Jets trade for Hassan Reddick

adamq

On 3/30/2024 at 1:33 PM, Ray Reed said:

Jets feel like they're going all-in this offseason for the last year or two of Rodgers. Which makes sense.

They have to, guys will be fired if they don't end this playoff drought. Joe Douglas has no future if he doesn't build a winning team this season.

On 3/30/2024 at 10:52 AM, Ozzy said:

Is and odd move, they just wanted a cheaper version of Hasson Reddick?  Huff honestly doubt he is ever as great as Reddick has been.  What the Eagles think Reddick is on the decline I guess, get a younger player but no promises he is at that level consistently.

Huff was on a roster with Quinnen Williams who is more dominating than any DT on the Eagles, also have better edges top to bottom then the Eagles with Johnson, McDonald, Franklin-Myers and Solomon Thomas taking a lot of the attention.  Sure both Reddick and Huff lead their teams in sacks but Huff was on a better front with better edge talent to worry about.

Will be curious how it works out, and the Eagles need Carter and Davis to take their game to another level no question.  Also they need Nolan Smith to become something, but if they think he can fill the void of Reddick as the pass rushing OLB then Huff is more a DE, not sure that will happen but time will tell.  Not sure Nolan Smith has the pass rushing skills needed to take Reddicks place.  Yes they still have Graham but he is clearly on the decline and Sweat so that helps a bit. 

Eagles have done well though bringing in Devin White, instantly helps the worst part of that D last year the LB core, and bringing back CGJ is awesome that guy is elite when healthy and super versatile.    

I love Huff, he was a good developmental story for the Jets. But he did benefit from a ton of 1v1 matchups. His pressure rates were close to Parsons, but he also faced significantly less attention than Parsons and didn't play that many snaps. Jermaine Johnson actually faced much more attention on the Jets than Huff did, I always felt like Johnson was our best DE last season with how good he was in all phases. 

Reddick was a great move for us in a win now season. He is going to feast on our DL. This pass rush can be really really good. Quinnen Williams is dominant, JJ is ascending, then you have the 15th overall pick from a year ago with McDonald who has skill and could get much better. If they get this offense scoring TDs, the Jets can be really good next season. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

I love Huff, he was a good developmental story for the Jets. But he did benefit from a ton of 1v1 matchups. His pressure rates were close to Parsons, but he also faced significantly less attention than Parsons and didn't play that many snaps. Jermaine Johnson actually faced much more attention on the Jets than Huff did, I always felt like Johnson was our best DE last season with how good he was in all phases. 

Reddick was a great move for us in a win now season. He is going to feast on our DL. This pass rush can be really really good. Quinnen Williams is dominant, JJ is ascending, then you have the 15th overall pick from a year ago with McDonald who has skill and could get much better. If they get this offense scoring TDs, the Jets can be really good next season. 

I agree Huff benefited from what was around him no question, and what was around him is better than what the Eagles had at those spots not considering Reddick.

The Jets getting Reddick is an upgrade but potentially more expensive, we will see.  And yes McDonald should be a lot better next year, Johnson is very good and they still have Quinnen Williams of course.  Could be one hell of a defense and should be better with Reddick for next season.

On 3/30/2024 at 12:33 PM, Ray Reed said:

Jets feel like they're going all-in this offseason for the last year or two of Rodgers. Which makes sense.

I wonder if it wasn't the Eagles who preferred the 2026 pick.  Since if the 2024 season is Aaron Rodgers' last (which is far from improbable) the Jets have the potential to be turbo-bad with whoever the next QB is.  But Rodgers is scheduled to play at least part of the 2024 season, so the Jets' 2025 picks will be later in the draft order... probably.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I agree Huff benefited from what was around him no question, and what was around him is better than what the Eagles had at those spots not considering Reddick

You keep saying this as though its fact, which it's not. I get it they had Williams but what else at DT? Eagles had Cox,Carter,Davis,Williams. They had JJ, what else assuming we are canceling out Huff/Reddick. Eagles had Sweat, BG, Smith.

