49ers fire defensive coordinator Steve Wilks

MaddHatter

37 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I can’t speak on what went wrong in SF but he was a mediocre DC during his time here too. One of many reasons I didn’t want him as HC. Great motivator and position coach but he has some really bad tendencies.

He was a better HC than DC. Maybe its just because he was an interim but he's the only person who's looked functional as a HC in Carolina under Tepper

I did think it was odd that Kyle burned a time out late in the game b/c he didn't like the Defense Wilk's was showing - think it was one where he put 5 guys in zone near the 1st down and only rushed 3-4.  Whatever it was, I remember thinking it strange that an offensive HC would overrule his DC, but clearly this was brewing long before the SB.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

I did think it was odd that Kyle burned a time out late in the game b/c he didn't like the Defense Wilk's was showing - think it was one where he put 5 guys in zone near the 1st down and only rushed 3-4.  Whatever it was, I remember thinking it strange that an offensive HC would overrule his DC, but clearly this was brewing long before the SB.

It goes back to a situation in the Vikings game. Vikings were at their own 40, 16 seconds left in the 1st half, no timeouts, 3rd & 6. He called a cover 0 blitz which made no sense considering the game situation. What happens, of course the Vikings score a deep shot TD. 

After the game Shanny said he disagreed with it & should have called a timeout. 

He clearly used the veto power at least once in the SB 

• Like 1

Scapegoat. The Niners defense was tough this season and he gets fired. Kyle runs the show which makes him look even bad especially if they dont get it right moving forward. At some point Kyle need to look in the mirror at himself instead of pointing the finger at others. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Scapegoat. The Niners defense was tough this season and he gets fired. Kyle runs the show which makes him look even bad especially if they dont get it right moving forward. At some point Kyle need to look in the mirror at himself instead of pointing the finger at others. 

Idk what your saying, this defense had mass issues all season long. Yes on paper it looked fine. But having Wilks run a scheme that was not his was a total failure. Kyle did the right thing for the team with moving on from Wilks. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

No, it was just a bad fit and they needed to move on

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

No, it was just a bad fit and they needed to move on

If thats the case then yeah move on. I just thought the Niners defense was really good this season and yeah they didnt look good against the Packers and Lions and had their struggles in the 2nd half against Reid/Mahomes there was no reason to fire the Wilks. 

Edited by stl4life07

5 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

If thats the case then yeah move on. I just thought the Niners defense was really good this season and yeah they didnt look good against the Packers and Lions and had their struggles in the 2nd half against Reid/Mahomes there was no reason to fire the Wilks. 

It reaped the benefits from the offense, but it really struggled at times. Especially down the stretch. It was like a bottom 10 team in epa and success and I think maybe dvoa from week 11 on. And I don't care what happens...you're sitting there with Bosa, Hargrave, Warner, Greenlaw, Ward....you can't be a bottom 10 defense. One of the worst run defenses in the league by EPA and success rate. 

They turned the ball over quite a bit (5th overall)  which isn't a Wilks thing. 49ers have lead the league in INTs each of the last two years and were 3rd in takeaways last year. 

But the offense just scored all the time so teams couldn't stick with the run and then the 49ers could pounce on the passing attack. In more balanced games, you could really see them struggle at times. 

Like that first Rams game...Rams moved the ball at will. I don't remember who it was, but a rams receiver just missed a pass it went up in the air, 49ers picked it and the game was pretty much over from there. 

• Like 1