Boston College Head Coach Jeff Hafley is Packers New DC

2024 DC Search  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT to be the next DC?

• Jeff Hafley
    • Jim Leonhard
    • Wink Martindale
    • Ejiro Evero
    • Christian Parker
    • Zach Orr
    • Jesse Minter
    • Anthony Weaver
    • Chris Hewitt
    • Al Harris
    • Larry Foote
    • Aden Durde
    • Dennard Wilson
    • Aubrey Pleasant
    • Brandon Staley
    • Joe Barry
    • Bobby Babich
    • Mike Vrabel
    • Leslie Frazier
    • Chris Harris

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2024 at 01:07 AM

5 minutes ago, Chili said:

Good or bad? Nepotism hire?

I certainly don't like any of that(keeping all the defensive assistants). LaFleur better be sure he's right on this because if he's not, it likely costs him his job.

Edited by deltarich87
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think Staley would be a big upgrade over Joe Barry,  Staley is actually a very sharp dude, but the HC gig was just too much to handle for him and didn't fit his personality at all.  Definitely not my first choice, but I wouldn't be sick about it.

Still runs the Fangio defense, no? That's what I meant by 2.0,  slight upgrade, but still Fangio.

We will see how it plays out, but the Packers have invested a lot of draft capital in defensive players to fit the 3-4 and some of these guys may now be square pegs for the round holes. Aaron Kampman was a Pro Bowl player for the Packers yet when Capers arrived, he was not a fit and a year later was a castoff. Hawk was probably a lesser player because of the change also. Same thing applied to Matthews when Pettine arrived. Does the same thing now happen with Gary with a 4-man front? Quay Walker now may have been a wasted pick. Van Ness may be a better player with his hand in the dirt so that is a positive. There is a cost for these types of changes.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Isherwood said:

Ack. If we can’t have an assistant red wedding style turnover, then I at least hope he brings a guy or two to inject new blood into it. 

He'll run the assistants differently than Barry did. I sense, he'll be more demanding....but I could be imagining that.

• Like 1

Just now, R T said:

We will see how it plays out, but the Packers have invested a lot of draft capital in defensive players to fit the 3-4 and some of these guys may now be square pegs for the round holes. Aaron Kampman was a Pro Bowl player for the Packers yet when Capers arrived, he was not a fit and a year later was a castoff. Hawk was probably a lesser player because of the change also. Same thing applied to Matthews when Pettine arrived. Does the same thing now happen with Gary with a 4-man front? Quay Walker now may have been a wasted pick. Van Ness may be a better player with his hand in the dirt so that is a positive. There is a cost for these types of changes.   

Gary had to be transitioned over to a 3-4 OLB. 

If anything this will help Quay. Having another big guy in front of him to keep him clean

• Like 4

Don't put too much stock in 3-4 vs. 4-3 when we're talking about the edges.  The only real difference is "you're not going to drop your edges into coverage very much" but that's not the sort of thing you want to do with Preston, Gary, LVN, etc.

The main difference in terms of the defensive front is "you're going to want to roster more off-ball linebackers" since there are times that you will want to play with three of those guys on the field at once.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 3