiyuk, Kittle, Samuel, etc. 

Our offense, imo, lacks a core of guys you look at and know they are definitive long-term building blocks you're going to be foolish to not sign big contracts for when the time comes.

We have a mish-mash of some good "now" pieces and some solid complimentary pieces, but we don't have a group of guys we look at and say "Yeah, that's our lineup for the stretch run and we're gonna be in a pickle when it's time to pay up." Who are those guys for us that make up our identity? In 2025/2026 who do we look at and go "Crap, what do we do from 2027 to 2030 without them?". 

Its not Adams. It's not Jacobs. It's not Miller. It's not depth guys. Who do we have right now that could leave and totally derail our projections for the next few years and force a high draft pick to he spent to replace them or a big FA signing? Nobody, from what I can tell. Mayer comes the closest at this point, but there's no indication we plan on making him Kelce or Kittle or Gonzalez or Gates or Gronk when it comes to our offensive scheme, and even if we did, he's 1 player amongst relatively interchangeable complimentary pieces. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 4:45 AM, big_palooka said:

I'm 50/50

Tom Coughlin's influence on the staff scares me. He seems like he'd be less focused on finding a dynamic modern play caller and QB developer and more old school type. They will re-sign Jacobs, that's a given and run the ball 300 times next year is my guess.

Wouldn’t be the first time a defensive minded HC ran a run heavy offense. 

Now, the Raiders will turn their attention to the open GM job, with interim GM Champ Kelly and Colts assistant GM Ed Dodds (who interviewed well in 2022, and again this year) as the presumptive leaders for that job.

One tell could be that the Raiders brass did have a meeting/second interview with Kelly—this time with Pierce present—on Friday after officially installing the new head coach. But I’ve heard Dodds is still in really good shape on this one, and Las Vegas did resolve at the start to make these hires separately, which would mean Kelly and Pierce weren’t viewed as a package deal.

I’d be interest in Kliff — good offensive mind and young but could see him jumping back to college if he had some success. Either way I hope we cast a wide net and get some interviews done across the board even if it’s just to get info/opinions on the roster and personnel.