Chiefs Trade CB L’Jarius Snead to Titans

TheRealMcCoy

Great feisty CB that tackles/blitzes as well as anybody. Sad to see him go but kinda part of the deal when you only have so many slices of pie. A little disappointed on the comp but I initially thought a 2 and 4 when everyone was confident a 1 was coming and the longer it took I just figured we were keeping him. Seems like tags rarely work out like the fans want lol

You'll love the guy Titans fans! If ya get a chance do some homework on his life story, there might be a movie made on the guy someday. Good for him and his fam for getting his 💰💰

✌️

Edited by Chiefs_5627
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Xmad said:

Jamal Adams would like a word. But nah nobody wants to trade assets for a premium player in a loaded QB draft class when the majority of teams value this QB class more than a Top 10-ish CB, I'd throw a second if the ravens had the cap room for it but we don't. A third when the titans have all the cap space makes sense for them. 

And how did that whole Jamal Adams thing go?  😆

It was generally seen as a pretty crazy trade at the time.  Despite him being seen as an absolute impact player at the time of the deal.  And results bore out that it was in fact, a very bad idea.  Now Jamal Adams is...free for anybody who wants him, a few years later.

It's just too volatile and situation dependent a position for teams to really value paying the guy.  Too easy for it to go just completely wrong in a hurry.

That's why staring down the barrel of paying premium money to a good CB...the Chiefs just opted to ship him out for a 3rd round pick a year from now.  Not worth it.

8 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

And how did that whole Jamal Adams thing go?  😆

It was generally seen as a pretty crazy trade at the time.  Despite him being seen as an absolute impact player at the time of the deal.  And results bore out that it was in fact, a very bad idea.  Now Jamal Adams is...free for anybody who wants him, a few years later.

It's just too volatile and situation dependent a position for teams to really value paying the guy.  Too easy for it to go just completely wrong in a hurry.

That's why staring down the barrel of paying premium money to a good CB...the Chiefs just opted to ship him out for a 3rd round pick a year from now.  Not worth it.

Injuries, he was a good impact player but injuries.

pssstt that's the entire NFL.

Not worth paying him when they're already paying for 3-5 elite players and trying to win a 3rd ring. You don't pay your top DB when you don't already have a top 2 secondary.

The NFL values good secondary play they just only do 3-4 year deals now. 

24 minutes ago, Xmad said:

Injuries, he was a good impact player but injuries.

pssstt that's the entire NFL.

Not worth paying him when they're already paying for 3-5 elite players and trying to win a 3rd ring. You don't pay your top DB when you don't already have a top 2 secondary.

The NFL values good secondary play they just only do 3-4 year deals now. 

I just don't see the same reluctance to do deals with other "premium" positions.  QBs, WRs, Pass Rushers, Offensive Tackles and heck...even Interior Offensive Linemen at this point.

Everybody values good secondary play...they just don't generally tend to value it enough to hang onto the guys long-term because there's so much volatility and such a short shelf life to a lot of it.  There are a few exceptions to the rule, but few and far between.  More common is something like this...where a team with a top tier secondary prefers to just cycle through and look for a new guy instead of paying the established quality player.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

That’s small compensation for a great player. Chiefs must have really wanted that cap space for something they’re cooking.

A list I read had the Chiefs as having the least cap space out of the 25 teams that were under the cap (before free agency).

• Like 1

Seems pretty light on KC’s end. It’s better than nothing (or a comp pick) for someone they had no intention of keeping, though. So if that was indeed the case, then at least they improved on that value. But still, a top CB for a future third is pretty nice.

Great trade for Tennessee. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, kramxel said:

Never rated him as high as most people. He's a good player, but I've never seen him as some shutdown corner. He definitely can be had. 

Trade value seems OK.

I mean he was shut down guy just last season…

14 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

I mean he was shut down guy just last season…

Psh, that's just based on facts. What about the feeling you get watching him?

Remember: feelings over facts, especially when evaluating professional athletes.

Veach sure has had an interesting time navigating the franchise tag in his time as GM. I would think he would obviously have known the contract that Sneed was looking for before he even placed the tag on him. He also would have known all of the medical history that could have been a concern when talking about a long term deal.

On the outside looking in it seemed that the Chiefs slow played this through free agency with the price being the close to $20 million carried against the cap only to trade him for lower level compensation (which seems like it was based on age + contract expectations + injury concerns)...none of which are new factors.