2023 NFC Championship: 3) Detroit Lions @ 1) San Francisco 49ers

notthatbluestuff

Who wins the NFC?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the NFC?

• Detroit Lions
    • San Francisco 49ers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/28/2024 at 11:40 PM

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

I think the Lions’ defense is far and away the weakest unit left in the playoffs. I just don’t see them winning in SF

They’re gonna have to control the clock and make it a long, grind it out type of game. I think they’re fully capable of that

12 hours ago, Chiefer said:

They’re gonna have to control the clock and make it a long, grind it out type of game. I think they’re fully capable of that

Especially since the 49ers run defense is leaky AF

Also, the Lions defense isn't very good, but they were 11th in INTs, I believe. Even if you aren't very good but Joseph can snag an INT or two, that is more than enough on the part of the defense. 

7 hours ago, Forge said:

Especially since the 49ers run defense is leaky AF

Also, the Lions defense isn't very good, but they were 11th in INTs, I believe. Even if you aren't very good but Joseph can snag an INT or two, that is more than enough on the part of the defense. 

That’s basically what Dan Campbell said the other day. Ie he’s willing to leave his corners 1:1 and risk giving up big passing plays (which have definitely happened recently!), but the hope is it allows them to do more things, bring more blitzes, to help get that one game changing interception or sack they need to end a drive.

“In the past six games, the Lions are averaging over three sacks a game and 1.5 interceptions per game. Campbell says that’s baked into the DNA of their defense now—we’ll cede some plays here and there, but counter with game-changing individual plays.”

“That, to me, has got to be what we’re about. Those are the principles,” Campbell said. ***“Look, we may get hit on a couple of things and I know, for me, I’m willing to give up something to get something.*** And sometimes things may happen, but that’s okay because it’ll pay dividends by the time you hit the fourth quarter.”

Edited by fortdetroit
  • Like 4

On 1/25/2024 at 10:26 PM, Towerbridge said:

Lions defense is almost as bad as the 2016 Falcons.

It's amazing they are only giving up like 21/22 PPG over their last 7 games, despite an opposing receiver going for 150+ like every game lol

Edited by fortdetroit

On 1/26/2024 at 9:20 AM, Ray Reed said:

I think the Lions’ defense is far and away the weakest unit left in the playoffs. I just don’t see them winning in SF

They would be one of the weakest defenses to ever play in the Super Bowl 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 3:54 PM, NinersFan4Life said:

I think a big key to the game will be getting pressure on Goff. His stats under pressure are pretty bad if I remember correctly. Time for the D-line to step up this game. 

I feel like you can say this about both teams. Purdy couldn't handle pressure at all in the Ravens game.

1 hour ago, DigInBoys said:

I feel like you can say this about both teams. Purdy couldn't handle pressure at all in the Ravens game.

Purdy was generally one of the best QBs against pressure this year. 

2nd in completion percentage, third in yards per attempt, third in TDs, fifth in sack rate, fourth in rating (minimum 135 passes under pressure). 

He is a bit of a gambler though when under duress, and sometimes that's going to be turnovers