Boston College Head Coach Jeff Hafley is Packers New DC

2024 DC Search  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT to be the next DC?

• Jeff Hafley
    • Jim Leonhard
    • Wink Martindale
    • Ejiro Evero
    • Christian Parker
    • Zach Orr
    • Jesse Minter
    • Anthony Weaver
    • Chris Hewitt
    • Al Harris
    • Larry Foote
    • Aden Durde
    • Dennard Wilson
    • Aubrey Pleasant
    • Brandon Staley
    • Joe Barry
    • Bobby Babich
    • Mike Vrabel
    • Leslie Frazier
    • Chris Harris

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2024 at 01:07 AM

2 hours ago, ReasonablySober said:

You can tell he's had HC experience. He worked the presser really well. 

He always seems to ace the presser.  Really like what I hear from him and I hope it transfers seamlessly to the players.  This is a super important hire for LaFleur.  Hope he knocked this one out of the park. 

5 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Probably means very little but Hafley was impressive in his first pressor.  Seems like there was wide agreement on that.

I like what he said, and it makes me hope that he does well.  That being said, I also really liked Mo Drayton after his opening press conference, and that very likely could have been the high point of his tenure.

Yeah, he was a good press conference.  And it does seem like both he and MLF think the 4/3 vs 3/4 is something, not nothing.  [Some of the board discussion had kinda dismissed that, given that everybody's in nickle all the time anyway.] 

After Hafley was signed, some board discussion assumed Hafley will play more pressure, play more man coverage, goodbye to Barry's soft zone.  

But MLF's first talking point emphasized Hafley would have "more eyes on the ball", more eyes on the QB.  Which kinda sounds to me like more zone, not less?  Hafley talked up "eyes on the ball" as well, and noted that when in press and man, it's hard to see the QB when you're running with your man.  

Hafley emphasized, appropriately I think, doing different things.  Different matchups, different situations, different down-and-distance.  So, I'm guessing three things.  First, that Hafley will mix it up and use a blend of coverage styles, as was already true with Barry and Pettine and every NFL DC.  Second, that zone will predominate, as was already true with Barry and Pettine and most NFL DC.  Third, that MLF is pretty committed to zone, as he saw with Rams and as he's been with Barry and Pettine.  

Hafley, like every DC, will be mixing things up.  Probably the good ones mix it up more creatively, adapt better to matchups, adapt better in game, and adapt better to their specific personnel.  Hopefully Hafley will be smart with all of that stuff.  

He sounded sharp, so hopefully he'll have a quick mind and will be a quick and sharp adapter.  

• Like 2

Sounds like MLF saw the same thing many Packers fans saw.  The GB defense just wasn't playing with the same kind of intensity you see when watching the top defenses in the league.

“It’s how do these guys attack the football? How do they approach the ball carrier? And how relentless are they playing each and every play? The effort that they give, that is definitely a staple of that defense. Whether it’s San Francisco, whether it’s the Jets – watched a lot of Houston over the last few days – they are relentless.”

Maybe the narrative of GB not paying for quality assistant coaches can be put to bed?

It’s no coincidence LaFleur and Hafley went after Miami linebackers coach Anthony Campanile as hard as they did, outbidding the Philadelphia Eagles for his services.

Does this quote from Hafley mean we shouldn't expect a ton of man/press coverage, and DeJean sounds like a perfect fit?

“Our zone coverages are built off vision,” Hafley said. “It allows guys to play fast. So, they're not looking at people and looking around for people. The essence of playing vision-based coverage is that when the ball is thrown, you have two or three guys going 100 miles an hour to the ball carrier.

“Our zone coverages are built off vision,” Hafley said. “It allows guys to play fast. So, they're not looking at people and looking around for people. The essence of playing vision-based coverage is that when the ball is thrown, you have two or three guys going 100 miles an hour to the ball carrier.

Man, I gotta tell you, we are going to destroy this man's spirit and leave him a shell of his former self.  And it will not take long.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Man, I gotta tell you, we are going to destroy this man's spirit and leave him a shell of his former self.  And it will not take long.

seems like what we've all wanted, reading and reacting has to be faster then it was under Joe Barry, players can't just sit up in  a zone and thinking should I attack, or should I hand this player off which was a constant with Barry, you don't have time to think, you have to see it and automatically know what your responsibility is and go do it, under Barry our players looked tentative, hesitant, minus stellar pass rush our coverage rarely ever held up, so our recourse was to play soft cushion zone hoping to stop the big chunk play., and teams dink and dunked us to death.

when Hafley said we need to simplify, cut down on in play thinking, I was sold.

4 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

....Does this quote from Hafley mean we shouldn't expect a ton of man/press coverage, and DeJean sounds like a perfect fit?

Yup.  Sure sounded that way to me.  

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

“Our zone coverages are built off vision,” Hafley said. “It allows guys to play fast. So, they're not looking at people and looking around for people. The essence of playing vision-based coverage is that when the ball is thrown, you have two or three guys going 100 miles an hour to the ball carrier....

Not to over-analyze, but he referred to guys going to the ball carrier, not just to a potential receiver. 

Heh heh, maybe this is the classic MLF soft zone:  let them get an easy catch; maybe get the first down; but then (hypothetically) go 100 mph from your deep soft zone to tackle them after the catch?  :):). 

But, I wonder if Hafley (and MLF) do want secondary getting to ball carriers much more quickly?  Including not only running backs on handoffs, but also short/quick swing passes and WR screens and stuff?  Under MLF Rodgers had so many short little passes either behind the LOS or <5 yards beyond it.  Some defense crowded those areas and left little space to run; other allowed much more space.  Whether zone or not, I wonder if Hafley might pull his zone in a little tighter and nearer the line?  If a QB throws a 1 yard pass scrimmage, that the defenders are pouring in 100mph before the guy gets 6 more YAC?  Perhaps playing with one shallow safety instead of 2-high could help with that, sometimes?  

Dumb defense question.   When secondary is in zone, do all 5 play zone?  Or are there often calls where some play man and others zone?  For example, the boundaries press but slot and safeties zone?