The DL wasn't better for the Jets it was their back 7. It was every other position on defense from the LB to Safety play that was. That's why Huff and that DL could feast. Adequate to Great coverage. Something the Eagles at no point last year outside of Darius Slay, had!

Now with the losses of Cox and Reddick,  Yes the Jets DL is better then the Eagles. Assuming of course the Carters ,Davis's ,Smith's and Huff's of the world don't take the next step forward. 

5 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

You keep saying this as though its fact, which it's not. I get it they had Williams but what else at DT? Eagles had Cox,Carter,Davis,Williams. They had JJ, what else assuming we are canceling out Huff/Reddick. Eagles had Sweat, BG, Smith.

The DL wasn't better for the Jets it was their back 7. It was every other position on defense from the LB to Safety play that was. That's why Huff and that DL could feast. Adequate to Great coverage. Something the Eagles at no point last year outside of Darius Slay, had!

Now with the losses of Cox and Reddick,  Yes the Jets DL is better then the Eagles. Assuming of course the Carters ,Davis's ,Smith's and Huff's of the world don't take the next step forward. 

Yes taking out Huff/Reddick for either unit.

I would take Jermaine Johnson, Will McDonald, Solomon Thomas and Franklin-Myers long term over Graham, Sweat, Milton Williams and Nolan Smith all day long, it is not even close.   Sure Eagles have DT depth but no DT they have is even close to the level of Quinnen Williams and not sure they ever will be, so there is that reality as well.  

Maybe collectively if all those Eagles DTs go nuts and are super great it will help the edges but the edge issue for that team is a problem with Graham getting old and Nolan Smith as a pass rusher in question.  

And again I doubt Huff is ever the player Redick is consistently in the NLF but we will see.  And maybe Nolan Smith will become this great edge pass rusher but he has never shown that ability as of yet at all.  

50 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Yes taking out Huff/Reddick for either unit.

I would take Jermaine Johnson, Will McDonald, Solomon Thomas and Franklin-Myers long term over Graham, Sweat, Milton Williams and Nolan Smith all day long, it is not even close.   Sure Eagles have DT depth but no DT they have is even close to the level of Quinnen Williams and not sure they ever will be, so there is that reality as well.  

Maybe collectively if all those Eagles DTs go nuts and are super great it will help the edges but the edge issue for that team is a problem with Graham getting old and Nolan Smith as a pass rusher in question.  

And again I doubt Huff is ever the player Redick is consistently in the NLF but we will see.  And maybe Nolan Smith will become this great edge pass rusher but he has never shown that ability as of yet at all.  

You really think Jalen Carter can't be as good as Quinnen Williams? Dude was one of the most dominant DTs for a good portion of the year as a rookie.

7 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

You really think Jalen Carter can't be as good as Quinnen Williams? Dude was one of the most dominant DTs for a good portion of the year as a rookie.

No I don't, but time will tell.  As a pair of course Carter and Davis are better but each individually not sure either one is better than Quinnen.

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

No I don't, but time will tell.  As a pair of course Carter and Davis are better but each individually not sure either one is better than Quinnen.

I don't think Davis has any chance to be that kind of player, but I certainly believe Carter can be a top 3ish DT in this league. I'd be shocked if he isn't at least a consensus top 10 DT next year, however you rate that. He was quite literally the best overall player in last year's draft, according to many.

6 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

I don't think Davis has any chance to be that kind of player, but I certainly believe Carter can be a top 3ish DT in this league. I'd be shocked if he isn't at least a consensus top 10 DT next year, however you rate that. He was quite literally the best overall player in last year's draft, according to many.

Best player?  

