Packers Signing RB Josh Jacobs

11 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Stevie Wonder has better vision than Wilson does. Dillon is 10x the back. Really hope he's nothing more than a PS/emergency RB option.

We’ll see. Lot of moving pieces and the draft changes the entire script. I still put Wilson at better odds to be here in camp than AJD. Let’s see what the next few days and then the draft bring. It’s not worth it for me to worry until then. RB will have options. 

Just now, Dubz41 said:

Cherry pick much?  IIRC he also had a broken hand?   Dillon has a role on this team at the right price. That role would include some od Deguras vacated snaps. Keep Love upright!

It's not cherry picking, it's context.    People said he didn't run well because the OL hadn't gelled.    The OL was a real strength the last 8 games of the season.    Dillon was not.       I don't hate the dude, I have nothing but respect for him as a person.     I agree he's good in pass protection and maybe that's enough value to keep him.    As a runner,  no.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Refugee said:

We’ll see. Lot of moving pieces and the draft changes the entire script. I still put Wilson at better odds to be here in camp than AJD. Let’s see what the next few days and then the draft bring. It’s not worth it for me to worry until then. RB will have options. 

Sure, considering Wilson's on the active roster and Dillon isn't. Just hope that the plan is not for Wilson to be anywhere near the 3 deep. 

Jacobs is going to cook in this offense, I'm much more concerned about his health than his production.  

Love and the passing game is going to provide Jacobs an opportunity he's never seen before.  That Raider OL was atrocious last year.  I mean really bad.  We'll need to draft another DIVERSE RB to take some of the load off Jacobs and to groom.  

As with any FA, you have to be concerned about his hunger.  Does he get the bag and just play not to get hurt?  I think the Packers ability to get out of the contract helps with that.

I think his opportunity in this offense will be a big change and eye opening for him. JMO

Edited by NFLGURU
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Jacobs is going to cook in this offense, I'm much more concerned about his health than his production.  

As with any FA, you have to be concerned about his hunger.  Does he get the bag and just play not to get hurt?  I think the Packers ability to get out of the contract helps with that.

I think his opportunity in this offense  will be a big change and eye opening for him. JMO

From what I’ve heard from Raider fans, the guy is a dog and really just wants to win. No one will replace 33 in the locker room but sounds like this guy is hardwired to go get it and is a great teammate. Hope it’s all true, and like you said-just stay healthy and he will be able to prove it. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

He was a free agent for 12 hours. LOL

If he wanted 2 for 10 we should have rushed to get that done. 

I was implying he thought he would get a 2 year deal, say for 14-16m, with the likelihood of getting at least 10m out of it.  So in his mind, leaving GB would give him a shot at another 4.5+ million in career earnings.  Understandable to walk in those circumstances.  Turns out the market wasn’t there though.  

Edited by LacyIsGood

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Stevie Wonder has better vision than Wilson does. Dillon is 10x the back. Really hope he's nothing more than a PS/emergency RB option.

looking at 2023:
RB1: great results when healthy, but needed to be available more

RB2: awful start, improved as year went on. then injured and bad again late. Upgradeable

RB3: just bad

looking fwd to 2024:

RB1: All-Pro potential, generally available

RB2: ? not on roster

RB3: still really bad, needs an upgrade

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

looking at 2023:
RB1: great results when healthy, but needed to be available more

RB2: awful start, improved as year went on. Upgradeable

RB3: just bad

looking fwd to 2024:

RB1: All-Pro potential, generally available

RB2: ? not on roster

RB3: still really bad, needs an upgrade

Yep. We cannot rely on what we have in the room, outside of Jacobs, to be anything more than emergency options. We need 2 more backs from outside the organization, that much is abundantly clear. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I'd actually like to see what he could do with the o-line after it is "gelling" and established.

Last year it looked like that line got better when Dillon was injured.  

While some may feel it was cause and effect with Jones getting healthy and taking carries, I feel like it was more than just Jones being Jones.

I still have use for Dillon, but it is post draft.

The line did improve later in the season.  I still think the issue with Dillon is getting him running forward instead of parallel.  He has horrible balance when changing directions, and he doesn't change direction particularly quickly.  When he hasn't built up momentum, smaller players will grab hold of him.  While they don't bring him down, he kind of gets stuck in the mud and other defenders come in for the tackle.  

At this point, I think AJ is what he is, that dog isn't learning any more new tricks.  If the plays are going to be similar or the same (and why wouldn't they be, the offense is usually effective), I don't think he is a great fit stylistically.  He won't be effective if we only run to his strengths 2 times per game.

AJ IMO comes down to the cost.  I would like him back.  But we can't pay him like a starter, or really even a starter-in-waiting.