Jets trade for Hassan Reddick

adamq

6 hours ago, Football_Bachelor08 said:

For that price, the Rams could have gotten him easily. Epic fail, McSnead

I'm of the opinion given the compensation,  Howie might of did Reddick a solid by keeping him relatively close to home. Was born in Camden. Rather then shipping him out west. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Nabbs4u

Is and odd move, they just wanted a cheaper version of Hasson Reddick?  Huff honestly doubt he is ever as great as Reddick has been.  What the Eagles think Reddick is on the decline I guess, get a younger player but no promises he is at that level consistently.

Huff was on a roster with Quinnen Williams who is more dominating than any DT on the Eagles, also have better edges top to bottom then the Eagles with Johnson, McDonald, Franklin-Myers and Solomon Thomas taking a lot of the attention.  Sure both Reddick and Huff lead their teams in sacks but Huff was on a better front with better edge talent to worry about.

Will be curious how it works out, and the Eagles need Carter and Davis to take their game to another level no question.  Also they need Nolan Smith to become something, but if they think he can fill the void of Reddick as the pass rushing OLB then Huff is more a DE, not sure that will happen but time will tell.  Not sure Nolan Smith has the pass rushing skills needed to take Reddicks place.  Yes they still have Graham but he is clearly on the decline and Sweat so that helps a bit. 

Eagles have done well though bringing in Devin White, instantly helps the worst part of that D last year the LB core, and bringing back CGJ is awesome that guy is elite when healthy and super versatile.    

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Is and odd move, they just wanted a cheaper version of Hasson Reddick?  Huff honestly doubt he is ever as great as Reddick has been.  What the Eagles think Reddick is on the decline I guess, get a younger player but no promises he is at that level consistently.

Guess we'll find out if/when Hassan gets a contract extension? This move was strictly about the money. Reddick wanting to be paid like the top 4 sack artist he's been over the last 4 seasons (50.5) and the Eagles deciding to allocate those funds elsewhere. 

The real question is , was he willing to play on that 2024 salary for the Eagles or was it made clear from his agent a potential holdout was coming? Reddick potentally being disgruntled all season if forced to,  not extended thus feeling not appreciated? Becoming a lockerroom problem?

Whether Nolan and or Bryce individually or combined can replicate his production is the $15M question? Let's be real though, with Reddick,  Sweat and BG on the 2024 roster, we would never of found out about either properly barring injury. 

Be shocked if a restructure/2-3 yr extension wasn't reached in the coming weeks. If not, OTA's and TC should be fun.

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Jets feel like they're going all-in this offseason for the last year or two of Rodgers. Which makes sense.

They all but have to at this point. Otherwise what was the purpose of signing him?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, drew39k said:

Just weird logic here by the Jets. Lose Huff for nothing,then give up a 3rd(or 2nd if he plays well) for his replacement?

Id have understood drafting someone with a third because then the player would be cheap, but here he is expensive too.

Reddick is pretty clearly a better player, but with age factored in, I more or less agree with this. 

21 hours ago, drew39k said:

Just weird logic here by the Jets. Lose Huff for nothing,then give up a 3rd(or 2nd if he plays well) for his replacement?

Id have understood drafting someone with a third because then the player would be cheap, but here he is expensive too.

Not really.

That 3rd rd pick is 2 years from now. The Jets are going "All IN" ala TB and LAR hoping to strike lighting in a bottle as well with Aaron Rodgers. 

That pick will not help Rodgers in 2026, he will be gone!  No 3rd rd pick Rookie was guaranteed to help their 2024 SB aspirations. 

Acquiring the Pass Rusher with the 4th most sacks in the NFL over the last 4 seasons, does!! Reddick is better then Huff and will probably feast in NY with double digit sacks again. Because unlike the idiots named Sean Desai and Matt Patricia.  There is no way that defensive staff is stupid enough to drop Hassan into coverage 24% of the time!!!! Like 2023!

Edited by Nabbs4u

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I think you're overthinking it. 

Short version is. Reddick is 30 around the start of the season, wants a pay raise AND a long term deal, and the Eagles aren't going to be giving him a Von Miller esque contract. Reddick is adamant about getting more money and more years, how much he can get remains to be seen, but the Eagles weren't giving him what he wanted, especially not after he disappeared late in the year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danger said:

I think you're overthinking it. 

Short version is. Reddick is 30 around the start of the season, wants a pay raise AND a long term deal, and the Eagles aren't going to be giving him a Von Miller esque contract. Reddick is adamant about getting more money and more years, how much he can get remains to be seen, but the Eagles weren't giving him what he wanted, especially not after he disappeared late in the year.

I expect to see around 2/35 added on to his contract, 20 or so guaranteed. I could even see him played (in year one) just under the threshold to trigger the higher pick, but I guess we'll see. I like the trade for both teams, assuming Reddick stays healthy.

On 3/29/2024 at 6:38 PM, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

There is no way Reddick will be cheaper than Huff. 

I might be wrong but I think Huff got 20 million a year and Reddick is under contract for 1 more year at 15 million. Long term it probably doesn't make much sense for the Jets but I don't think they are worried about the future right now.

1 hour ago, StatKing said:

I might be wrong but I think Huff got 20 million a year and Reddick is under contract for 1 more year at 15 million. Long term it probably doesn't make much sense for the Jets but I don't think they are worried about the future right now.

The primary reason Reddick wanted out was because of money/years on his deal. There's no way he's gonna force himself to be traded just to play on the same deal anyways.

Bryce Huff got ~17M a year

2 hours ago, StatKing said:

Huff is getting around 17 Mil a year. The entire reason the Eagles traded Reddick is because he wanted more money. There will be news about a Jets extension of Reddick coming down the road or there will be news of Reddick holding out of Training camp.

4 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Regardless of what happens its time for Nolan Smith to step up and be the guy he was drafted to be for the Eagles 

That definitely played a factor into the decesion. Guess we'll see if he can remotely live up to his "NFL Comp" coming out of the combine and into the NFL.