CJ Stroud, no team in the NFL would take Jalen Carter long term over CJ Stroud, absolutely no NFL team unless they already have a top 10 QB.  I would take Will Anderson Jr over him long term no doubt about it as well, Anderson Jr has way more character as a person also.  Devon Witherspoon was a stud, Bijan Robinson could be an elite duel threat RB in the NFL, Gibbs was great as another great duel threat RB and if he never got hurt Christian Gonzalez was one hell of a rookie CB I would say.  So not sure Jalen Carter is the best overall player in the draft.  

Great DT, Top 10 DT sure, but not sure he would be top 5 at this point thus probably not better than Quinnen Williams especially right now.

Chris Jones
Quinnen Williams
Dexter Lawrence
Jeffery Simmons
Javon Hargrave

20 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Best player?  

CJ Stroud, no team in the NFL would take Jalen Carter long term over CJ Stroud, absolutely no NFL team unless they already have a top 10 QB.  I would take Will Anderson Jr over him long term no doubt about it as well, Anderson Jr has way more character as a person also.  Devon Witherspoon was a stud, Bijan Robinson could be an elite duel threat RB in the NFL, Gibbs was great as another great duel threat RB and if he never got hurt Christian Gonzalez was one hell of a rookie CB I would say.  So not sure Jalen Carter is the best overall player in the draft.  

Great DT, Top 10 DT sure, but not sure he would be top 5 at this point thus probably not better than Quinnen Williams especially right now.

Chris Jones
Quinnen Williams
Dexter Lawrence
Jeffery Simmons
Javon Hargrave

Yes, he was the best player big board regardless of position. Absolutely heard that numerous times about a year ago. I was referencing him as a prospect coming out about 350 days ago. I'm talking about his pedigree, tools, upside, etc. that everybody saw when he was coming out. Like nobody would be shocked if in a year or two he's the best defensive player in the NFL. That's why I'm pushing back on your notion that none of the Eagles DTs probably won't be as good as Quinnen. Jalen had a great season for a rookie DT. His projection as of now is a pro bowl/all pro player.

23 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Yes, he was the best player big board regardless of position. Absolutely heard that numerous times about a year ago. I was referencing him as a prospect coming out about 350 days ago. I'm talking about his pedigree, tools, upside, etc. that everybody saw when he was coming out. Like nobody would be shocked if in a year or two he's the best defensive player in the NFL. That's why I'm pushing back on your notion that none of the Eagles DTs probably won't be as good as Quinnen. Jalen had a great season for a rookie DT. His projection as of now is a pro bowl/all pro player.

No he is not in my opinion.

Of course you heard it by probably biased Eagles announcers.  He is very good and could become great but the best player in the draft, that is no sure thing at all.  CJ Stroud had arguably the best rookie season in NFL history at QB and Will Anderson Jr is Will Anderson Jr.  And how elite and rare those corners and running backs could become is just about as rare as finding a elite DT.  

Carter to me was super motivated last year and fell into a great position where he was able to instantly feel comfortable with that many former teammates on the roster.  But will he be able to stay that consistent and motivated, I am not sure.  If I was to bet who will be more consistent and motivated long term, it would be CJ Stroud and Will Anderson Jr not Jalen Carter.  

Sure Carter will be a Pro Bowl level or All Pro talent, but the absolute best in the 2023 draft is a stretch as is a top 5 DT next year and the years up coming.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

No he is not in my opinion.

Of course you heard it by probably biased Eagles announcers.  

It was said prior to the Eagles drafting him and by a bunch of different analysts who have no affiliation to Philly. I am saying he is the best prospect or will be the best player but to suggest it was just Eagles beat writers saying that, is BS.  

• Like 1

Carter definitely had a “most talented player in the draft, but lazy/unfocused” label. Maybe not the consensus best prospect, as in top of the big board, but he was certainly getting heralded as possibly the most talented.

How much that plays into this conversation is pretty debatable, though. I think it’s useful to bring up his pedigree, but realistically he wasn’t even the best rookie tackle last year either.