Rams or Jags: which upstart is more likely to reach the Super Bowl?

y*so*blu

Rams or Jags: which upstart is more likely to make the Super Bowl?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Which is it?

• Rams
    • Jaguars

Two very impressive and hungry upstart teams here. The Rams just disemboweled the Seahawks 42-7; the Jaguars throttled the Texans 45-7. The Rams will make the playoffs for the first time since 2004; for the Jaguars, it's their first time since 2007. Both are very hot and loaded with young talent. Considering their strengths, weaknesses, and likely opposition in the postseason ... which one has a better shot at making the Super Bowl?

It's tough to say. The only thing that is for sure, assuming they both get the 3 seed, is that the Jags will have the easier wild card round. It could go either way after that. Having to travel to Pittsburgh and then NE would be much tougher than having to travel to say Philly and then Minny or Minny and then getting to host New Orleans.

I'll go with Rams because I don't think the Jags will go into NE an win. If anyone in the AFC can it's probably them, but I'm not sure anyone can. I also really do not trust Blake Bortles.

1 minute ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

It's tough to say. The only thing that is for sure, assuming they both get the 3 seed, is that the Jags will have the easier wild card round. It could go either way after that. Having to travel to Pittsburgh and then NE would be much tougher than having to travel to say Philly and then Minny or Minny and then getting to host New Orleans.

Personally, I think having to go through Minny and NO is a tougher road. NE and Pittsburgh both have defensive issues.

Rams. I'm going to get flack for this, but I don't think the NFC is as strong as it is competetive. And what I mean by that is in the AFC the Steelers and Patriots have just proven over and over again (along with Manning's team when he was there) that they are brick walls that the up and coming teams smash into and flatten out on. And Jacksonville's most likely road is going through both of them in their house. And the 2012 Raven's has broken through the Brady/Ben/Manning wall in the AFC and it took the greatest statistical QB playoff performance ever, which I don't see Bortles doing. 

I think the NFC is alot more malleable. I think a lot of the strong teams in the NFC are looking strong because the teams that usually have their number are having down years. Seattle, Dallas, New York, Green Bay, are having down years and the Vikings, Rams,  and Eagles are capitalizing and then the Falcons are having a down year and the Saints and Panthers have gotten back in the mix. I can see the Rams pushing through that a lot easier than if they had to go through major stalwarts. Like if Seattle was still the Seattle of the last few years or Green Bay was in there I'd give it some pause, but I don't see as much resistance. 

So my money would be on the Rams.

3 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Rams. I'm going to get flack for this, but I don't think the NFC is as strong as it is competetive. And what I mean by that is in the AFC the Steelers and Patriots have just proven over and over again (along with Manning's team when he was there) that they are brick walls that the up and coming teams smash into and flatten out on. And Jacksonville's most likely road is going through both of them in their house. And the 2012 Raven's has broken through the Brady/Ben/Manning wall in the AFC and it took the greatest statistical QB playoff performance ever, which I don't see Bortles doing. 

I think the NFC is alot more malleable. I think a lot of the strong teams in the NFC are looking strong because the teams that usually have their number are having down years. Seattle, Dallas, New York, Green Bay, are having down years and the Vikings, Rams,  and Eagles are capitalizing and then the Falcons are having a down year and the Saints and Panthers have gotten back in the mix. I can see the Rams pushing through that a lot easier than if they had to go through major stalwarts. Like if Seattle was still the Seattle of the last few years or Green Bay was in there I'd give it some pause, but I don't see as much resistance. 

So my money would be on the Rams.

Coming into this year the Giants had been to the playoffs once in the last 5 years, and the Cowboys had only been in the playoffs twice in the last 7 years. I would hardly call them "strong NFC teams" if we're talking long term. I agree with your overall point though, that it may be harder to get through the AFC since the top teams are proven and likely tougher outs than anyone in the NFC right now.

Rams imo, but Jags could potentially grab the 2 seed and get a bye if they win out and if Pitt finds a way to choke against the Texans or Browns, so that could be interesting. We all know how notorious Pitt is for not playing well in games against inferior opponents.

Rams:

I'm going to agree with what Lancerman said earlier, that the NFC is really more competitive than it is strong.

The Jaguars will certainly have an easier Wild Card matchup than the Rams will, but going on the road and beating both Pitt and New England will be a next to impossible task. The Rams meanwhile may get to play the Nick Foles led Eagles and the Vikings/Saints/Falcons/Panthers after that with a possible HFA in the NFCCG. Not easy games necessarily, but certainly not as difficult as the Steelers/Pats.

Also: I do like Marrone as a HC, but not as much as I like McVay. Goff is definitely better than Bortles. So I would also give the HC/QB advantage to the Rams by quite a bit.

Archived