Steelers sign QB Russell Wilson

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Danger said:

He's probably the best option available besides maybe Kirk. And a huge upgrade over Kenny picket 

Oh easily, even if he's literally AVERAGE (aka russ last year) people saying he played like **** last year didn't watch broncos games. "But he checked down" and? Mfer you check it down if that's the best read. Brady was the checkdown king. Still has the arm Talent (Courtland will miss him) 

He's still a much better passer than people give him credit for. 

21 minutes ago, massraider said:

People are constantly "Yah, but" with this. But it's the truth.

You don't get to ignore the fact that two teams burned cap dollars to get rid of him. 

He received ZERO guaranteed money in the future. He's toxic, and lucky to have ANY job, that's the deal here. 

Not really sure why fans pretend this stuff can be ignored, when the actual teams have made it clear that it is important.

Seahawks traded him for a haul, they hit the reset button and got a QB their GM liked in return no brainer.

Broncos needed a fall guy because the roster outside of WIlson was pretty bad, Wilson was not the problem in denver in 2023, it was the coaching. There's a reason they started 1-5. But they just gave up a 1st for Payton so Payton gets the benefit of the doubt.

We have actual massage enjoyers in this league shut the bathroom door in Wilson's on the market house.

Steelers Country let's cry.

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Anybody even remotely suggesting Russ is not an upgrade over Kenny Pickett is just being ridiculous. I love FF but my god the takes on here sometimes are absurd. 

That's the internet for you.

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Nobody is making the argument that it’s a bad signing from a financial standpoint. 

The argument is whether the Steelers get an upgrade (or enough of) in talent in Wilson or not and whether that’s where Pittsburgh’s plans at QB end for 2024.

I mean isn't this exactly what the Bucs did just last year with Baker Mayfield? Brought him in on the cheap to compete. 

Hope for upside and if by some miracle that actually occurs, have a QB for the remainder of the season? Anyone seriously going to sit here and suggest, they knew Baker would have one of if not his best season ever as a Buc? Turn that season into a 3 yr $100M the following year?

See the difference between both idiots in Denver and what I believe will occur in Pittsburgh is, I believe Tomlin will have Arthur Smith "cater" his offense around Russell Wilson's strengths as a QB. Incorporate what "He" likes to do in a offense! Minimize the things he doesn't care for.

Not take a Square Peg and Force fit the 💩 out of it into a Square Hole. 

Hackett was hired to get Aaron Rodgers from GB. When that failed miserably he attempted to have Russ, run Aaron's offense. Idiot!

Payton, is so GD egotistical , my way or the highway with his approach. Let's treat you like Drew Brees, Shut up and run MY offense, the way I want it whether you like it or not. Idiot!

Watch Smith go with a Run Heavy approach (already his philosophy), with play action/deep shots like Wilson ran in Seattle for almost a decade.

Edited by Nabbs4u

8 hours ago, Football_Bachelor08 said:

Now watch as he fails there, too. If he sucked with an offensive genius like Payton, Tomlin and Arthur Smith will get even less out of him.

This might actually be what makes Wilson great. His sucking mixed with defensive minded coaches and inept offensive coordinators also sucking might turn the suckage into goodness. 

37 minutes ago, Xmad said:

Oh easily, even if he's literally AVERAGE (aka russ last year) people saying he played like **** last year didn't watch broncos games. "But he checked down" and? Mfer you check it down if that's the best read. Brady was the checkdown king. Still has the arm Talent (Courtland will miss him) 

Checking down doesn’t always mean you’re missing things, but it’s pretty well documented how much Russ has been missing open receivers and creating pressure for himself this year. He’s been having trouble throwing over the middle to boot. 

I actually think it’s the opposite - if you box score scout Russ for 2023 (and/or watch highlights), you’ll largely find yourself thinking he’s a good QB. But if you watch how he bails from the pocket, doesn’t key on open receivers, and chucks it up to his receivers, you’ll see why Payton benched him. Which is kinda saying something, because Payton was getting similar play from Siemian/Winston/Hill, who are all bad.

I don’t think Russ is horrendous, not Pickett level, but I do think he was actually not good last year. Pittsburgh might help him, but he didn’t fit with what Payton wanted at all.

• Like 2

As a Raider fan I approve this signing. Yes Wilson is better than our QB's but I just think he wasn't a fit for our lock room and AP. Now our GM will have to prove he can do his job so hopefully we find a long term solution in the draft. Steelers were my 2nd fav team growing up so I hope he does well there and keeps Tomlin's seat cool a bit longer.

Steeler Country...Lets BURN the AFC North. Winter is coming...

1 hour ago, Xmad said:

This is quite the opposite. Wilson looks like he had an acceptable season if you box score scout. If you watch the games, you realize how painful it was watching him try to run that offense. The design of that offense was Sean Payton saying, please don't screw this up, Russ. And it's not because Payton is a bad coach.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

I think Peyton’s offense just wasn’t a fit for Russ TBH (and Gase is well, Gase). It’s a pocket passing quick drop rhythm passing offense. I think too many people went for the “Let Russ cook” combined with “size of Brees” and thought it would work. 

Russ is better in a run first offense that takes advantage of his ability to be moved in PA with a big arm for shots downfield. That’s 100% Arthur Smiths offense right there. 

Now for the record - I wanted the Fields direction due to the upside of his improvement. There’s a lot of reasons not to like this move. But sometimes player/offense just isn’t a fit. 

Trouble is, Russ is now playing on an offense which historically works by working the middle of the field - which he has proven he cannot do. Add to the fact, he doesn't sense pressure, and no longer has the mobility to bai from the pocket effectively - I don't see him playing well in Pittsburgh this year.  

3 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Trouble is, Russ is now playing on an offense which historically works by working the middle of the field - which he has proven he cannot do. Add to the fact, he doesn't sense pressure, and no longer has the mobility to bai from the pocket effectively - I don't see him playing well in Pittsburgh this year.  

If he doesn’t he doesn’t.  I’ve been looking over the passing charts from Smiths QB’s and I think the MOF stuff is overblown a bit.  He’s a PA deep shot kind of offense which is was Russ is good at.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Football_Bachelor08 said:

So much cognitive dissonance here, I can't even comprehend 

It was a joke.

I don’t think Wilson was even all that bad last year. He was bad when he was lording over the Broncos and had his way like a king, but Wilson is going to do well in Pittsburgh. They’re now a legit threat. Team won 10 damn games with Kenny Pickett.

• Like 2