Ravens 2024 Draft Thread (NO SPOILERS)

21 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

EDC can talk BPA all he wants every year, however when we're coming up on the clock it's been pretty easy to identify the position that will be taken very often.

Yeah I think what I’ve learned from this particular draft about EDC are two things:

1) He does not believe in trading up for a player. He was overruled in the decision to trade up for Joe Flacco. Bisciotti was the true architect behind trading up for Lamar. So moving forward, outside of a QB, we’re probably not going to be trading up in the draft for a player… despite how aggressive he’s touted as being. It sounds like he might be more aggressive in accepting trade downs than actively going up to get a player.

2) He believes not in BPA but in the best strategy available. He talked about how he wanted to go CB in round 1 because he didn’t like the depth at the position while WR and OL still had some strong options.

It sounded like if the players are close enough ranked, he’s not going to go for the BPA or even the BPA at a needed position, but he’s going to go for the best player available that allows us to get stronger players at other needed positions later on.

But it’s definitely a more need centered approach vs Ozzie’s approach.

18 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

1) He does not believe in trading up for a player. He was overruled in the decision to trade up for Joe Flacco. Bisciotti was the true architect behind trading up for Lamar. So moving forward, outside of a QB, we’re probably not going to be trading up in the draft for a player… despite how aggressive he’s touted as being. It sounds like he might be more aggressive in accepting trade downs than actively going up to get a player.

2) He believes not in BPA but in the best strategy available. He talked about how he wanted to go CB in round 1 because he didn’t like the depth at the position while WR and OL still had some strong options.

Ozzie said DeCosta forced the Lamar Jackson trade through, they were initially going to wait until Day 2. Also EDC mentioned being close to trading up for Rosengarten yesterday at his presser. He traded up for Miles Boykin a couple years ago as well and back into the draft for Voorhees last year. As for trade downs, he said we had more offers before the Wiggins pick than we've had in recent years and obviously we didn't move back, so it's hard to say how motivated he is either way- EDC did mention preferring to go backwards though. I think it's just about weighing player vs potential picks for them.

I believe that was in reference to having similarly ranked BPAs at EDGE & WR, but knowing he'd be more likely to get a decent WR with our early 4th than an EDGE ranked where they had Isaac. Historically they've hammered those 3rd Round BPAs.

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

EDC can talk BPA all he wants every year, however when we're coming up on the clock it's been pretty easy to identify the position that will be taken very often.

Yes but in crucial spots such as in 2022 when safety and a zone-blocking center that  were not on the Ravens radar, we picked Kyle Hamilton and Linderbaum because they were overwhelmingly the best prospect.

31 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Ozzie said DeCosta forced the Lamar Jackson trade through, they were initially going to wait until Day 2. Also EDC mentioned being close to trading up for Rosengarten yesterday at his presser. He traded up for Miles Boykin a couple years ago as well and back into the draft for Voorhees last year. As for trade downs, he said we had more offers before the Wiggins pick than we've had in recent years and obviously we didn't move back, so it's hard to say how motivated he is either way- EDC did mention preferring to go backwards though. I think it's just about weighing player vs potential picks for them.

I believe that was in reference to having similarly ranked BPAs at EDGE & WR, but knowing he'd be more likely to get a decent WR with our early 4th than an EDGE ranked where they had Isaac. Historically they've hammered those 3rd Round BPAs.

That was that story. But recently I heard a story that was told by I think Kevin Byrne where he stated that it was Bisciotti who went and buzzed about going back to get Lamar.

It was then EDC that said to Ozzie that they could go up and get him. But it was Bisciotti that most wanted to make it happen. That was very surprising to me.

But in conjunction with EDC’s comments at the recent presser about not really being a believer in trading up, I think that says a lot. Then him telling that Flacco story himself unprompted.

In terms of the other trades, those are all outside of round 1. So my assumption is that he’s speaking about round 1 trade ups. But I’m not sure if he just is mostly against trade ups in general. Either way, in the draft game, I don’t think I’m ever selecting “trade up” as an option again.

5 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I don’t think I’m ever selecting “trade up” as an option again.

Probably a good rule unless we need a QB.

Watch though, next year we'll probably pop up like 3 slots or something just so we all lose points in the draft game 😂.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Just making the thread aware. I’m out the rest of the draft. So whoever else wants to post the draft threads for the prospects.

Appreciate the work this draft cycle DB.

• Like 1