Around The League

Jerry

It was moronic to trade for Tae and link him with his best friend. The offensive had chemistry but we decided to cut cost at QB for Jimmy and to pay the wash Chandler Jones. That move a lot cost Dave and McDaniels their job. Maybe drafting Stroud or Richardson might have saved them but the morons drafted Ferrell 2.0 lol 

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

It was moronic to trade for Tae and link him with his best friend. The offensive had chemistry but we decided to cut cost at QB for Jimmy and to pay the wash Chandler Jones. That move a lot cost Dave and McDaniels their job. Maybe drafting Stroud or Richardson might have saved them but the morons drafted Ferrell 2.0 lol 

McDonald's and Zeegs were really trying to kill us off.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

It could have. I'm a Carr fan and I didn't necessarily think moving on was necessary if we had a good HC and OC, but I also understand he wasn't going to be our QB for another decade and rebuilding wasn't a bad idea. 

So many mistakes were made with the how. I will forever believe had we handled the divorce correctly, we could've convinced him to accept a trade rather than leaving via FA. What his market value would have been is TBD, but it wouldn't have been a 6th or something that couldn't have helped us go after a QB. 

Benching him when they did soured the mood. Depending on who you listen to, we then tried to convince him to come back, which certainly didn't help with a guy who, whatever his flaws as a player, values commitment and loyalty. 

End of the day, there's nothing wrong with someone thinking moving on from Carr would result in quickly drafting a new QB. It's actually fairly absurd how poorly the post-Carr QB situation was handled. I certainly wouldn't hold it against anyone for having thought moving on from Carr to drafting QBOTF wouldn't be a 3-4 year ordeal where absolutely nothing was recouped from the move. 

I think the only person that was dogmatic in a (mis)belief Carr was utterly worthless was BayRaider, who would've dropped numerous 1sts on the likes of Russ and Malik Willis to satiate his midget QB fetish. 

SilvernBlackfan and Bucksavage right there as well 

7 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Go look at his stats the previous 13 games before that. Iirc, he was sitting at 13/8 TD/Int ratio and was a bottom 10 QB before putting together a nice stretch to end the season last year. He was a big reason why the Saints didn’t make the playoffs last year when they absolutely should’ve, especially in that bad division.

Carr is a good QB and certainly far better than what we have now, but he ran his course here. We had ten years with him to try to put the right formula around him to win, we failed.

Carr is the type of QB who will leave a fanbase divided for 10 years. Right now we are united in knowing we need to find a franchise QB. 

It does not make any excuse for having an absolute failure of a plan to replace him when jettisoning him off. I don’t think 90% of this forum would have been upset had we let Carr go if there was an actual plan to have replaced him with either a highly drafted rookie or a rock solid veteran. That’s not what happened though, and now we get to reap what we sow. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Didnt say we handled it right even though i was ready to move on from DC. Josh did very little right. The Raiders do very little right. But the Carr handling is probably not even top 3 situations Im still upset about as a Raider fan. Im still sick about what went down with Khalil Mack, he was actually a HOF worthy player. 

People are overreacting to the Saints beating the Panthers. If they do that to the Cowboys, I’ll be impressed. JMD mistake on replacing Carr was not taking the #2 overall pick trade

However, Gruden was the one who messed up the Carr situation too. He had a trade for multiple (allegedly) 1st rounders for Carr and decided to trade Mack who within a couple years found his way to our rival 

14 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

It could have. I'm a Carr fan and I didn't necessarily think moving on was necessary if we had a good HC and OC, but I also understand he wasn't going to be our QB for another decade and rebuilding wasn't a bad idea. 

So many mistakes were made with the how. I will forever believe had we handled the divorce correctly, we could've convinced him to accept a trade rather than leaving via FA. What his market value would have been is TBD, but it wouldn't have been a 6th or something that couldn't have helped us go after a QB. 

Benching him when they did soured the mood. Depending on who you listen to, we then tried to convince him to come back, which certainly didn't help with a guy who, whatever his flaws as a player, values commitment and loyalty. 

