Broncos trade for QB Zach Wilson

Cutler06

Broncos have traded for QB Zach Wilson. A former 2nd overall pick, he was relegated to a backup role since the Jets acquired Aaron Rodgers. He's only 24yo so it takes away the NEED to draft a QB. I for one like the move, we'll have to see how it pans out.

• Like 2

I actually like it as well. He very clearly needed a change of scenery and they are even paying for some of his salary haha. That said, there's a reason he was benched and almost cut even AFTER Rodgers went down. Evidently pretty bad in the locker room and even worse on the field. It would be a rehab project of epic proportions 

3 minutes ago, French Fan said:

I just saw he is eligible for 5th year at 22,6m 🤔

I dont see Denver resign him after 2024. We will be back for a QB at NFL Draft 2025.

Then this was a stupid trade if they're just going to release him after the season.

17 minutes ago, French Fan said:

I just saw he is eligible for 5th year at 22,6m 🤔

I dont see Denver resign him after 2024. We will be back for a QB at NFL Draft 2025.

Well we obviously won't take a 22m option, but that doesn't mean we can't restructure him some other way. I just truly see this as a project move or something to play with during the season if we don't take a QB this year.

Yeah I mean it's a low risk move for a former #2 pick. The Jets have been a trainwreck, so it's hard to know what he's really got, but he's looked pretty awful when he's played. Maybe Payton can work wonders, who knows.

This tells me trading up is probably off the table. Trading back? Very much a possibility.

8 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Then this was a stupid trade if they're just going to release him after the season.

I mean, they aren’t going to commit to $22m fully guaranteed on that 5th year option because this guy isn’t even a lock to make the team.

If by some miracle he wins the starting job and has a good year, then they’ll franchise tag him after the season and work out a deal.

Having said that I’m a fan of the move. I graded him really high in 2021 and he has showed some flashes as a pro, even though he mostly looked like a bust. I’m a fan of a low cost flier on a guy we know is talented.

I think this kinda tells you how the front office (i.e., Payton) feels about this QB class. We are unlikely to have the ammo to get one of the big 4, and then maybe he prefers a low cost flier on this guy than Penix or Nix or Rattler or Pratt.

However, we mustn’t get our expectations too up. Denver has been the spot where former bust QBs go to rehabilitate their reputation. Spoiler alert: it’s never worked.

Kyle Orton was the pick of a bad bunch, but he was never a top 10 QB. Chris Simms was so bad that he got benched at half time for an injured QB. Brady Quinn was a career backup who didn’t start over some terrible QBs. Brock Osweiler’s second stint in Denver was completely tragic. Mark Sanchez didn’t even make the team.

1 minute ago, paul-mac said:

Kyle Orton was the pick of a bad bunch, but he was never a top 10 QB. Chris Simms was so bad that he got benched at half time for an injured QB. Brady Quinn was a career backup who didn’t start over some terrible QBs. Brock Osweiler’s second stint in Denver was completely tragic. Mark Sanchez didn’t even make the team.

Jake Plummer who was Wilson's comp according to Lance Zierlien.