2024 Rookie Minicamp, OTA's & Training Camp

Leader

1 minute ago, Brat&Beer said:

My recollection of Newman was that he played well enough in the preseason of 2021 to win the RG position (over Patrick?). He struggled the first half of the season but then played much better the second half. There was some optimism about him going into 2022 but he reverted back to struggles of early 2021 and has never recovered. I think the Packers would like to see someone beat him out (Tenuta is getting reps at guard), but it hasn't happened yet. 

That's the thing about it.  The coaching staff isn't self-sabotaging.  If the players don't play well, eventually the axe falls on them too.  Newman is getting second team reps at LG and then moves over to LG when they sub again.  If we all grant that Newman sucks, what does that make the guys that are clearly behind him on the depth chart?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

That's the thing about it.  The coaching staff isn't self-sabotaging.  If the players don't play well, eventually the axe falls on them too.  Newman is getting second team reps at LG and then moves over to LG when they sub again.  If we all grant that Newman sucks, what does that make the guys that are clearly behind him on the depth chart?

Well that leaves Don Jennings whos been hurt and Lecitus who's a center.. there's nobody really behind him until the giants start getting reps inside.

Think he's battling with Telfort pretty directly for that last spot.

Keeping 2 backup interior, swing tackle and a tackle who can play some guard and Newman-Glover are already on the outside looking in.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Apparent weaknesses on roster so far in preseason:

OL depth

CB depth

I would be very ok adding a better depth piece in both of those rooms after cuts.

What makes you worried about CB depth? We haven't even played our top 4 guys.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

To me the difference between Morgan and Jenkins is that Morgan looks like he could truly be a starting left tackle whereas Jenkins can fill in a tackle but more than likely, he’s a guard or center.

So, I actually watched whatever I could on YouTube around Morgan as well as Jenkins.

Jenkins, pre-injury, had 5 position flexibility.  But he's a guard now.  He was just fine at tackle, pre-injury.

Lord knows what Morgan is right now.  I see a tackle there.  Next year he should be much stronger and with those feet, my guess is that he's our LT of the future.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Old Guy said:

WOW! Anybody dogging me for the way I go after Newman needs to shhhhhhhh. After reading this **** about Morgan, who by all accounts was going to start for us, is a bit puzzling. I was not thrilled with the Morgan pick. I wanted a different player at a different position. 

If we're still in the, "I'm a better talent evaluator the Gute." Something is seriously wrong. 

Morgan seems to be giving us options, which turns into leverage come contract time for Rasheed Walker. 

For posters to state, "there were better guards available. There were better tackles available. There were better guys who could do both available." 

Who in the F are we kidding? Nobody knows that at this point, including the guys who actually made the picks. Until the pads go on for real, nobody knows who drafted well and who didn't. 

It's all good conversation though. 

For me, "in Gute I trust!" 

Jesus.  We have a whole thread about "are you smarter than Gute".  It's what we do., chat.  At least I'm out there with my opinion.

So,

Lighten Up Francis GIFs | Tenor

• Like 2

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Apparent weaknesses on roster so far in preseason:

OL depth

CB depth

I would be very ok adding a better depth piece in both of those rooms after cuts.

I was worried about the CB room.

But now I'm thinking that our safety room is solid.  Solid enough to play Williams and move Bullard to slot if needed.  Adding that body to the CB room and all of a sudden, it looks better with JA, Stokes, Valentine and Nixon.  King is still a wildcard to me.

I'm digging Bullard for all those skills and Williams for looking "ready" as a rook.

Three things:

1. The overreaction to the Broncos playing a tier above us all game is annoying. QB2 and QB3 are fine.

2. Just waiting for a major injury. Trying to ward it off with this post.

3. Headed toward a bottom 5 ST this season.

5 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Three things:

1. The overreaction to the Broncos playing a tier above us all game is annoying. QB2 and QB3 are fine.

2. Just waiting for a major injury. Trying to ward it off with this post.

3. Headed toward a bottom 5 ST this season.

There is nothing fine about QB2 and QB3. Neither should be on a NFL during a game that matters. I can give Pratt a pass because he’s a rookie. Need an upgrade at back up QB.

54 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

There is nothing fine about QB2 and QB3. Neither should be on a NFL during a game that matters. I can give Pratt a pass because he’s a rookie. Need an upgrade at back up QB.

I prefer both to just about any Rodgers backup. Give them a OL1 they’d both be watchable. Ive never seen a team play 2s v 1s across the board and not be overmatched. Like the reason for that game is obvious: Sean Payton is someone you should never do business with. We got very little out of that while they got primed for the regular season. 2s v 1s was dumb. JV never got anything out of being destroyed by varsity. The tape is so sloppy from a cohesion standpoint that you can throw it all away.

4 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

I prefer both to just about any Rodgers backup. Give them a OL1 they’d both be watchable. Ive never seen a team play 2s v 1s across the board and not be overmatched. Like the reason for that game is obvious: Sean Payton is someone you should never do business with. We got very little out of that while they got primed for the regular season. 2s v 1s was dumb. JV never got anything out of being destroyed by varsity. The tape is so sloppy from a cohesion standpoint that you can throw it all away.

We did the same to the browns?

I think its a decent sink or swim test. We had a few guys sink.

Wooden/waege cant hold a double team so we got run over a bit.

Tyler davis cant actually play nfl football.

Mental mistakes happened.

We found out that Ford took a step towards playable.

Wooden and brooks can pass rush.

Our reserve DEs can you something if they get pressed into action. 

The safety room is 5 deep as Dapo doesnt look out of place when youre playing him closer to the LoS.

There were positives to take out of the game, just not the reps Tyler davis was a focal point of the run scheme.

Edited by HighCalebR