Packers D Coordinator Watch

Packerraymond

On 12/20/2017 at 10:33 PM, spilltray said:

It has absolutely nothing to do with that. None of those retreads are going to be great. Most of the time not even as good as their previous success. I want someone focused on maximizing what they have here not trying to run what has worked for them in the past. I want fresh ideas, not recycled. I want someone passionate about being great here, not settling for what they can get.

Seems to me that it's common enough for good DC's to fail in their shot as HC, then fall back to becoming a good DC.

5 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Then it's still not the job they want. I want a first time NFL DC who is excited to have the job. 

I just want an NFL DC who can get our players to play up to their potential and not have one of the worst defenses in the league every damn year.

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

Then it's still not the job they want. I want a first time NFL DC who is excited to have the job. 

Why do you want someone whose got no proven track record as opposed to someone whose got a proven track record?  If Wade Phillips was available this offseason and was willing to be the DC, would you not be ecstatic?  I want the guy whose going to get the most out of his players.  I could care less if he's been a DC before or not.

No I wouldn't. It's obviously not the job he feels he deserves. I think "proven" is a joke. Rarely do coaches have greater success as coordinators after being HC than before. I think that hungry up and comer is going to look at this situation and adapt to it more than a guy who is already sure he knows what works.

The challenge with the up and comer is that if he hasn't done it before, you have to live with a lot of mistakes as he learns the ropes

Being a position coach or asst coach is one thing, making the leap to DC is another. All coaches mature on-the-job, they all make mistakes and they mostly learn from them.

What a vet DC brings to the table is that he's got game day management experience, and there's no way to get that without calling a defense and playing chess in real-time with the MM's, Sean Payton's, Shanahan's around the league. A vet also has the experience of attacking a Brady, Rodgers, Brees- level QB

Could be a new guy or an older coach, but there are trade-offs and you have decide which ones you want to live with.

Having some DC experience is critical in my view because not all of the position coaches can make the leap to DC, just like many coordinators flop as HC's

The Steelers "new" DC is 61 years old and he had 14 years in their system - and there are many here lauding his results.

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

The challenge with the up and comer is that if he hasn't done it before, you have to live with a lot of mistakes as he learns the ropes

Being a position coach or asst coach is one thing, making the leap to DC is another. All coaches mature on-the-job, they all make mistakes and they mostly learn from them.

What a vet DC brings to the table is that he's got game day management experience, and there's no way to get that without calling a defense and playing chess in real-time with the MM's, Sean Payton's, Shanahan's around the league. A vet also has the experience of attacking a Brady, Rodgers, Brees- level QB

Could be a new guy or an older coach, but there are trade-offs and you have decide which ones you want to live with.

Having some DC experience is critical in my view because not all of the position coaches can make the leap to DC, just like many coordinators flop as HC's

The Steelers "new" DC is 61 years old and he had 14 years in their system - and there are many here lauding his results.

That's a negative way of viewing things imo. That kind of thinking means you would've never hired someone of McVay calibre if such a person was available.

Don't forget we already got a very experienced D Co-ordinator and how is that working out for us?

All good coaches have to start somewhere so experience isnt the most important factor. Its about the person's traits such as personality, presence, smarts, knowledge and creativity. We ought to be looking out for someone like that.

14 minutes ago, Chili said:

That's a negative way of viewing things imo. That kind of thinking means you would've never hired someone of McVay calibre if such a person was available.

I'm not being negative at all, I'm merely sharing some thoughts on the various trade-offs. There isn't one right answer here

And for as much acclaim as McVay gets ( deservedly so) , he's been schooled a couple of times by veteran coaches, including Zimmer

Advocating for the concept of a young guy is fine, but let's not pretend they come ready-made and are a sure thing. Raiders were all excited about the up and coming Ken Norton, solid pedigree and loaded with fresh and aggressive ideas. Fans rejoiced.

2 years later they fire him for sucking

I've compiled a list of possible D co-ordinator candidates, are there any that interests you?:

• Defensive Co-Ordinator Search        

Possible HC Firings    Age    Team
    Todd Bowles    54    NYJ
    Chuck Pagano    57    Colts
    Vance Joseph    45    Broncos
    Steve Spagnuolo    57    NYG
    Jack Del Rio    54    Raiders
    John Fox    62    Bears

Possible co-ordinator availablity        
    Mike Smith    58    Buccs
    Greg Manusky    51    Redskins
    Vic Fangio    59    Bears
    Kacy Rodgers    48    NYJ
    Joe Woods    47    Broncos
    Paul Guenther    46    Bengals
    Lovie Smith    59    Illinois

Experienced position coaches        
    Perry Fewell    55    Jaguars
    Mike Nolan    58    New Orleans
    Karl Dunbar    50    Alabama
    Don Martindale    54    Ravens
    Jim Haslett    62    Bengals
    Raheem Morris    41    Atlanta

Unemployed        
    Ray Horton    57    
    Mike Pettine    51    
    Eric Mangini    46    
    Rex Ryan    55    
    Jeff Fisher    59    
    Dennis Thurman    61    

In-House Candidates        
    Winston Moss    51    Packers
    Darren Perry    48    Packers
    Joe Whitt Jr     39    Packers
    Mike Trgovac    58    Packers

College Football co-ordinators        
    Dave Aranda    41    LSU
    Jim Leonhard    35    Wisconsin
    Todd Orlando    ~45    Texas
    Brent Venables    47    Clemson

NFL position coaches        
    Brian Flores     36    Patriots
    Al Holcomb     ~47    Carolina
    Josh Boyer     40    Patriots
    Al Harris    43    Kansas
    Matt Eberflus    ?    Dallas
    Tony Oden     44    Detroit
    Aaron Glenn    45    Saints
    Micheal Barrow    47    Seattle
    Anthony Weaver    37    Houston
    John Butler    44    Houston
    Nick Eason    37    Titans
    Lou Spanos    46    Titans
    Jason Tarver    43    49ers
    Jerome Henderson    48    Falcons
    Ron Milus    ?    Chargers
    Mark Collins    ?    Jaguars
    Adam Zimmer        33      Vikings

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

Regardless of who the DC is next season, the defense is going to have a tough time if Perry and Matthews continue as the team's primary pass rushers.  As a pair, they just aren't good enough.

That's because we're really an OLB short, even if you get those two completely healthy for the entire year.  The problem is we've really never had our top 3 OLB healthy.

Archived