Boston College Head Coach Jeff Hafley is Packers New DC

2024 DC Search  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT to be the next DC?

• Jeff Hafley
    • Jim Leonhard
    • Wink Martindale
    • Ejiro Evero
    • Christian Parker
    • Zach Orr
    • Jesse Minter
    • Anthony Weaver
    • Chris Hewitt
    • Al Harris
    • Larry Foote
    • Aden Durde
    • Dennard Wilson
    • Aubrey Pleasant
    • Brandon Staley
    • Joe Barry
    • Bobby Babich
    • Mike Vrabel
    • Leslie Frazier
    • Chris Harris

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2024 at 01:07 AM

31 minutes ago, craig said:

Dumb defense question.   When secondary is in zone, do all 5 play zone?  Or are there often calls where some play man and others zone?  For example, the boundaries press but slot and safeties zone?  

No, they can have corners press at the line while having a zone behind it.  I think we will see a lot of that.  Jaire and Carrington are more cut out for press than that passive crap Barry had them playing so often. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, craig said:

Dumb defense question.   When secondary is in zone, do all 5 play zone?  Or are there often calls where some play man and others zone?  For example, the boundaries press but slot and safeties zone?  

Personally, I hope we see a Box and 1 defense this year.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Right now the Packers safeties are Anthony Johnson Jr. and Benny Sapp III. They have no greater need than safety. 

...and a pretty weak safety class in the draft.  Along with what looks like a pretty strong free agent class at safety.

9 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

...and a pretty weak safety class in the draft.  Along with what looks like a pretty strong free agent class at safety.

Reputation for strength of "class" is sometimes impacted by top guys in first round.  But we're not drafting in the top 20 anyway.  What matters for us is the strength/supply in areas where we'll be shopping.  

We've got five picks in 25-to-91 range, one of the draft sites I looked at has 5 safeties ranked from 29-95.  Maybe one of those 5 will be a good match for one of our 5 picks?  That site has about 5 more in the 4th round range.  Obviously Gute's rankings can often be wildly different, as we well know from Reed and Deguara and Quay and Stokes.  So who knows how he likes guys.  But seems a reasonable chance he might find good value on a Day 2 safety?    

6 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Sounds like MLF saw the same thing many Packers fans saw.  The GB defense just wasn't playing with the same kind of intensity you see when watching the top defenses in the league.

Maybe the narrative of GB not paying for quality assistant coaches can be put to bed?

Does this quote from Hafley mean we shouldn't expect a ton of man/press coverage, and DeJean sounds like a perfect fit?

Id be pretty shocked if were not toward the top 3rd in the league in man yet. with the bodies we have at corner.

Of course its a zone league but well be doing more match instead of drops. The first question he answers he says "I do like to press people." and then two sentences later He continues. No matter what were playing 3-4, 4-3, Press man, which i do love, zone with vision and breaks, quarters and match. It comes down to can you take the players that you have and put them in a position to succeed... and we got guys who can press lets get up there and put hands on them. I thnik thats really important"

Sounds exactly like what I expected.

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

With the 2024 cap being set considerably higher than expected, I'm wondering how many S that were expected to hit the market will now stay with their current team.

This has me concerned. Many should still hit the market though, especially since they're leaving situations where they won't get a full starters snaps. 

I'd really really like at least one FA high safety and an inside linebacker. Second I'd like to buy a RB to split time with Jones and another safety or nickel corner. That should allow us to enter the draft with a real BPA mindset.

Historically this front office has been keen on buying shiny new toys for new DCs. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, thrILL! said:

for anyone who hasn’t seen it yet:

This guy had me psyched for our defense from his opening statement!  Can’t wait to see what he does. 

One of the most generic, full of cliches, rah rah pressers ever. It's going to be all talk no substance, all easier said than done. I really had to go back and watch some Joe Barry press conferences to return me to my happy place.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

One of the most generic, full of cliches, rah rah pressers ever. It's going to be all talk no substance, all easier said than done. I really had to go back and watch some Joe Barry press conferences to return me to my happy place.

the most insulting part of both pressers is when Lafleur bid his ol buddy Joe Barry a found fair well, and praised him as a DC, he had to get his last digs in for being forced to move on from him and hiring a new DC, nice way to welcome in Hafley, Jeff will bring a attacking style of defense, thankfully Joe's passive resistance is a thing of the past😁