Around The League

Jerry

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

The Raiders are going to be the team without a future at QB when the music stops this offseason aren't they? Looking more and more likely. 

They’ll ready for Nix at #13 if he’s there.

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

The Raiders are going to be the team without a future at QB when the music stops this offseason aren't they? Looking more and more likely. 

When you say future, even if we miss on the QB prospects we like or are unable to manouvre to get a prospect it’s still realistically only one year though. It’s obviously not ideal with guys like Adams, but in terms of future, making a rash decision just to take a QB this year might be a very short term option. Maybe we don’t fancy the options then we’d simply be better off taking BPA and manouvering with a view to next years draft. Realistically it’s only one year and there’s likely to be a Daniels or McCarthy next year if we can’t get them this year. Nobody wants to leave the draft this year with no firm answer at QB but it’s not like we’re locking ourselves into a QB wasteland for 5 years.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, reddevil said:

They certainly seem to be on the outside looking in don’t they? 

It always seemed out of reach for them to move up enough from 13 into the top 3 and it seems the chance of them offering better than Minn to move up and grab the 4th QB will be equally unlikely.

Perhaps because I’ve always considered those options unrealistic, Nix and Penix have seemed pretty appealing options - more Nix for me. And that is still very much in play.

It will be interesting to see if they like either enough to take them. It’s a gamble both ways. Taking one of them and not. They’re clearly neither without significant question marks and have a really high probability of not working out - but the possibility of what it could do to the team if they became just solid, functional QBs able to run and play competent offense must be really tempting for the FO.

Equally, I can see a reasonable argument for Telesco just accepting the card he’s been dealt if he is unsure and playing it safe in his first season. He’s made a pretty good career off of taking the obvious first round pick - so I can certainly see the rationale should he go that way. 

I’m still just on the side of taking Nix at 13 if he’s there. 

Agree with this, though if pressed, I’d probably err on the side of Penix and would hope to get him with a trade up from the second aswell as a solid BPA at 13. It does feel like with a run on QBs early, especially if McCarthy goes early it could push the value of that second tier of guys up artificially though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

When you say future, even if we miss on the QB prospects we like or are unable to manouvre to get a prospect it’s still realistically only one year though. It’s obviously not ideal with guys like Adams, but in terms of future, making a rash decision just to take a QB this year might be a very short term option. Maybe we don’t fancy the options then we’d simply be better off taking BPA and manouvering with a view to next years draft. Realistically it’s only one year and there’s likely to be a Daniels or McCarthy next year if we can’t get them this year. Nobody wants to leave the draft this year with no firm answer at QB but it’s not like we’re locking ourselves into a QB wasteland for 5 years.

I’m starting to become more at ease with this option and you’re right, it ultimately comes down to the evaluation of the 2nd tier guys and where they sit on Telesco’s board. 

Im pretty confident that he has a good appreciation of the value at the top end of drafts and he looks to be someone who won’t let external pressures influence where he ranks players and won’t let that panic him into a rash decision. If he takes a Nix/Penix high, you’ve gotta think he really sees something in them. Especially with the Minshew signing giving some insurance.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Chargers are gonna select Brock Bowers at #5. Greg Roman offense 

Saw a post on twitter speculating that Harbaugh blows the Chargers up altogether and takes JJ at 5 and trades Herbert for a king’s ransom.

I dont think Harbaugh is that crazy 😂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Saw a post on twitter speculating that Harbaugh blows the Chargers up altogether and takes JJ at 5 and trades Herbert for a king’s ransom.

I dont think Harbaugh is that crazy 😂

I just saw that post! It had the Chargers trading Herbert to the Vikings. If there’s one team who has the need , cap space and trade compensation. Harbaugh is crazy enough to do it 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NickButera said:

They did. At least for this year. Due to both of their restructures this week. Although in Macks restructure they can't franchise him next year.  I don't think any player in the history of the league has done a restructure to stay with the team and they cut him shortly after. 

Thanks. Didn't see they restructured. 

8 hours ago, Darbsk said:

This is my issue. If you can't get a QB who moves the needle in 2023, then keeping Adams is pointless. He provides more value in trade than to the prospects of winning meaningful football this season unless you are set at QB. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Realistically it’s only one year and there’s likely to be a Daniels or McCarthy next year if we can’t get them this year.

