Packers sign OT Andre Dillard

Refugee

He was PFF's 71st highest graded tackle (out of 81) with similar grades to Billy Turner, Jawaan Taylor, Terrence Steele and Joe Noteboom. The team he started for let him go with a terrible line and likely is replacing him in the top 10. The Titans fans on Twitter:

• Like 2

Maybe the worst left tackle play I've ever watched on the Titans, at least from a player that was supposed to be starter quality. We were super spoiled going from Brad Hopkins to Michael Roos to Taylor Lewan over the years, but man, Dillard was a special kind of awful.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Trojan said:

He was PFF's 71st highest graded tackle (out of 81) with similar grades to Billy Turner, Jawaan Taylor, Terrence Steele and Joe Noteboom. The team he started for let him go with a terrible line and likely is replacing him in the top 10. The Titans fans on Twitter:

Oh yeah, I have no delusions that he’s been anything but a bust. I saw a cut up of his lowlights and he was comically bad. Still, on the same tape the whole line and QB also seemed unaware of what the playcall was. In GB, he won’t be slated to be anything more than depth or maybe even just a camp body if he is truly broken. I’m just trying to get some insight on how a highly touted guy fell apart so much. The optimist in me hopes our coaches can find out how to get him back on track. If he can’t be on an island at tackle, maybe he can move inside and be a competitive guard?  Obviously a longshot at this point but he’s not a typical pickup at this stage of the year.  

50 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Packers OL Lab will have him as a serviceable swing tackle by end of camp.

He's awful at LT, he's even worse at RT. Not in his wheelhouse LOL

Oh and you forget about whatever lab this is saving him. When somebody flunks out of Stoutland U, he's a lost cause.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Packers OL Lab will have him as a serviceable swing tackle by end of camp.

I hope that lab has cybernetic enhancements or something.  The bar was so, so, so low for him at LT, and he still got benched halfway through the season to try out random depth tackles in his place.

I mean, Titans literally had historically bad LT play in 22, and went into 23 expecting better.  And yeah, it wasn't historically bad, but it was bad enough that random sixth round rookies were playing at around the same level.

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I hope that lab has cybernetic enhancements or something.  The bar was so, so, so low for him at LT, and he still got benched halfway through the season to try out random depth tackles in his place.

I mean, Titans literally had historically bad LT play in 22, and went into 23 expecting better.  And yeah, it wasn't historically bad, but it was bad enough that random sixth round rookies were playing at around the same level.

Yeah I watched every sack he was credited with, I can see why the Titans went with the HC/OL coach combo they did. What a disaster, didn't look like anyone knew who they were blocking on a given play, and my goodness is Tannehill a statue with horrible pocket presence, sure you're glad that era is over. 

I was 100% convinced our trade up in 2019 was for Dillard, we took Savage instead. I'm sure our staff was high on Dillard, so now we get a look for basically free. We'll see, Bakh went out in 2022, the staff just inserted Zach Tom in the lineup and he played great. Bakh goes out in 2023, staff inserts Rasheed Walker in the lineup and after a few games, he played great. Luckily because we have Walker and Tom, Dillard is depth only. 

1 hour ago, Danger said:

He's awful at LT, he's even worse at RT. Not in his wheelhouse LOL

Oh and you forget about whatever lab this is saving him. When somebody flunks out of Stoutland U, he's a lost cause.

That definitely occurred to me. The Packers have a deserved reputation for developing OL including some later round gems but Philly has the same reputation going back even years before their SB. That strong and deep line  was the cornerstone they built that offense on before they made their run.  

Guys bust all the time, but how did Dillard go from such a top performer in college to a guy who eats dog food in the NFL?  I don’t know but I’m hoping he gets some redemption with us, but he has had more than one shot. I do think the Titans last year were a mess. Hope GB has some more stability and lower expectations to find him a role.  If not, we have some solid starters on that line and no doubt an infusion of fresh blood coming in less than a week. 

4 minutes ago, Refugee said:

That definitely occurred to me. The Packers have a deserved reputation for developing OL including some later round gems but Philly has the same reputation going back even years before their SB. That strong and deep line  was the cornerstone they built that offense on before they made their run.  

Guys bust all the time, but how did Dillard go from such a top performer in college to a guy who eats dog food in the NFL?  I don’t know but I’m hoping he gets some redemption with us, but he has had more than one shot. I do think the Titans last year were a mess. Hope GB has some more stability and lower expectations to find him a role.  If not, we have some solid starters on that line and no doubt an infusion of fresh blood coming in less than a week. 

I'm sure others can explain it better, but even if he managed to gain weight from his old days playing ?Tight End?, his functional play strength really didn't keep up. That's the main thing I've heard.  In his rookie season, he actually looked good at left tackle, but abysmal at right tackle. His 2nd and 3rd years he was injured, and his second time being injured, Mailata capitalized.

32 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Yeah I watched every sack he was credited with, I can see why the Titans went with the HC/OL coach combo they did. What a disaster, didn't look like anyone knew who they were blocking on a given play, and my goodness is Tannehill a statue with horrible pocket presence, sure you're glad that era is over. 

I was 100% convinced our trade up in 2019 was for Dillard, we took Savage instead. I'm sure our staff was high on Dillard, so now we get a look for basically free. We'll see, Bakh went out in 2022, the staff just inserted Zach Tom in the lineup and he played great. Bakh goes out in 2023, staff inserts Rasheed Walker in the lineup and after a few games, he played great. Luckily because we have Walker and Tom, Dillard is depth only. 

That is one thing I will definitely not argue with you about.  He will definitely be getting better coaching with the Packers than he did with the Titans in 23.  I just would not bet on him being much more than a backup guy you probably don't want starting.  Which I guess is true of most backups.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

That is one thing I will definitely not argue with you about.  He will definitely be getting better coaching with the Packers than he did with the Titans in 23.  I just would not bet on him being much more than a backup guy you probably don't want starting.  Which I guess is true of most backups.

None of us fans expect him to start.  I mean that is really the end of the story.  He's a backup and he's going to have to fight to make it on the roster as even a backup.  GB has invested like 2 years into guys named Jones and Tenatu (who are enormous) on the OL.  And now we have a very deep OL draft coming up.

To me, Dillard has training camp to prove he can be "next man up" at tackle, or he will simply be gone.  And he's fighting that out with two guys who have been in the program for a while and probably a rookie draft pick or two.

It's a free look to see what is left there.  Nothing more, nothing less.