End of the day, there's nothing wrong with someone thinking moving on from Carr would result in quickly drafting a new QB. It's actually fairly absurd how poorly the post-Carr QB situation was handled. I certainly wouldn't hold it against anyone for having thought moving on from Carr to drafting QBOTF wouldn't be a 3-4 year ordeal where absolutely nothing was recouped from the move. 

I think the only person that was dogmatic in a (mis)belief Carr was utterly worthless was BayRaider, who would've dropped numerous 1sts on the likes of Russ and Malik Willis to satiate his midget QB fetish. 

the big mistake in replacing Carr was JMD turning  down the #2 overall pick in 2023 draft

That was the plan and McDaniels nixed it

Edited by bucksavage1

On 9/9/2024 at 5:56 PM, #1RAIDER FAN said:

Carr did end up being a fall guy, as others have said this team drafted poorly for a decade. Carr had issues of his own but even the biggest haters said he was at worst in that 20 range of QBs. The issue was when Carr was here they weren’t taking shots at a QB or attempting to upgrade in a serious way. You have to take the risk and hope it plays out like Stroud and not Young. Best case was to have Carr be a bridge. Second was move on with another bridge and rookie. They just chose Jimmy and Aiden. Need to reset again and take another shot until it’s right. 

Personally I don’t think Carr should have prevented us from trading up to get a guy all those years. You don’t need to be the worst team to get a QB. Jordan Love, Hurts, Lamar. 

I also think, if you don’t have a QB you should be drafting one pretty much every year as a matter of course, even in the lower rounds just to increase the chance you strike gold.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

I also think, if you don’t have a QB you should be drafting one pretty much every year as a matter of course, even in the lower rounds just to increase the chance you strike gold.

Agreed. I thought we should of took Spencer Rattler in the 4th

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FloydFan said:

It does not make any excuse for having an absolute failure of a plan to replace him when jettisoning him off. I don’t think 90% of this forum would have been upset had we let Carr go if there was an actual plan to have replaced him with either a highly drafted rookie or a rock solid veteran. That’s not what happened though, and now we get to reap what we sow. 

Well if it makes you feel better, the HC/GM duo who had no plan in place got canned. They’re gone and so is Carr. 

Time to accept it and move on, and stop beating your chest when Carr beats up on the worst team in the league at home.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

What is seemingly becoming a way *not* to do it, is to trade a lot of capital for one. Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson, and up for Bryce Young. Doesn't mean that should prevent it necessarily, but best case, move up a few spots or take shots where you can. I understand last draft not grabbing a guy when 6 go in the first 12. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Well if it makes you feel better, the HC/GM duo who had no plan in place got canned. They’re gone and so is Carr. 

Time to accept it and move on, and stop beating your chest when Carr beats up on the worst team in the league at home.

Not beating a chest. Just being honest. It was a bad move. Hiring those two was also a bad move. All can be true. Instead of writing it off as the worst team in the league I’d worry more about just how bad our offense looked yesterday against a team that is also considered fairly bad. It’s ok to eat an L. We all do.  

2 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

2 years later at that.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

the big mistake in replacing Carr was JMD turning  down the #2 overall pick in 2023 draft

That was the plan and McDaniels nixed it

If we’d done that and even if that player had busted you could have at least given credit for committing, being decisive and going for broke. I would have respected that plan even if it didn’t work out. Instead they replaced him with the bum Garoppolo 😁

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

If we’d done that and even if that player had busted you could have at least given credit for committing, being decisive and going for broke. I would have respected that plan even if it didn’t work out. Instead they replaced him with the bum Garoppolo 😁

That pick, had we gotten it, likely becomes CJ Stroud or Anthony Richardson. I'd be thrilled with one, totally OK seeing how the other plays out. 

Outside chance, knowing our franchise, we did something weird like Levis, but I wouldn't absolutely hate that either (albeit for now). 

There was also the possibility of trading back if the QBs didn't excite them for whatever reason, amd we would've had plenty of ammo to move up this year from any pick we would've likely had if not 13. Penix and McCarthy would've absolutely been within reach had we used extra from a 2023 trade down. 

But as with everything Josh McDaniels touches outside of Foxboro, it all went to sh*t. The possibilities to greatly improve were there. It's really impossible to effectively describe just how big of a disaster our daliance with dumbassery was to our immediate future. 

• Like 2