49ers [24] Packers [21] - PostGame Thread

CWood21

I take that back, nobody viable that you should be reading nor caring about their opinion is saying the defense was bad tonight. Better? FWIW, that's how you should take my posts going forward when I say nobody.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

k

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Legitimately asking, what part of the defense played well tonight?  Christian McCaffrey averaged 5.8 YPA tonight, and his season average was 5.4 YPA.  Brock Purdy completed 58.9% of his passes with 0 INTs, and his season average was 69.4% and averaged 0.6 INT per game this season.  The 49ers were converting 62.5% of their 3rd downs, and their regular season average was 47.5%.  The defense didn't play well.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

What does Joe Barry do well? At his absolute BEST he plays conservative defenses and lets his players try and control the game. Defenses that we've invested more draft capital than 90% of the league if not 100, in order to get bottom 8 DVOA/EPA performance from. Name ONE single player that grew to elite levels under Barry? Saw what you want about Dom, Clay, Raji and Woodson became elite in his scheme. If anything he's taken our best player from 2020 (Alexander) and made him just an above average corner. He cannot design anything on his own (we saw that tonight, ******* horrendous schemed blitzes), he's leached his entire playbook from the other talented coordinators he's worked for and ONLY has a job because he's a friend of LaFleur's (no one would've hired him with his resume and no one will ever hire him once he's gone).

It got to the breaking point for McCarthy where it was "if you bring Dom back next year and he flops and hurts the team, you're gone with him, that time for LaFleur is right now. If he brings Barry back and next year we struggle on defense, Gute needs to step in and fire both and that's a shame because he's a good coach, but one with no proven accountability.

And all of this is why we will all be unhappy when MLF keeps Barry around next year.  🤢

• Like 1

Just now, beekay414 said:

I take that back, nobody viable that you should be reading nor caring about their opinion is saying the defense was bad tonight. Better? FWIW, that's how you should take my posts going forward when I say nobody.

If you told me the Niners would only score 24 points before the game happened, I would have thought we won the game. They only scored less than that 3 times this year. 

12 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

What baffles me is that some can't seem to recognize that saying the defense wasn't terrible tonight is not the equivalent of saying Barry should be kept.

We got it. It's been said multiple times.

We just want a change from Barry - based on years of performance.

Edited by Leader

19 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I think the offense started to sputter when Tom left the game.

This.

It was the tipping point of the game. Bosa was mostly handled until Nijman tried to replace Tom. MLFs play calling got a little shaky. Love was under more pressure. Carlson stood and took the blame for the missed kick but if you noticed the last two snaps were bad. 

The youngest team to make the playoffs smoked the #2 seed at their place then took the #1 seed to the final minute in the rain. Those youngsters slugged it out toe to toe with the Best in the NFC and didn't even play their best. We have a lot to look forward to.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, St Vince said:

I'm one of the biggest Barry critics on this board, but I can’t put it on him tonight. We need guys who can get guys on the ground first contact. Too many broken tackles tonight. We need to make an conservative effort to bring in guys via free agency and the draft who are solid tacklers.

Maybe not for tonight but how many times this season did our D play like garbage against teams like Carolina and NYG?  

1 hour ago, MuFF said:

MLF could have challenged the spot on Love's sneak, right? The broadcast stated it would be reviewed upstairs, which I don't think is the case. 

I think it would have been difficult to overturn the spot with all the bodies in the way.  I'm still displeased we didn't kick the FG there.  Those 3 points were the difference between going home and OT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GHARMON9 said:

The good...

EXTREMELY PROUD OF THIS TEAM!!!

I was at the Ale House off I4 in Davenport,FL. Over half of the people were Packers fans ! Best fan base in football.

I was wrong on Love. He is definitely our guy going forward.

Give Aaron jones an extension. 

MLF biggest mistake was not challenging that call in the first. That was a clear first down and probably wins us the game. We go up 10-0.

Clark was giving it his all tonight. 

Doubs is dawg.

Our oline is the best in the league at pass pro. 

The bad...

Love threw the worst INT I've seen in a long time.  On first down, either throw it away or just scramble. You throw it into triple coverage , off your back foot, across your body to the other side of the field... to Christian Watson.....

Savage dropped a pick 6, Nixon dropped an INT.

We don't have a plus LB on the roster anymore. idk what happened to this duo.

Jaire is still hampered imo.

We miss Enagbere on the edge.

Carlson has to figure this out man. Too many misses this year.

Watson might have lost his spot. We were better without him in the line up

I do recall Watson got a lot of attention from Dallas last week and perhaps he was being double teamed again?

15 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

If you told me the Niners would only score 24 points before the game happened, I would have thought we won the game. They only scored less than that 3 times this year. 

2.66 points per drive.  Not sure how that compares to reg season