Offseason Thread - Free Agency and Trades

CBears019

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

I dont think I would agree with a "fireable offense", but I get what you are saying. Its all abut context.

What if the medicals do come back, and there is something degenerative in his hand or back?

What if Denver comes in an offers the largest draft haul ever? 

Now neither of those are likely, but no one player guarantees you success in the NFL. Peyton Manning Didnt, Andrew Luck didnt, heck the closest one was Tom Brady and even he didnt (not to mention no one saw it coming) But if suddenly you could add 2 Firsts this year, a First in 2025 (or 26) a few mid rounders AND a Starting Player... that would be really hard to walk away from the table for.

Fair nuff.  I guess "within reason" is just sort of implied when talking about thigns like this.  It would be interesting (and I don't think we'll find out) what Poles' price would be to get moved off that spot. I think it would be even nuttier than what you describe and would probably go down as most lopsided trade in history, which is hilarious as if the QB works out I think people will think last years trade will do that. 

It's not even so much about the player for me, it's about the opportunity cost of being in the unusual position of not having a terrible team but having the first pick and that pick is if not a consensus at least a quorum more valuable than normal top QB...  I think if Poles gets the QB wrong either way he's gone, but if you pass on Williams for say, McCarthy, and Williams comes out looking at least good and McCarthy doesn't you're fired harder (sooner)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

i think williams would look good in 18, and it is open with bob tonyan gone

I think he would look best in 3, but that brings me toone of the things that annoys me most across all sports; Retiring Numbers

I just dont get it. I know when they started doing it, no one was actually thinking 30-40-50 years into the future. But its just wild that we just eliminate numbers forever from a team. If anything, it shuld be an honor to be allowed to wear these special numbers. It should be paying respects to those who had it before. Not giving it out as the special numbers in Soccer, but once every 10+ years maybe someone is special enough to get it.

Like dont let a 6th round rookie or backup vet minimum guy have it. But a guy who you are hoping/expecting to be the face of your franchise for the next decade, should honestly be able to pick the number he wants. Or the Biggest Free Agent signing youve ever gotten, but oh no, a guy who played in the 40s and beat up on butchers had that one, so too bad.

This is obviously not a Bears thing, its an all American sports thing. But your name in the Ring of Honor (or whatever each team calls it) should be enough in my mind

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

I think he would look best in 3, but that brings me toone of the things that annoys me most across all sports; Retiring Numbers

I just dont get it. I know when they started doing it, no one was actually thinking 30-40-50 years into the future. But its just wild that we just eliminate numbers forever from a team. If anything, it shuld be an honor to be allowed to wear these special numbers. It should be paying respects to those who had it before. Not giving it out as the special numbers in Soccer, but once every 10+ years maybe someone is special enough to get it.

Like dont let a 6th round rookie or backup vet minimum guy have it. But a guy who you are hoping/expecting to be the face of your franchise for the next decade, should honestly be able to pick the number he wants. Or the Biggest Free Agent signing youve ever gotten, but oh no, a guy who played in the 40s and beat up on butchers had that one, so too bad.

This is obviously not a Bears thing, its an all American sports thing. But your name in the Ring of Honor (or whatever each team calls it) should be enough in my mind

I was looking up the retired numbers earlier.  Some of those guys only played for like 3 years.  How the hell do you retire their number after such a short period of time??

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

agreed - i was mostly thinking of numbers that were available

idk if they still do it, but a few years ago Michigan did a thing where they put retired numbers back into circulation but put a patch on the jersey that honored the player it was retired for. something like that would play. especially since CHI did a "in the HOF we'll retire your number" game then kept getting guys put in the hall

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

idk if they still do it, but a few years ago Michigan did a thing where they put retired numbers back into circulation but put a patch on the jersey that honored the player it was retired for.

In college its even crazier with 85 scholarships plus walk-ons. I know they can double up on different sides of the ball, but you are still really threading the needle there.

I think a patch thing like that would be really cool. I still wouldnt just be giving away 34 or 51, but there are guys who are worthy of some of these often used/staple numbers 

53 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

would LOVE to see Caleb #3 it's my fave qb # besides #1 😢

3,5 7 all pretty great single dig #s retired 

13 is better on Keenen  

0 is pretty great but may take some getting used to for a QB

22 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Fields could be back on there.

makes a ton of sense, nothing at ALL behind old *** rapidly declining Russ 

JF would provide great insurance, and rejuvenate that fanbase BiGtime !

they could even install a package for JF with Russ as starter