Offseason Thread - Free Agency and Trades

CBears019

On 3/18/2024 at 7:31 AM, StLunatic88 said:

Which is such a weird move, they still have DTR there from last year AND they signed Jamies...

On 3/18/2024 at 8:27 AM, dll2000 said:

They will have 3 QBs including the draft pick (likely Caleb).  I guess you have to take 1 or 2 more into camp.

I believe that we will eventually sign a smart older vet to help mentor Caleb 

23 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

i think chase young ends up having a jadaveon clowney type career. bouncing from team to team on 1-2 year deals because he never shows enough for 1 team to commit long term but is never bad enough and has that draft pedigree

Clowney >> CY

19 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

cool, i didnt say anything about that

just saying that CY will be very fortunate to have Clowney's career. and Clowney has been a huGe disappointment 

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

https://x.com/AdamSchefter/status/1775928871705018478?s=20

Big Day for former Bears. Quite the move for the Broncos from Cushenberry to Mustipher

What are the Broncos even doing this offseason...?

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I heard they took a big cap hit.  

Yes, but you can still make smart/useful moves when you are cap strapped. 

27 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

tank-fail.gif

I guess. But that’s just absolutely wasting a very good, if not great defense

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I guess. But that’s just absolutely wasting a very good, if not great defense

Honestly, I think with Wilson being such a massive dead cap hit they are looking to make a bunch of major moves in FA next year and just biding their time this year. Wilson will still be a big dead cap but much less than the $50 mil this year, they can stagger deals to have lower cap hits next year and then bump up the 2026 caps for their new signings as his $32ish mil deal falls off.

9 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Honestly, I think with Wilson being such a massive dead cap hit they are looking to make a bunch of major moves in FA next year and just biding their time this year. Wilson will still be a big dead cap but much less than the $50 mil this year, they can stagger deals to have lower cap hits next year and then bump up the 2026 caps for their new signings as his $32ish mil deal falls off.

Do you guys ever thank that the Rams approach (trade away picks, spend, acquire and go for it) messed up the leagues thinking a bit?  Seems like everyone is trading draft capital for players.  For some teams it makes a ton of sense but there's a lot of mid level and even bottom feeder teams (like us trading for Playskool) making trades when it seems like they're no where near contention or even average.   The draft fan in me wants a team to totally tank for two years and focus on acquiring picks for down the road, and then somehow own like 1/4 of the draft value all in one year. 

10 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Do you guys ever thank that the Rams approach (trade away picks, spend, acquire and go for it) messed up the leagues thinking a bit?  Seems like everyone is trading draft capital for players.  For some teams it makes a ton of sense but there's a lot of mid level and even bottom feeder teams (like us trading for Playskool) making trades when it seems like they're no where near contention or even average.   The draft fan in me wants a team to totally tank for two years and focus on acquiring picks for down the road, and then somehow own like 1/4 of the draft value all in one year. 

At some point you try to win games on grass and stop playing for a future that never comes. 

Rams are outlier, they really sold out and their gamble paid off.  But a mixed approach can be sensible.

Bottom line is you generally flail about until you have your QB.  So much easier to team build with a QB in place.  

But  once it’s time to be paid you have to think.  Do it like KC and not like Dallas or MN and now Atl.  

How good is your guy? Giants come to mind as a don’t.   Philly may be in trouble.  I hope Lions break bank for Goff.  

You can’t pay elite dollar to a non elite QB and his contract comes back up every few years.  You will be mid or just good forever.