2024 NFL Draft: Day 1 Discussion

I'm fine with the pick being JJ McCarthy, but not if it means giving up a bunch of picks to go up and get him. If the cost is too much, I'd be perfectly content staying at #11 and #23 and improving on the defensive side of the ball. Sam Darnold isn't the long-term answer, for sure, but I don't want to mortgage the future for a QB prospect that I'm not sold on. Continue to build up the rest of the roster, go get Dak Prescott in free agency next year. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Formerly_iavikefn said:

I'm fine with the pick being JJ McCarthy, but not if it means giving up a bunch of picks to go up and get him. If the cost is too much, I'd be perfectly content staying at #11 and #23 and improving on the defensive side of the ball. Sam Darnold isn't the long-term answer, for sure, but I don't want to mortgage the future for a QB prospect that I'm not sold on. Continue to build up the rest of the roster, go get Dak Prescott in free agency next year. 

Unfotunately we don't have a 2nd next year, and improving the defense with 11/23 means next year's 1st is likely a mid-to-high pick. 

When, then, can we get a QB... A late '25 1st rounder? A Dak Prescott via '25 FA? No thanks. A '26 first rounder?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Fobos said:

Food for thought: If Dobbs didn't help us win in 2023, I think we'd be picking around #5 tonight.

Still glad we won.

I was kinda mad we won those games....  😐

• Like 1

@SteelKing728 saw your tweet you linked a few pages back in the other thread, wanted to add some input.  The Giants would likely need to include something beyond the 6th pick, so the original tweet is a bit misleading since no NFL GM in their right mind would offer a lesser pick than what they're going up for without some sort of incentive.

According to the traditional trade chart, the 47th pick would "beat" the Vikings offer alone, and that's assuming no other picks.  If they only offered the 70th pick, the Giants' package wouldn't be as good as the Vikings.  If they offer 70/107 along with 6, that's roughly an early 4th round pick worth of value missing.  According to the Rich Hill TVC, the gap is bigger between 11/23 and 6/47.

Either way, should be an interesting draft for the entire division.  Good luck and I'll probably pop in after the Vikings pick.  Good luck!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Hagar said:

I was kinda mad we won those games....  😐

The Dobbs games and the Raiders games really screwed us. We all knew the season was lost 8 games in. There would be no issue getting Maye if we lost even one of those games.

8 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

According to Pelissero, we got cold feet. If you think this guy can be the QB for the next decade, it shouldn't matter what the price is. That's a big time disappointment if true.

Well maybe they aren’t sure, or maybe they don’t think the gap between prospects are that great. Or maybe they are just bluffing to try to get the price down.

I think the point though is to make the right move and not just trade up for a QB just for the sake of it.

• Like 1