Justin Field Trade Options

G08

Listen to this.   Other than trade compensation required, this is single biggest reason Fields hasn’t been traded IMO.

Coaches want boring and predictable over exciting and unpredictable.  They will take unpredictable, but you better be right more often than not.  They want to run their offense as designed.   They don’t want to invent new offenses.  Most aren’t creative.  

12 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Justin Fields is a free agent after 2024 unless a team is willing to tag him, which they won't. This trade makes no sense to me, but what do I know. 

josh sweat is a free agent after 2024 too.

again, Tanner Mckee is the eagles current backup. JF is undoubtedly better. a good backup is essential in this league, especially if you're a super bowl contender. the eagles in 2017 are the best example of that.

the eagles likely aren't going to be able to afford a Sweat extension next year. he is, by all reports, on the trade block. if he walks next year in FA, the BEST philly can get is a 2026 3rd round pick, which is not guaranteed. they just signed someone that could/would effectively replace him in bryce huff.

so, by making the trade, they upgrade their QB room and move a potential draft pick compensation for losing him up a full year.

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Listen to this.   Other than trade compensation required, this is single biggest reason Fields hasn’t been traded IMO.

Coaches want boring and predictable over exciting and unpredictable.  They will take unpredictable, but you better be right more often than not.  They want to run their offense as designed.   They don’t want to invent new offenses.  Most aren’t creative.  

I think it's really the perfect storm for a bad market for him, worse than I expected and my original thought was a pair of 4ths.  You've got him as a player which is definitely not what every offense wants, you've got the conundrum about trading for a player you might not pickup the 5th year option on, you've got more QBs than normal that draft media has 1st and 2nd rd grades on, and then on top of all that you had more FA QBs than expected flooding the market right when Fields should have been moved.  I feel like we were one Russell Wilson release away from moving him, or if Cousins stayed in MIN.  I feel like a couple of those teams might regret their QB choices, and Fields will seem like a better option, but unfortunately that feeling isn't trading a first for him either. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

I think it's really the perfect storm for a bad market for him, worse than I expected and my original thought was a pair of 4ths.  You've got him as a player which is definitely not what every offense wants, you've got the conundrum about trading for a player you might not pickup the 5th year option on, you've got more QBs than normal that draft media has 1st and 2nd rd grades on, and then on top of all that you had more FA QBs than expected flooding the market right when Fields should have been moved.  I feel like we were one Russell Wilson release away from moving him, or if Cousins stayed in MIN.  I feel like a couple of those teams might regret their QB choices, and Fields will seem like a better option, but unfortunately that feeling isn't trading a first for him either. 

A lot of this true.   But a 36 year old Cousins and Russell Wilson who just tanked a franchise aren't super stiff competition.

Brady and P. Manning didn't just come on the market.

If Fields played just marginally better last year he is a hot commodity IMO (but arguments for him staying would be even worse).

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

There’s also the “we have to lock ourselves into a specific scheme to get the best out of Justin.” With no guarantee that will work.

He needs a team who really believes in him and wants to go all-in. But I don’t think any team is confident enough to do that. With Sam Darnold you can fall back to a developmental QB without having to throw out half your gameplan.

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Poles is seemingly telling everyone why Fields is still on the roster (via Rapoport). He’s not done evaluating the rookie options at QB. People are widely choosing not to believe that, and whether that’s because they don’t believe Poles (or Rapoport) or want to further validate their position or narrative on Fields’ worth is irrelevant - he’s still here right now. That’s the only certainty about the situation as we sit today.

Much as most would like to think that means something about our eventual QB for 2024, it really doesn’t. “Trade him or trade the pick” never had any kind of hard deadline of the beginning of FA. The decision on Fields’ future and whether or not we trade the pick doesn’t need to be made until the draft. 

So they just waiting to see, honestly not sure what he would command.  If only a 3rd round pick that could be a pretty good deal I feel.  2nd or 1st rounder no way a team does that but who knows.  Curious if they have had any offers.  

Just playing devils advocate here...we will draft Caleb & trade Justin...but...

If you are an outsider looking in is it not interesting that we are seemingly have no conversations about moving Fields with other teams and are keeping cap space while the team picking #2 overall are stock piling draft picks and probably have a couple of high earning players that they could also use to move up for the hometown kid? 

Again not going to happen but it is interesting that as of 14/03/24 that is how things are lined up.

4 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Again not going to happen but it is interesting that as of 14/03/24 that is how things are lined up.

There's only 12 months in the year. what kind of education system they got over there?

(yes I know)

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

There's only 12 months in the year. what kind of education system they got over there?

(yes I know)

I was sending documents through Adobe sign for e-signature in a time crunch last month and it kept doing that.

Drove me nuts.