Lions sign DT DJ Reader (2 years, $27.5M)

RaidersAreOne

That is a huge pickup.  He helps an already great run defense but also helps bring pressure up the middle.  We struggled hard there last year and that allowed a lot of QBs to step up and avoid pressure from Hutch.  Adding Reader and to a much lesser extent Davenport, we should be greatly improved in the pressure category.  Also getting Houston back will be huge.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

That is a huge pickup.  He helps an already great run defense but also helps bring pressure up the middle.  We struggled hard there last year and that allowed a lot of QBs to step up and avoid pressure from Hutch.  Adding Reader and to a much lesser extent Davenport, we should be greatly improved in the pressure category.  Also getting Houston back will be huge.  

I'm incredibly optomistic about the Lions, including signing Reader.

But I hope for your guys' sake, the Davenport signing isn't the plan for the other edge position. I can darn near promise you he's going to be hurt and be “hurt" a lot.

Edited by Duluther

2 minutes ago, Duluther said:

I'm incredibly optomistic about the Lions, including signing Reader.

But I hope for your guys' sake, the Davenport signing isn't the plan for the other edge position. I can darn near promise you he's going to hurt and "hurt" a lot.

Paschal improved as the year went ot and Houston will be back.  Houston isn't injury prone but did have a significant injury.  We also likely will spend a draft pick on the line.  I would say that, with a better DL coach, and adding Reader/Davenport should be significantly upgraded line. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Trojan said:

He's torn each quad in the last couple years, theoretically good signing but obvious risk

Still better than Benito Jones, Levi Onwuzurike and Brodric Martin. The last two being healthy scratches all season at the Lions thinnest position depth wise. 

ETA: Nevermind, Benito Jones signed with the Dolphins. 😂

Edited by Louis Friend