2024 Day 1 NFL Draft Thread (No Spoilers)

CWood21

1 minute ago, MaximusGluteus said:

He's a little old to be sitting for a few years, no?

yeah, that doesn't make a lot of sense.  I could have seen McCarthy sitting as he is like 20 or 21

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaximusGluteus said:

He's a little old to be sitting for a few years, no?

He's going to be 24 in May.  Even sitting for 2 years gives him 10-12 years as a starting QB in the league 

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

lol Falcons

On the one hand, it looks like they are taking the Green Bay route and drafting a guy to sit, watch and learn. On the other hand I would not have picked the old guy, I would have gone McCarthy. 

Panics is 24 in 10 days. 

Edited by Old Guy

2 minutes ago, MacReady said:

Wow. The Falcons actually make a great move. 

Penix Jr. just became the best bet for a future elite QB.

Sit that dude a year or two and they're ready to roll after Cousins. 

But he will have used up 2 of his rookie contract years!

Just now, MacReady said:

Why is everyone laughing at this pick?

This is literally straight from the Packers playbook and it brought us Rodgers/Love/Favre. Three consecutive elite quarterbacks.

Is it just the player? 

Honestly? The Packer method is so freaking against the typical Front Office instincts that we just expect them to bungle this somehow. They need the discipline to keep Penix on the bench despite how high up he was picked, but it only takes an inadequate stretch from Good Ol' Kirk to bring on the Tug-of-War option.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Which is fine...if they didn't just throw a crap ton of money at Cousins.

What difference does it make? 

We literally did the same thing with Rodgers except we made that mistake AFTER we drafted our guy.

Just now, Old Guy said:

On the one hand, it looks like they are taking the Green Bay route and drafting a guy to sit, watch and learn. On the other hand I would not have picked the old guy, I would have gone McCarthy. 

I mean, it's Atlanta saying that they're not going to be picking anywhere near this high for the next 2-3 years.