2024 Coaching Changes: Hiring Positional Coaches

Kiltman

Zero chance I would want BB.  He's a proven fraud when he doesn't have Brady dragging him along.  I'm not going to lay out the numbers on just how bad he's been in non Brady years, but it looks a lot like the success of his disciples.  

People can say what they will, but this staff being "hired" is far more experienced and just might demand a tad bit more respect both offensively and defensively then what was thrown together in 2023!

Success might not be guaranteed but I'd be willing to bet accountability will be!!

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

So exactly how different is Fangio's defense from what we've had here the past few years? Desai was obviously a disciple of his, and I think Gannon ran something similar to Fangio as well. Like are these guys gonna have to learn something way different? Alignment and responsibility-wise how different will it be? I see people keep saying it's a 3-4 but isn't that kinda what we just ran with Reddick basically as a 4th dlineman?

10 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

So exactly how different is Fangio's defense from what we've had here the past few years? Desai was obviously a disciple of his, and I think Gannon ran something similar to Fangio as well. Like are these guys gonna have to learn something way different? Alignment and responsibility-wise how different will it be? I see people keep saying it's a 3-4 but isn't that kinda what we just ran with Reddick basically as a 4th dlineman?

Instead of buying “Great Value Sandwich cookies” we just went ahead and got Oreos 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

it’ll be subtle, not a complete overhaul 

the important thing is you have a guy who wrote the book not someone reading from it. So it’ll all theoretically flow better together than being a mishmash of things.

Heres a breakdown podcast

With the guy that wrote this article that circulated 

https://www.readoptional.com/p/the-book-of-fangio-part-i-the-philosophy

3 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Instead of buying “Great Value Sandwich cookies” we just went ahead and got Oreos 

This.  There is quite a bit of complexity in the way the coverages are supposed to work.  Gannon and Desai seemed to lean heavily into basic Cover 4 concepts which is not all that complex.  Fangio mainly likes to play cover 6 and cover 8 concepts which in practice is essentially just qtrs, half coverage with cover 6 playing qtrs to the strong side of the formation and 8 vice versa.  The basic idea is to create layers of coverage at all the 3 levels while packing a lot of traffic in the middle of the field.  

TLDR, 

Same basic concept a lot of reliance on 4 man rushes to get to the QB before the coverage breaks down, 2 high safeties to disguise coverage, and prevent big plays, but I think we can expect more complexity and better design.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

it’ll be subtle, not a complete overhaul 

the important thing is you have a guy who wrote the book not someone reading from it. So it’ll all theoretically flow better together than being a mishmash of things.

Heres a breakdown podcast

With the guy that wrote this article that circulated 

https://www.readoptional.com/p/the-book-of-fangio-part-i-the-philosophy

I listened to that. Learned a good bit but he dives so deep and uses terms that I don't necessarily understand lol

• Like 1

Here are the more pertinent excerpts from Shawn Syed's article

The Philosophy

The name Vic Fangio is hallowed in defensive circles. “Fangio” is now shorthand for two-high structures, a base 3-4, light boxes, and modern defense. Fangio did not create any of those things. He does, however, deserve credit for using these now meta schemes before their influence blanketed the league. Fangio has worked with Steve Sidwell, Dom Capers, Jim Mora, Rex Ryan, and a laundry list of coaches currently employed by NFL teams. 

The “Fangio Defense'' has a few trademarks. Fangio’s defenses consistently are at the top of the league in two-high shells before the snap. The two-high structure allows for flexibility in the secondary. Safeties can move before or after the snap, react from depth, and ultimately be used as tools to attack the offense. The roll of the safeties often comes very late and can change the picture for quarterbacks who turn their backs to the defense in play action. As the wide-zone-then-boot offense became the orthodoxy for NFL offenses (again) with the rise of the Shanahan-McVay-Stefanski-LaFleur style of offenses, changing the picture on the quarterback while his back is turned to execute a play fake has become a go-to tool for coaches looking to disguise, bluff, and add extra beats to a quarterback’s decision-making process – beats that can lead defenders to crash the pocket or the quarterback to make a poor decision with the ball.

