How close is the rest of the league to Kansas City?

General Tso

KC is back to back SB defending champs. However, in both SBs it was a one score game and in their AFCGs it was also one score games.

So are they just marginally better than the next best teams or because of their 2 titles they are actually very far ahead?

I mean, it depends on the team, obviously, but it's pretty close between the Titans, Colts, Broncos, Vikings, Bears, and maybe the Cowboys.  The difference can't be more than like a couple hundred miles.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If the Raiders get a QB we'll be better

Seems like kind of a big if given how notoriously difficult good ones are to find 

• Like 1

They have an edge in coach and QB that few teams can overcome, which IMO is why they consistently win close playoff games. This year their defense was elite too....that's really tough to overcome.

But there are a few teams that are still close....I mean their last two playoff games against Buffalo and Cincinnati the two years before were incredibly close games. The Niners are obviously close, having two fourth quarter leads over the Chiefs in those Super Bowls. I think this year the Rams will be back in that discussion as well.

So I say marginally better based on the coach/QB for the most part. I won't bet on an AFC team to knock them out but I don't see them threepeating either

It's not that they're so far ahead, it's that they're consistent. Obviously this consistency stems from Mahomes. I don't think they're head and shoulders above the league skill-wise, though. Like 5-6 different teams can very realistically beat them any given Sunday.

• Like 1

They have great team building. The courage to move on from Tyreek. Investing I defense and oline over wr. 

Theg centered around Mahomes, but not beholden to him either.

Mahomes and Reid is a perfect HC+QB combo. 

If they can find an elite wr somewhere they will be as good a team as anyone ha ever been.

Several teams are close but the hardest thing to do against the Chiefs in the playoffs is to close the game at the end, against Mahomes who is of course great in the clutch but also their defense is often at its best in the fourth quarter...And the Chiefs have only lost 4 games by 2 scores or more since 2018, including the playoffs so winning against them by a blowout is not realistic.In the last two playoff runs, the Bills, Bengals, Eagles and 49ers had all a chance to win the game at the end but they were unable to close the game...

The Pats in their dynasty, it was the same thing...all-time great QB who was very clutch with a defense that was often capable of stepping up in big moments...that's the key to winning one or more super bowl...very rare a team will blowout every team in a playoff run...It can happen 1-2 times but every playoff game is not realistic

Edited by Steelersfan43
  • Like 1

I'll echo what others have said. The league is better than the chiefs. There are a few rosters id rate as better. The problem is that the rosters aren't better by enough to overcome the IT factor at QB, at least not consistently.

Basically you don't need to be a little better than the chiefs, you need to be better by enough of a margin that it's not coming down to you needing to stop Mahommes in the final two minutes 

• Like 4