Around The League

Jerry

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

He said he came from the old era, I was just trying to help him

Hilarious right there wicked tuna! You troll everyone, be a man and own up to it at least. Pretty sure I know modern era football, and the day I need your help,....drumroll plz, ......is PRECISELY the day hell freezes over.....🤣🤣👍🤘🤮 and now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, NYRaider said:

So we had the recipe but the 49ers, Bills, Ravens, and Dolphins couldn't emulate it, it was just a bad game for them, I'll bet anything they spank us twice next year.

They really couldn't.  Regarding this "recipe" which is really just pressure on Mahomes, Maxx Crosby and company put more pressure on Mahomes than every other team you listed.  None of them could get to him.  It was irritating to watch.  But it just tells you that M. Crosby is cut from a different cloth.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, NYRaider said:

So we had the recipe but the 49ers, Bills, Ravens, and Dolphins couldn't emulate it, it was just a bad game for them, I'll bet anything they spank us twice next year.

It helps having Maxx Crosby who’s better than any of those pass rushers from those teams. So yes, they could not emulate it.

You gotta be down bad to not believe in your team when they have demonstrated they can beat KC lol

Edited by Justwinning
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Justwinning said:

I think the recipe he’s mentioned is all about pressuring Mahomes. I don’t think it has to do with the offense.

But of course, the offense has to improve in order to compete next year. 

Yes, this.

They know this too of course, they are just being obstinate for the sake of it or to get in a little dig at Pierce because they can it seems 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

They really couldn't.  Regarding this "recipe" which is really just pressure on Mahomes, Maxx Crosby and company put more pressure on Mahomes than every other team you listed.  None of them could get to him.  It was irritating to watch.  But it just tells you that M. Crosby is cut from a different cloth.

To be fair, there was some pretty good scheming from us too, taking away easy options and sending other guys like the safety and Spillane too if I recall. KC will probably adjust but maybe we adjust to their adjustment 😃

41 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Yes, this.

They know this too of course, they are just being obstinate for the sake of it or to get in a little dig at Pierce because they can it seems 😁

I've stayed away from this argument and most others, but I guess I'll chime in here.  You know nothing else is going on when we're still talking about a game from 2 months ago.

There is definitely a disconnect between both sides as to what is being said.  

1. The Raiders obviously won the game.  Saying we played poorly in a win isn't a bad thing, it's just the truth.

2. The Raiders obviously played a great game on defense.  No one is discrediting the effort put forth.

3. The Chiefs obviously didn't play their best game, in part because of our defense and in part because they crapped down their leg.  Both can be true.

4. Our offense obviously played like crap. Not completing a pass for 3 qtrs is just sad, period.

5. To me, this has zero to do with who the coach was for this game.  If McDummy won a game like this, I'd feel the same about how we got to the result.

6. The fact that it's the Chiefs isn't as relevant as it's being made out to be.  The "Raider" fan is propping up the victory because of who it was against.  If we had beaten the Vikings 6-3, no one would be discussing it in this fashion.  When the Colts beat the Chiefs a couple of years ago, no one was propping up the Colts for anything more than just getting the "Any given Sunday" victory against a clearly better opponent.

To sum up.  Let it go.  We got the win by any means and that's great.  However, just because we beat them, it doesn't mean anything.  They're still the champs and we don't know if we will be any better next season.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Justwinning said:

Pretty sure the recipe is pressure Mahomes and make sure to rough him around. That’s what the Bucs did in the superbowl.

The recipe to beat Mahomes is pretty simple- like you say, pressure the hell out of him, knock him down, keep him in the pocket as much as possible. His receiving weapons aren't great outside of Kelce. Their run game is pretty mediocre overall. 

Playing a medium depth man scheme while blitzing the absolute hell out of him would do the trick- except Graham doesn't like to blitz and our secondary is made up of mostly warm bodies and our interior pass rush is nonexistent so he finds open guys after moving around enough. 

Slowing Mahomes down isn't some huge mystery, it's just actually being able to execute. Same recipe the Giants used to almost routinely stop Rodgers in the playoffs a decade ago. Green Bay had better weapons than the Chiefs do now. New York's secondary wasn't particularly special, just solid. But that pass rush was nasty and effective as hell. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, true2form said:

I've stayed away from this argument and most others, but I guess I'll chime in here.  You know nothing else is going on when we're still talking about a game from 2 months ago.

There is definitely a disconnect between both sides as to what is being said.  

1. The Raiders obviously won the game.  Saying we played poorly in a win isn't a bad thing, it's just the truth.

2. The Raiders obviously played a great game on defense.  No one is discrediting the effort put forth.

3. The Chiefs obviously didn't play their best game, in part because of our defense and in part because they crapped down their leg.  Both can be true.

4. Our offense obviously played like crap. Not completing a pass for 3 qtrs is just sad, period.

5. To me, this has zero to do with who the coach was for this game.  If McDummy won a game like this, I'd feel the same about how we got to the result.

