Titans sign WR Calvin Ridley

Forge

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Weird thing is that I don't think TEN is in a position where overspending like this really does anything for them. They're not in a window to make a super bowl run, despite having a rookie QB. They're clearly rebuilding and so you throw a ton of money at a WR who has, at best, a questionable past and was like average last year?

I mean, sure.

I don't hate this deal for them because they need to do something on offense... but man in a couple years people are going to look at this contract and just ask why the hell did they do this? lol

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Weird thing is that I don't think TEN is in a position where overspending like this really does anything for them. They're not in a window to make a super bowl run, despite having a rookie QB. They're clearly rebuilding and so you throw a ton of money at a WR who has, at best, a questionable past and was like average last year?

I mean, sure.

Well there is a salary floor, for one thing.

Second, you want to evaluate if Levis is the guy. Give him some credible weapons and an offensive line and evaluate him for this year and next.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I mean, sure.

Are they just supposed to give up on competing this coming season? I 100% expect to only win like 6 games or whatever this season, but I dunno why a franchise would just throw their arms up and accept that. And you can't make Will Levis keep throwing to only DeAndre Hopkins. Ridley even at his level of play this past season is better than anything else on our pathetic WR depth chart after Hopkins.

1 minute ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I don't hate this deal for them because they need to do something on offense... but man in a couple years people are going to look at this contract and just ask why the hell did they do this? lol

In a couple years Ridley is going to be like the 20th highest paid WR or something and few are even going to care or remember the contract unless he's just some colossal all-time bust who can't manage to get on the field.

What this contract will be a true test of is Brian Callahan's ability to scout for his offense and help develop/return Ridley to form. That'll be a far more important evaluation from this deal than the money given.

10 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

If only they had drafted an elite WR in say, the second round and then simply paid him what he was worth……

🫠

6 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Are they just supposed to give up on competing this coming season? I 100% expect to only win like 6 games or whatever this season, but I dunno why a franchise would just throw their arms up and accept that. And you can't make Will Levis keep throwing to only DeAndre Hopkins. Ridley even at his level of play this past season is better than anything else on our pathetic WR depth chart after Hopkins.

In a couple years Ridley is going to be like the 20th highest paid WR or something and few are even going to care or remember the contract unless he's just some colossal all-time bust who can't manage to get on the field.

What this contract will be a true test of is Brian Callahan's ability to scout for his offense and help develop/return Ridley to form. That'll be a far more important evaluation from this deal than the money given.

I haven't see the structure so maybe they have outs, but if they are paying 31 year old Calvin Ridley $23 million to play WR I'd imagine people will not be looking at that very favorably. Sure the contract will come down comparatively, but that is still way too much money for him.

But I don't rate him highly at all so take that for what it is worth. I have very little faith he is getting back to anything close to what he did in his best years in ATL. He had some big games for the Jags, but my god he also was abysmal in a lot of them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Like why let AJ Brown go? This is idiotic mismanagement I’m sorry Titans fans 

Yeah but no one with any say running the Titans today was here when that happened so can’t really call them for it… Guessing they should just give up seeing as the previous powers that be ruined things. 

4 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Why do people keep bringing up AJ Brown at this point? It's different management.

Yeah but people don’t know much about the Titans they just all own Crystal balls and don’t realise it’s completely new management. Also, I think it was you who said before, they need to do something to see if Levis is the guy instead of surrounding him with turnstiles and no options to throw to at all. 

The way most people are talking the franchise should just fold and stop even being a team because of this contract and trading AJ two seasons ago. 

Edited by Titansfan

10 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

If only they had drafted an elite WR in say, the second round and then simply paid him what he was worth……

🫠

Yeah and if only those people who did that got fired or something… Oh wait…. 

Maybe the new regime is to blame for that two years ago as well. 

Edited by Titansfan