2024 49ers offseason

49erurtaza

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Also third round picks. 

Its Fred Warner and then we've kind of set fire to the rest. The best is probably Ambry? Maybe Spoon? 

Yep. I have hopes for Ji’Ayir. He’s been hot and cold, but a real playmaker and he was one of the few real defensive assets in the Super Bowl by my eyes. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Also third round picks. 

Its Fred Warner and then we've kind of set fire to the rest. The best is probably Ambry? Maybe Spoon? 

Massive Ooof. The list is: Spoon, CJ Beathard (ultimate win cuz the resulting comp pick was Purdy?), Fred Warner, Tarvarius Moore, Jalen Hurd, Trey Sermon, Ambry Thomas, Ty Davis-Price, Danny Gray, Ji’Ayir Brown, Cameron Latu, Jake Moody.

the only one I even kind of dig for team fit other than the guys we mentioned was Jalen Hurd lol. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Forge said:

I wouldn't advocate for Ferrell, but I would get it if the point was the price tag difference. Ferrell was just too underwhelming as a pass rusher, which is weird because before joining the niners, he was actually more of an efficient pass rusher than guys like Ebukam, Key and Omenihu, all of whom were ultimately better than Ferrell during their tenure here.

One of the things I would be doing is looking at some 3rd and 4th year players to trade for who haven't quite blown up. Tampa isn't expected to pick up the Joe Tryon fifth year option, so that is a guy I'd look at. Logan Hall maybe as well. Baron Browning. 

I mean the price point changes things on a lot of players but they are really thinking Ferrell is the better player...and that's flat out stupid lol.

Yeah, I'm fine with that strategy but I think they go for more than a proven veteran. 

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean the price point changes things on a lot of players but they are really thinking Ferrell is the better player...and that's flat out stupid lol.

Yeah, I'm fine with that strategy but I think they go for more than a proven veteran. 

A more proven player will cost though.

We've done well with the strategy @Forge mentioned.

Omenihu & Ebukam both were acquisitions in line with that way of thinking.

I have no problem going that route again.

It definitely would be nice to add a proven guy but unless we are getting a guy who's willing to give us a bargain price in order to chase a ring, I don't know how feasible that scenario is.

The big name edge guys to watch are Mack and Bosa. 

The chargers are going to make some moves. They have to because of their cap. I think if you wanted to throw a third at them for either of those guys, it may get it done. Would have to restructure them after acquiring, and each is largely a one year rental (with big dead money in 2025), but if you're wanting to go all in, those are guys you can look at 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

A more proven player will cost though.

We've done well with the strategy @Forge mentioned.

Omenihu & Ebukam both were acquisitions in line with that way of thinking.

I have no problem going that route again.

It definitely would be nice to add a proven guy but unless we are getting a guy who's willing to give us a bargain price in order to chase a ring, I don't know how feasible that scenario is.

Omenihu was a very good move and I would love another similar to that. Ebukam was a free agent signing. 

It's not always true that it will cost more as it depends on that player's contract in most cases. 

Also, I will say that drafting in the second and third rounds isn't easy. My performance hasn't been much better according to our shadow drafts: 

2017 - 

2nd round: no pick (agreed with trade up for foster)
3rd round: Chris Godwin + Dan Feeney

2018 - 

2nd round: Lorenzo Carter
3rd round: Fred Warner + Geron Christian + Antonio Callaway (lmfao, oops)

2019 - 

2nd round: Deebo (was between he and AJ Brown on my post, and ultimately I took the wrong one, tbh) 
3rd round: Julian Love

2021  (I blame covid for this year)  

2nd Round: Joseph Ossai
3rd round: Jabril Cox

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

The chargers are going to make some moves. They have to because of their cap. I think if you wanted to throw a third at them for either of those guys, it may get it done. Would have to restructure them after acquiring, and each is largely a one year rental (with big dead money in 2025), but if you're wanting to go all in, those are guys you can look at 

The type of move I am thinking we make. Not necessarily at that position but it could be for that position or another one. 

I don't think the Chargers bring both back. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Don’t mind trying for Bosa, but if we can’t, I like Josh Uche and bring back Ferrell or draft a run defending edge. 

51 minutes ago, Forge said:

Also, I will say that drafting in the second and third rounds isn't easy. My performance hasn't been much better according to our shadow drafts: 

2017 - 

2018 - 

2019 - 

2nd round: Deebo (was between he and AJ Brown on my post, and ultimately I took the wrong one, tbh) 

I had Creed Humphrey over Banks as my main win. The rest was basically a wash, where the 9ers got Fred and I ended up with more useful roster pieces. We could have used Dylan Parham over Drake Jackson last year, for instance. Honestly, it’s only the first round that they should have handed over to us, lol. Or to any consensus guide. XP I can’t remember many of our collective later draft faves panning out as often as theirs have. But we all favored Wirfs/Lamb over Kinlaw. Derwin James/Minkah over McGlinchey. A variety of actual NFL starters over Solomon Thomas. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forge said:

You're nicer than I am. This is one where I have slammed Kyle because I don't give them any credit for Bosa. 

all the more reason to keep Aiyuk.

it's so silly to trade the only first round pick they ever got right.  

Edited by Herodreamer79

1 hour ago, Forge said:

2017 - 

2018 - 

2019 - 

Doing the Are you smarter and things like that really makes you realize how much of an absolute crapshoot the draft is. Even when you kind of get the value right on draft day getting actual good NFL players is so tough and for a lot situation plays a massive part. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Justone2 said:

Doing the Are you smarter and things like that really makes you realize how much of an absolute crapshoot the draft is. Even when you kind of get the value right on draft day getting actual good NFL players is so tough and for a lot situation plays a massive part. 

Drafting Trill Williams in the 4th round and then watching him go undrafted is like an all time great heart sinking moment in my life lol 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

Drafting Trill Williams in the 4th round and then watching him go undrafted is like an all time great heart sinking moment in my life lol 

Honestly the thing i like most is that if basically puts you on the spot and you have to pick the guy you like most without basically knowing where he will end up and such. Like its "easy" to just list the guys you like most or people you think will bust. Having to actually pick that exact one at the time and doing it for every round is so different and for me one of my absolute favourite things about the draft. 

Looking back outside of my first one in 2018 its an absolute mess and full of complete busts and even guys that never even played a down in the NFL.

• Like 2