How do you define a “superteam” in the NFL?

CP3MVP

Super Team suggests winning it all. You CAN NOT be one without a SB ring at the end, Period! 

Super Team to me would also suggest they were not a 1 yr wonder, Dynasty esq' in the making type "Team".  So...

2022-23 Chiefs

2016-18 Patriots

2001-04 Patriots

92-95 Cowboys 

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Super Team suggests winning it all. You CAN NOT be one without a SB ring at the end, Period! 

Super Team would also suggest they were not a 1 yr wonder, Dynasty esq' in the making type "Team".  So...

2022-23 Chiefs

2016-18 Patriots

2001-04 Patriots

92-95 Cowboys 

I would actually argue against this. I feel like Super Team is almost always used in the context of the Free Agency period of acquiring talent. Usually in the public's eyes it's a team who was already good and then they made a big move for a talented player(s). How do you measure talent? Generally it's if you made a Pro Bowl.

I would argue the Rams that won it all in '21 was viewed as a Super Team in the public's eyes.

• Like 1

Yeah Im interested in this too. As soon as a team go out and go get "big names" people just quickly say "superteam".

Honestly in the NFL there is no 'superteam". The NBA there is a such thing bc a team can win a title off of two superstars and even get to a Finals with just one superstar. So if a team have a "big 3" then yeah thats a "superteam".

The NFL its more than just that. You have the QB, maybe the running back, and a receiver or two. Then you have the pass rusher or two and then a corner. But you still need the OL to block, you still need the other pieces on defense to play together as one. I dont care if you have two HOF pass rushers, if one or two players on the defense doesnt do their job right the entire defense will get blown up. I dont care if you have HOF guys on the offense. If the OL miss blocks the entire offense will get blown up. And thats not even taking into account the play calling by the coaches.

Like people called the Rams a "superteam". How did the Rams win the Superbowl? They won bc a rookie linebacker Earnest Jones had a big Superbowl game. A retired safety Weddle came off the couch to help an injured secondary missing so many guys to just steady the ship. A rookie Noteboom came in and started at LT against the Bucs when Whitworth had to miss the game with an injury and protected Stafford very well. Blanton a young backup tight end made plays in that Bucs game to help the Rams offensive explosion. A young backup running back in Henderson made a big catch late in the Superbowl to help the Rams drive down the field to score. A young linebacker Howard made the game sealing interception in the Niners game late. None of those guys I mentioned are names outside of Weddle and he was way past his prime. Earnest Jones is starting to make a name for himself as a really good to great linebacker but at that time he was a rookie and his coming out party was in the Superbowl. So again there is no such thing as a "superteam" in the NFL. You need your stars to play like stars but the team as a whole need to contribute as one in order for things to work out well. 

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Ask Vince Young

Yeah I remember when he said that about the Eagles. He was a backup and only bc of the Eagles had named players. For example, Asomugha. He was an all-pro corner with the Raiders so people just assumed he would be the same with the Eagles. He didnt fit the scheme and looked bad. Again thats another factor is a player can be great in one scheme and be terrible in another scheme. Cant just assume he is that same player just one a different team. 

2 hours ago, checkcola said:

As the term was popularized in the NBA, it doesn't have a one to one comparison in the NFL as the games are too different. 

Yeah.  I think we've seen poor attempts to mimic that NBA model, but i don't think we've truly seen a "Superteam" in the NFL in that same sense.  It's just too much harder to fit all those salaries and egos together to make it work, and the game is too different.  In Basketball, you can lean on cheap depth and just let your stars run wild.  In the NFL...if you pay that way on a handful of superstars...you can't afford the depth it actually takes to field a truly good team.

The only time we really see something "superteams" in the NFL...is when you get a team with a Superstar QB and a boatload of talent on entry level rookie deals, and then a collection of Vets who have taken a "hometown discount" or are on contracts that they signed before "breaking out".

• Like 1

It won't happen in the NFL because the NFL has a fair playing ground. No way around the salary cap a la exceptions, penalties, luxury tax, etc. Sure, you can sure try to set up a Super Team, but there are so many variables in the NFL that luck alone can deny rings easily so that becomes nearly a fools plan.

I don’t have a set definition for the term, but for me I wouldn’t use it unless it’s a team that’s largely come together off of FA/trade talent. Like, the 49ers have a top 10 QB, RB1, too WR duo, top 3 TE, best LBer/LBer duo, All-Pro at safety, and an annual DPOY candidate on DL, but they don’t fit the criteria. 

That 2020 Bucs team had some super team elements to it. Brady, Gronk, AB, Fournette. The rest of the defense was pretty much already there, though. 

Everyone thinks of the Eagles, and rightfully so. 

When I see the term it refers to a team which, on paper, has legit starters at every position and some elites on both sides of the ball (lest they be considered just a "super offense" or "super defense").  It does not necessarily translate into Super Bowls.  (Upsets happen.)  Currently, if Buffalo can get all of its talent back and add some froth to their defense they might qualify.  The 49ers should be one after patching a hole or two in preseason.  The Eagles are coming off a disappointing season but they were close in recent years.  Add a superstar or two to the Ravens and keep them healthy...