6. The fact that it's the Chiefs isn't as relevant as it's being made out to be.  The "Raider" fan is propping up the victory because of who it was against.  If we had beaten the Vikings 6-3, no one would be discussing it in this fashion.  When the Colts beat the Chiefs a couple of years ago, no one was propping up the Colts for anything more than just getting the "Any given Sunday" victory against a clearly better opponent.

To sum up.  Let it go.  We got the win by any means and that's great.  However, just because we beat them, it doesn't mean anything.  They're still the champs and we don't know if we will be any better next season.

Respectfully disagree.

Raiders v Chiefs is not like Chiefs v Colts or Chiefs v AN Other. It’s an age old rivalry and recently a very, very one sided one. We absolutely, desperately needed a win more than any other team did v the Chiefs imho. The coach needed the win for legitimacy. The players needed the win for belief.

Now, that being said it’s just one win and we can’t hang out hat on a single win without backing it up. The difference for me is that a lot of the fan base thought we’d get whooped, what we showed not just in that performance is an intestinal fortitude we hadn’t had previously.

The trick here, for everyone, is can we repeat this performance? It all means very little without doing that and using it as a stepping stone. We’re at base camp I think, we made it that far and we can see the summit but getting there is the tough part 🙂

• Like 4

On 2/23/2024 at 3:45 PM, Darbsk said:

Respectfully disagree.

Raiders v Chiefs is not like Chiefs v Colts or Chiefs v AN Other. It’s an age old rivalry and recently a very, very one sided one. We absolutely, desperately needed a win more than any other team did v the Chiefs imho. The coach needed the win for legitimacy. The players needed the win for belief.

Now, that being said it’s just one win and we can’t hang out hat on a single win without backing it up. The difference for me is that a lot of the fan base thought we’d get whooped, what we showed not just in that performance is an intestinal fortitude we hadn’t had previously.

The trick here, for everyone, is can we repeat this performance? It all means very little without doing that and using it as a stepping stone. We’re at base camp I think, we made it that far and we can see the summit but getting there is the tough part 🙂

And that's fine.

As you said, it "was" a rivalry and hasn't been much of one.  Getting one win is a stepping stone, but without another it won't mean anything.

I would agree more with what you're saying if this was 2020 and we just watched Carr and Ruggs carve them up at home.  Then we watched them lose at home in the final seconds.  That team looked like it was going somewhere and had a chance to compete with the Chiefs going forward.  

There is some hope with this team right now.  However, there are way more questions than answers to get excited more than we should.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, true2form said:

And that's fine.

As you said, it "was" a rivalry and hasn't been much of one.  Getting one win is a stepping stone, but without another it won't mean anything.

I would agree more with what you're saying if this was 2020 and we just watched Carr and Ruggs carve them up at home.  Then we watched them lose at home in the final seconds.  That team looked like it was going somewhere and had a chance to compete with the Chiefs going forward.  

There is some hope with this team right now.  However, there are way more questions than answers to get excited more than we should.

The absence of any QB competency for us skewed that game too. If we had a half decent offensive production the narrative would be there. But like Jack Jones said "we took that" game. There was a lot more accomplished beyond the 2 TDs and it was a result of the defensive pressure and discipline.

But much like any other topic that gets beaten into the ground in this forum between January and September (strap in, we've only just begun) it all comes down to QB. That question will remain unanswered whether it's AOC or any rookie until the season starts/progresses. The coaching hire, the front office hires, the free agency, the draft...all of it means very little if we don't get good results from the QB play.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, true2form said:

And that's fine.

Yeh, that 2020 team did seem to have finally found ‘something’. This years vintage may be a fluke, but I just feel there’s been a genuine culture shift. We obviously have to take the next step now, but I think we could if we can just figure out the QB situation, and I think we both agree that if we don’t then it’s all for nought.

• Like 2

On 2/23/2024 at 11:27 AM, ronjon1990 said:

The recipe to beat Mahomes is pretty simple- like you say, pressure the hell out of him, knock him down, keep him in the pocket as much as possible. His receiving weapons aren't great outside of Kelce. Their run game is pretty mediocre overall. 

Playing a medium depth man scheme while blitzing the absolute hell out of him would do the trick- except Graham doesn't like to blitz and our secondary is made up of mostly warm bodies and our interior pass rush is nonexistent so he finds open guys after moving around enough. 

Slowing Mahomes down isn't some huge mystery, it's just actually being able to execute. Same recipe the Giants used to almost routinely stop Rodgers in the playoffs a decade ago. Green Bay had better weapons than the Chiefs do now. New York's secondary wasn't particularly special, just solid. But that pass rush was nasty and effective as hell. 

Same way giants stopped Brady and guess who was the captain on that defense. Ap talked about having to out  x&o brady. Even Eli gushes over how difficult it was to even practice vs ap cause pierce is so cerebral 

On 2/23/2024 at 12:16 PM, Justwinning said:

It helps having Maxx Crosby who’s better than any of those pass rushers from those teams. So yes, they could not emulate it.

You gotta be down bad to not believe in your team when they have demonstrated they can beat KC lol

The DT’s stepped up, big-time there was constant pressure from the middle.

• Like 1