Ravens extend WR Rashod Bateman

Forge

Could he have a semi-Nico Collins type breakout? Nico was a guy who a lot of people had a huge draft crush on, severely disappointed, and then crushed it just when everyone gave up hope. 

Nico was a 3rd rounder who broke out in year 3, whole Bateman went in the 1st and is entering year 4.. but Baltimore is a smart organization & obviously like him.

Funny stats I just noticed- rashad bateman has 93 catches, 1167 yards, 4 TDs for his career. Last season, Nico went for 80/1297/8

This is probably a way to to pay him his 5th year option spread out over another year or two, and gives him the option to prove himself as the no.2 WR while allowing the ravens to not have to address the WR position outside of a depth signing or a 3rd rounder at the worst.

He's been good and been getting open, he's just the 3rd to 5th option (last year was flowers, andrews, beckham, likely, RB etc.) Lamar usually goes to his top two reads 1st and trusts them to make a play or make one himself. Bateman is only 24 and I could see him go off for a solid 60-75/900-1,100/5-8 TD year if he stays healthy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

I mean, if Bateman is the 3rd or 4th read on a play, it's not uncommon for a QB not to get to that read. Presumably with OBJ gone Bateman will move up in the pecking order and receive more targets.

Bateman started twice as many games as OBJ but he did have 3 fewer catches and 8 fewer targets. My guess is that they still realistically look for Bateman to be a #3 WR.

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Bateman started twice as many games as OBJ but he did have 3 fewer catches and 8 fewer targets. My guess is that they still realistically look for Bateman to be a #3 WR.

Bateman doesn't have the chemistry with Lamar, it's widely known. OBJ came in, trained with Lamar and developed that rapport. Bateman has been injured and hasn't trained with Lamar once, so that's why Lamar doesn't feel the game and force the ball to Bateman.

That being said, Bateman's tape makes him look like one of the best cardio WR's in the game, in that all he does is run around and get open while Lamar doesn't throw him the ball.

4 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

But why?

His 5th year option is coming up, the team has no choice really but to back him up because when he's healthy he's a good WR2 on any team. We just really need him and Lamar to get on the same page. This move locks up the pass catching core of Andrews / Zay / Bateman until 2025-2026. That's a good core.

17 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Bateman doesn't have the chemistry with Lamar, it's widely known. OBJ came in, trained with Lamar and developed that rapport. Bateman has been injured and hasn't trained with Lamar once, so that's why Lamar doesn't feel the game and force the ball to Bateman.

That being said, Bateman's tape makes him look like one of the best cardio WR's in the game, in that all he does is run around and get open while Lamar doesn't throw him the ball.

His 5th year option is coming up, the team has no choice really but to back him up because when he's healthy he's a good WR2 on any team. We just really need him and Lamar to get on the same page. This move locks up the pass catching core of Andrews / Zay / Bateman until 2025-2026. That's a good core.

He didn’t show anything remotely close to being a good WR2 last year, he was a complete dud. He showed flashes year 1 and 2…

And I was a big Bateman guy. But 3 years of absolute manure is a telling, injuries or not. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tank4Drake said:

He didn’t show anything remotely close to being a good WR2 last year, he was a complete dud. He showed flashes year 1 and 2…

And I was a big Bateman guy. But 3 years of absolute manure is a telling, injuries or not. 

I mean, the tape says otherwise. Not much he can do (once the season starts) if he's not getting the ball or isn't in the progression. The tape clearly shows he's a fantastic route runner, I think honestly his biggest problem outside of the chemistry issue with Lamar is that once the ball is thrown his way, he often times looks surprised that he's being targeted instead of attacking the ball.

On 4/24/2024 at 3:02 PM, wackywabbit said:

Meh. He's been bad when thrown the ball, IMO. He has to be near the top of the drop rate stats. He hasn't done much of anything after the catch.

Some say he is really good at getting open, but I feel like that's a lot of running hard on plays that were already developed in another direction.

I'm particularly lower on him than most. Hope this is cheap and he breaks out.

Im in a similar boat. I’m hoping we trade up for Brian Thomas Jr but that’s probably not happening. 🤷🏾‍♂️ 

23 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I mean, the tape says otherwise. Not much he can do (once the season starts) if he's not getting the ball or isn't in the progression. The tape clearly shows he's a fantastic route runner, I think honestly his biggest problem outside of the chemistry issue with Lamar is that once the ball is thrown his way, he often times looks surprised that he's being targeted instead of attacking the ball.

I think that last part is an accurate description. Knowing he is the 3rd or 4th option on any given play, it almost appears like the drops come from shock at getting a target vs bad hands lol.

• Like 1