Packers Signing RB Josh Jacobs

I mean....just based on the eye test, I don't think the Packers run blocking is good either. Jacobs also ranks pretty low in breakaway runs since he's been in the league. He's great at picking up tough yards though (leads the league in missed tackles). Definitely an upgrade over what Dillon was giving us 

I'd draft a speedy RB to complement his skillset but maybe the Packers are content with Wilson and are planning for Jacobs to be a workhorse 

35 minutes ago, persiandud said:

I mean....just based on the eye test, I don't think the Packers run blocking is good either. Jacobs also ranks pretty low in breakaway runs since he's been in the league. He's great at picking up tough yards though (leads the league in missed tackles). Definitely an upgrade over what Dillon was giving us 

I'd draft a speedy RB to complement his skillset but maybe the Packers are content with Wilson and are planning for Jacobs to be a workhorse 

Based on results and various grading/ranking sites, most of the Packers OL graded out pretty damn well as pass blockers...and not so great as run blockers. Which lines up with what we've seen multiple times. Just not great at moving people in the run game.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Striker said:

Based on results and various grading/ranking sites, most of the Packers OL graded out pretty damn well as pass blockers...and not so great as run blockers. Which lines up with what we've seen multiple times. Just not great at moving people in the run game.

absolutely, that lines up with what I see. our OL's pass pro is excellent, but I don't see these fat fellas pushing the opposing fatties too much in the run game 

FWIW, ESPN has the Packers OL ranked 2nd in pass protection 

8 minutes ago, persiandud said:

absolutely, that lines up with what I see. our OL's pass pro is excellent, but I don't see these fat fellas pushing the opposing fatties too much in the run game 

Yeah, that tracks too.

I think Tom was actually good as a run blocker last year and Jenkins has been good as a run blocker. So if they can get any help from whoever the next starting guard is, they could be in a lot better shape.

1 minute ago, Striker said:

Yeah, that tracks too.

I think Tom was actually good as a run blocker last year and Jenkins has been good as a run blocker. So if they can get any help from whoever the next starting guard is, they could be in a lot better shape.

Graham Barton, come on down! 

1 hour ago, persiandud said:

This is why I want GB to use 25 to draft iOL, or a tackle and play them at guard day 1. Let’s start blowing **** open on the ground. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, persiandud said:

Graham Barton, come on down! 

If they went IOL in round 1, I'm torn between Barton and JPJ, assuming they'd both still be on the board at #25. (Both can play OG and Center--Barton perhaps better at OG and JPJ perhaps better at Center.) Then again, if you want strictly an OG, a case might be made taking a guy like Cooper Beebe, Christian Haynes, Zak Zinter, or Christian Mahogany a bit later in the draft. Heck, you could take Suamataia in round 2 and at least try him at RG, whilst keeping him your primary backup at both OT spots. I think if a CB who can play press is still there at #25 (e.g., Kool-Aid McKinstry), that would be better than an IOL, especially given how many good IOL prospects there appears to be in this draft, not to mention OT's. 

10 hours ago, DWhitehurst said:

If they went IOL in round 1, I'm torn between Barton and JPJ, assuming they'd both still be on the board at #25. (Both can play OG and Center--Barton perhaps better at OG and JPJ perhaps better at Center.) Then again, if you want strictly an OG, a case might be made taking a guy like Cooper Beebe, Christian Haynes, Zak Zinter, or Christian Mahogany a bit later in the draft. Heck, you could take Suamataia in round 2 and at least try him at RG, whilst keeping him your primary backup at both OT spots. I think if a CB who can play press is still there at #25 (e.g., Kool-Aid McKinstry), that would be better than an IOL, especially given how many good IOL prospects there appears to be in this draft, not to mention OT's. 

I'm still opposed to taking IOL in the first round, but not violently opposed as I've been in the past.  Especially for where we pick.

When I was reading about JPJ, though.....we are going to really want him.  He was a wrestler and his tape just looks different than everyone else's, like cleaner, better, more pro-ready.  

I'll go out on a limb here, he is a "can't miss" OL prospect with two spot flexibility at C and G.

I've really come a long way on him.    And I'm still on board with the Washington tackle, Fautanu, as he just looks like he could be a devastating guard if moved there.

If we miss out on those two in the first, for sure Barton will be on our radar, but that UConn kid, Haynes, look to be the real deal as well.  But I'm not thinking first round for Haynes (UConn), maybe end of second or third.  

And I don't know what to think of Beebe just yet.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, craig said:

Would sure be awesome if Jacobs came in healthy, stayed healthy, and ended up being a really good, diverse all-purpose back.  Strong/quick/decisive enough to run well between tackles.  Decisive enough and quick enough to do well with some outside runs, too.  Strong/powerful/decisive for converting short-yardage 1st downs and TD's.  A really good pass receiver.  A really good pass blocker.  A good back for 4th-quarter drives when MLF is trying to run clock.  

Hopefully being on a new and a winning team with a healthy and happy culture will be super energizing for him, that can often happen to guys.  Hopefully the o-line will extend some of the improved run-blocking they showed late last season.  (Who knows how Rhyan might do if he has a full camp as the starter and is getting all the snaps? Or perhaps if we draft a really good guard who is a much better run-blocked than Runyan ever was?). 

Am optimistic.  

I think much of this will be the case.  Although Jacobs had success for the Raiders, he could end up doing what Marshawn Lynch did for Seattle coming from Buffalo.  Found his niche, fit in and carried the load for that offense.  Love has lots of weapons to rely on.

Perhaps this was talked about earlier, but wonder how much input Bassacia (Spell?) had in getting Jacobs to GB.  He was the Raiders HC for a short time.

4 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

wonder how much input Bassacia (Spell?) had in getting Jacobs to GB.  He was the Raiders HC for a short time.

I'm curious to know if he spoke with Adams about playing in Green Bay....

.... Adams and Rogers both seemed to be done with playing in Green Bay, and I feel like if you read between the lines they both realized they left a well-run organization for train wrecks

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I'm curious to know if he spoke with Adams about playing in Green Bay....

.... Adams and Rogers both seemed to be done with playing in Green Bay, and I feel like if you read between the lines they both realized they left a well-run organization for train wrecks

I don't think you even need to read that hard between those lines.  It is pretty clear.

• Like 1