The Main Packages

The main packages to know from the Fangio Defense are 3-4, Nickel/Sub, Penny, and 40. 
47d76d93-6952-4769-8364-459d51e8367f_744

Base 3-4:

The base 3-4 look appears as you may expect it. A nose may shade a side at different times, and the defensive ends play tighter than some other schemes. Their alignment also can shift based on what formation the offense presents. Outside linebackers play on the line as edge setters for the defense, and deep safeties fill the box quickly.
63726949-cd60-4e9d-bb07-9b184e081f11_160

Nickel/Sub:

Fangio’s Nickel or Sub personnel is technically a 2-4-5 but presents as a 4-2-5. The outside linebackers become edge rushers and they are given the chance to go and get after the quarterback. The interior defensive linemen are still double-team eaters and are key to allowing the defense to play with a light box. The nickel defensive back replaces the nose tackle and aligns to the passing strength (more below).

5188485a-2150-4e94-a40f-d88227d74d52_160

Penny:

Fangio’s Penny front uses 3-3-5 personnel but presents like a 5-1. This defense clogs interior gaps and makes running zone more difficult. Ed Donatell has liked to use this package in short-yardage situations with the Vikings. The front increased in popularity as Brandon Staley weaponized it with the Rams. Penny allows a defense to have a good look at the first level of attack while also having a nickel on the field in pass defense – a kind of best-of-both-worlds solution.

e9889ccc-1008-49d8-a54a-1878abe05b9a_160

40:

The 40 package is a heavy run-stopping group that was key to Bill Belichick and the Patriots stopping Sean McVay’s offense in Super Bowl 53. Fangio’s Bears played the Rams tough and part of that is thanks to putting a player in every gap and having a middle linebacker tempo the running back — Belichick mimicked the gameplan in order to stop McVay’s go-go, jet-motion-heavy group in the Super Bowl. These days, it’s most commonly seen now on the goal line and in short-yardage situations.

fd13df69-a4b2-4d92-aa16-e63faaa0b722_160

The Personnel

Vic Fangio has coached some tremendous players. The players help push the scheme, and the scheme aims to put players in a position to succeed. There may be archetypes for roles within the Fangio Defense, but there is always room for talent. 

DL/EDGE: Though the Fangio Defense may be thought of back to front, the trenches are where the fun starts. In the base 3-4 that Fangio uses, the defensive line generally does not attack up the field aggressively in the same way as some single-high structures demand. Instead, high-level technique and an understanding of leverage  help clog up double teams while linebackers can leverage the running back for tackles. On the interior, Fangio has had players like Akeem Hicks and Justin Smith at the 3-4 defensive end spot while Eddie Goldman was a nose tackle for the Bears. The outside linebackers play standing up and help set the edge while also being asked to drop into pass coverage.

When the defense turns to their Nickel package, the most used package for Fangio, they deploy a 2-4-5 format. The two interior defensive linemen are generally the 3-4 defensive ends, and the outside linebackers become edge rushers. While it is technically a 2-4-5 by numbers, it will look like and play like a 4-2-5. The outside linebackers pass rush ability is key to speeding up the offense. Players like Khalil Mack succeeded in this role. 

LB: Fangio’s linebacker rooms feature a who’s who of the great and good. We’re talking Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Roquan Smith and on. Stylistically, the linebackers are often kept clean from double teams by the defensive line while also being asked to get depth in pass coverage. In pass coverage, having a linebacker that is athletic enough to play man coverage with faster-running backs is an essential part of coverage flexibility.

CB: Vic Fangio has recently coached cornerbacks like Patrick Surtain II and Chris Harris Jr. Cornerbacks need high-level coverage skills, but the Fangio Defense also uses cornerbacks as force defenders in the run game. 

S: The safeties are the queens on Vic Fangio’s chessboard. Players like Eddie Jackson and Justin Simmons thrived in a role that asks a player to fit the run from depth, cover large sections of the field, and be the hole player to take away crossing routes. Generally, the weak side safety has the most coverage flexibility, and holding one’s assignment until the last second is a trademark of a Fangio secondary.

• Like 3