How close is the rest of the league to Kansas City?

General Tso

2 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

I'm still in disbelief about threads like this lol. I've been a Chiefs fan longer than Patty has been alive so I remember all of the old pain still haha

It’s so surreal. I remember when we couldn’t make a kick in the playoffs, and had constantly brutal bad luck no matter who was coaching or quarterbacking. It’s weird to be confident 

• Like 3

There are plenty of teams on the same level each year. Could maybe sell me the idea that no one is on the Chiefs level on like, a year to year basis. But like, the Ravens were better last year, basically all season, by just about any objective measurement. The Bills, the 49ers, the Eagles, have all had teams better or equal to us in recent years. It's not that the league is far off, it's just that KC has a handful of coaches and players that step up to a substantial degree in the crucial moments, and some of these other teams have had players and coaches do the opposite in those same moments against KC. We're not really blowing out other top teams in the playoffs. We'll win comfortably against like, Tennessee and Houston and Miami and Pittsburgh. But it isn't like we're blowing out Balt or Buffalo or Cincy or San Fran. A lot of coin flip games where KC's guys have just made the big plays at the right time (and, to be fair, two games where they didn't, in the 2018 and 2021 AFC Championship games.)

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jakuvious said:

There are plenty of teams on the same level each year. Could maybe sell me the idea that no one is on the Chiefs level on like, a year to year basis. But like, the Ravens were better last year, basically all season, by just about any objective measurement. The Bills, the 49ers, the Eagles, have all had teams better or equal to us in recent years. It's not that the league is far off, it's just that KC has a handful of coaches and players that step up to a substantial degree in the crucial moments, and some of these other teams have had players and coaches do the opposite in those same moments against KC. We're not really blowing out other top teams in the playoffs. We'll win comfortably against like, Tennessee and Houston and Miami and Pittsburgh. But it isn't like we're blowing out Balt or Buffalo or Cincy or San Fran. A lot of coin flip games where KC's guys have just made the big plays at the right time (and, to be fair, two games where they didn't, in the 2018 and 2021 AFC Championship games.)

Big reason we needed CJ back. He just always seems to affect a play at the most perfect time, maybe not as far as numbers but he's always clutch, I feel.

4 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

It’s so surreal. I remember when we couldn’t make a kick in the playoffs, and had constantly brutal bad luck no matter who was coaching or quarterbacking. It’s weird to be confident 

My first 15 years as a Chiefs fan were, to me, defined by Andrew Luck recovering his own fumble for a touchdown, and Marcus Mariota catching his own deflected pass for a touchdown. Those types plays were what it meant to be a Chiefs fan for like two or three decades. I wasn't old enough for the missed field goals of the Marty Schottenheimer 90s teams, but I imagine the feeling was the same.

• Like 1

Just now, Chiefs_5627 said:

Big reason we needed CJ back. He just always seems to affect a play at the most perfect time, maybe not as far as numbers but he's always clutch, I feel.

Yeah, the man gets a lot of pressures at really critical times. Doesn't always get the sack, but it's almost always been enough to still ruin the play when it matters most.

• Like 2

On 3/12/2024 at 11:54 AM, lavar703 said:

They have Pat Mahomes. Nobody else does so they’ll always be a step-ahead. 

Its this simple.....if you have Lebron you always just have an advantage. And Chris Jones is arguably the best DL in the league. Best player on both sides of the ball.

Cincy's not too far behind. Burrow has a winning record vs Mahomes. As long as he can stay healthy, they're right there.

By seasons end, I think the Chargers will be close as well. KC is still likely winning the division but I foresee some intense chess matches between Harbaugh and Andy.

2 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

I'm still not to this point yet lol, I watch most games through my fingers haha

Yes we definitely have a complex from years of watching this team lose in heartbreaking fashion.

it doesn’t help that Mahomes always likes to keep it close with a nail-biter finish, definitely subtracted some years off the old life span. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, showtime said:

If Baltimore had a QB that could throw the ball against elite teams in the postseason, we could be talking. But they don't.

it’s wild that everybody was mad at Baltimore for putting the ball in the MVPs hands.

On 3/13/2024 at 3:40 PM, Chiefer said:

Yes we definitely have a complex from years of watching this team lose in heartbreaking fashion.

it doesn’t help that Mahomes always likes to keep it close with a nail-biter finish, definitely subtracted some years off the old life span. 

I think keeping it close is a Reid thing, not a Mahomes team. Our average point differential improved once we got Mahomes, but Reid still coached too many close games that we had been dominating for like the first 45 minutes (especially in 2020)

On 3/13/2024 at 1:11 PM, Jakuvious said:

The way I look at it is, Mahomes in a market where every extendable QB is worth $55MM/year, is worth probably about $40MM/year more than what he's making, so the Chiefs are getting about a 20% year to year salary cap benefit that no other team can have. That makes the Chiefs are the best team by a wide margin over any multi-season sample, but in any one season a team can push their chips in to close the gap with good FA/short term trades or using salary cap voodoo.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99