Next years QB class looks extremely mid, look at 2022, there are bad QB classes. And if you're keeping Adams/Minshew starts you're likely winning 6-7 games, so you'd prefer to trade the farm for a worse player a year from now with Adams likely on his way out?

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Next years QB class looks extremely mid, look at 2022, there are bad QB classes. And if you're keeping Adams/Minshew starts you're likely winning 6-7 games, so you'd prefer to trade the farm for a worse player a year from now with Adams likely on his way out?

‘Extremely mid’ seems a strange phrase 😁 I trust you mean something like uninspiring or very average or bland? 

Yes, absolutely the class next year could potentially be very poor with no good QB options at all, that is very possible, but it doesn’t mean taking a panic pick on a bad player this year is the right choice either. We need to get a good option not just an option for the sake of it is my point I guess.

I think you totally missed my point though, I’m saying we should only pull the trigger on the kid we think is right. If that is this year or next year then we need to ensure we draft we’ll not just out of a panic or need. If we can trade the farm this year for the right kid, then yeh do it no issue. If we can’t, don’t get stuck taking an inferior player just to take a QB and manouvre so we’re in position next year, then at least we have the option. Next year will be the same, if there is no one there, don’t take a bad player just out of need.

Im not sure about the 6 or 7 games thing, we’ve added a key piece in Wilkins and Minshew us at least a whole level up on O’Connell and Garoppolo so we’ve improved at two of the biggest positions. Even if we roll into the year with Minshew as the starter this ought to be a playoff team or very close to it imho.

1 minute ago, Darbsk said:

‘Extremely mid’ seems a strange phrase 😁 I trust you mean something like uninspiring or very average or bland? 

Yes, absolutely the class next year could potentially be very poor with no good QB options at all, that is very possible, but it doesn’t mean taking a panic pick on a bad player this year is the right choice either. We need to get a good option not just an option for the sake of it is my point I guess.

I think you totally missed my point though, I’m saying we should only pull the trigger on the kid we think is right. If that is this year or next year then we need to ensure we draft we’ll not just out of a panic or need. If we can trade the farm this year for the right kid, then yeh do it no issue. If we can’t, don’t get stuck taking an inferior player just to take a QB and manouvre so we’re in position next year, then at least we have the option. Next year will be the same, if there is no one there, don’t take a bad player just out of need.

Im not sure about the 6 or 7 games thing, we’ve added a key piece in Wilkins and Minshew us at least a whole level up on O’Connell and Garoppolo so we’ve improved at two of the biggest positions. Even if we roll into the year with Minshew as the starter this ought to be a playoff team or very close to it imho.

We beat a bunch of backup QB, it’s not sustainable unless our offense makes a major leap. 

Telesco chose Minshew over fields and Russ 

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We beat a bunch of backup QB, it’s not sustainable unless our offense makes a major leap. 

Telesco chose Minshew over fields and Russ 

Im not sure what your point is, the offence will get a big upgrade at QB plus the defence gets a huge upgrade at DT plus any other things we do at CB etc. that’s assuming we roll with Minshew. If we do manage to nab a promising rookie QB then even better - though he will take his lumps of course. 

Absolutely no reason why we shouldn’t compete for the playoffs this year. 

9 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Im not sure what your point is, the offence will get a big upgrade at QB plus the defence gets a huge upgrade at DT plus any other things we do at CB etc. that’s assuming we roll with Minshew. If we do manage to nab a promising rookie QB then even better - though he will take his lumps of course. 

Absolutely no reason why we shouldn’t compete for the playoffs this year. 

A big upgrade at QB? 

AOC's production last year would've put him on pace for 3,770 yards / 20 TD / 12 INT over a full season. Minshew had 3,305 / 15 TD / 9 INT.

Again, I'm assuming you didn't watch much Indy last year? Minshew is the definition of a check down merchant / game manager, he has no arm to push the ball down the field. Shane Stiechen is one of the best play callers in the league so he found a way to make it work but their offense was limited because of it.

I mean AOC had 12 TD in 10 games and Minshew had 15 in 17.