First impressions: Best and worst picks thus far?

RaidersAreOne

15 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Least Favorites:
Joe Alt to Chargers (edit to clarify I like Joe Alt. I view him as a plus pass protection LT exclusive. The Chargers have a high end young LT and want to run the ball. Tailese Fuaga was the correct choice imo and likely could have been had with a small trade down [ie. small comp but 11+ stuff from Vikings for JJ], but even if not still think it's correct.)

I think Alt makes a ton of sense. He’s athletic and can play, there’s no reason that he can’t perform at a high level at RT.

Beyond that you’ve got to like the leverage that the Chargers now have over Rashawn Slater in contract negotiations. He can legit play LT at a high level, so this move can give the team enough indifference to negotiate more confidently now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

They're not sitting him 2 years. Cousins is getting cut after this season and the Falcons are going to eat $60MM in dead cap money to do it. It's bad roster building and a $100MM free agent mistake.

It's not necessarily a bad draft pick.

Just thinking outside the box here, if Kirk Cousins bounces back, what's his trade value?  The Falcons would save $2.5M by trading him after the season and the team acquiring him would get him for cap hits of $27.5M, $45M, and $45M with only $37.5M guaranteed.  I'm not saying they're going to get a haul for him, but I could see a team missing a QB giving up a Day 2 pick and some change.

• Like 3

Just now, CWood21 said:

Just thinking outside the box here, if Kirk Cousins bounces back, what's his trade value?  The Falcons would save $2.5M by trading him after the season and the team acquiring him would get him for cap hits of $27.5M, $45M, and $45M with only $37.5M guaranteed.  I'm not saying they're going to get a haul for him, but I could see a team missing a QB giving up a Day 2 pick and some change.

Exactly - different way of thinking about it: is it really any different than what the Broncos did this offseason? They took Bo Nix at 12 and have $86MM dead money for Russell Wilson. The Falcons took Penix at 8 and have $100MM dead money for Cousins. Slightly more dead money in Atlanta, but I'd argue Penix at 8 is a better pick than Nix at 12.

The money is whatever. Get the QB who can win.

Just now, diamondbull424 said:

I think Alt makes a ton of sense. He’s athletic and can play, there’s no reason that he can’t perform at a high level at RT.

Beyond that you’ve got to like the leverage that the Chargers now have over Rashawn Slater in contract negotiations. He can legit play LT at a high level, so this move can give the team enough indifference to negotiate more confidently now.

If you are moving on from Slater, then I really like the Alt pick. If you play Alt at LT, move Slater to RT and then try and low ball him in extensions because you are the Spanos family and also because he's then  "a RT" and just lose him to FA then it's awful. I think it'd be safer to extend Slater now and draft a scheme fit RT ready compliment.

4 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Exactly - different way of thinking about it: is it really any different than what the Broncos did this offseason? They took Bo Nix at 12 and have $86MM dead money for Russell Wilson. The Falcons took Penix at 8 and have $100MM dead money for Cousins. Slightly more dead money in Atlanta, but I'd argue Penix at 8 is a better pick than Nix at 12.

The money is whatever. Get the QB who can win.

Without a doubt, but just because someone else made a stupid move doesn't excuse other stupid moves.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I don't think he's tradeable due to dead money.

Best Pick- Jags, Brian Thomas Jr
Best pick that stood out to me was the Jags trading down and grabbing a player they likely wanted at 17 in Brian Thomas Jr. IMO he’s the second best WR in this draft class behind MHJ. I love the fit and that’s a great dart IMO.

Worst Pick- Indy Colts, Laiatu Latu
I look at the medical situation and age and compare it to the fact that a superior prospect in Dallas Turner was available, who can do it all, and I feel like if Latu injury busts, it will have been easy to see coming. I could get it if Turner was off the board, but not with him on the board.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

I don't think he's tradeable due to dead money.

According to OTC, they actually save a little bit of money.  The problem is the GTD money that goes with the team trading for him instead of hitting the Falcons' books.

Just now, CWood21 said:

According to OTC, they actually save a little bit of money.  The problem is the GTD money that goes with the team trading for him instead of hitting the Falcons' books.

Teams negotiate who pays what part of the money.

That said, Atlanta's wtf are you doing moment was so bad that it totally eclipsed Denver.

Denver it trying to rectify a poor trade that was made two years ago by massively reaching for a QB.  Atlanta is trying to rectify a gigantic FA signing from two months ago.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

They're not sitting him 2 years. Cousins is getting cut after this season and the Falcons are going to eat $60MM in dead cap money to do it. It's bad roster building and a $100MM free agent mistake.

It's not necessarily a bad draft pick.

Lots of scenarios where that is an insane move so it easily could be. 

9 minutes ago, Trojan said:

If you are moving on from Slater, then I really like the Alt pick. If you play Alt at LT, move Slater to RT and then try and low ball him in extensions because you are the Spanos family and also because he's then  "a RT" and just lose him to FA then it's awful. I think it'd be safer to extend Slater now and draft a scheme fit RT ready compliment.

No. I’m saying keep Slater at LT and put Alt at RT. You don’t move a player that’s an All Pro to a new spot.

However Slater is going to be expecting an extension at some point soon. Alt having LT versatility might be the different in contract leverage from having to cave and pay Slater $25m vs perhaps having the leverage to stand firm at maybe $22-23m APY.

Not a huge deal, but that might be the different between a strong veteran ring chasing and not having that guy on your roster.

Penix pick has to be the worst. 

I love Penix, but the move males zero sense. 

It's not like Atlanta didn't know they were in position for 3 of the top 6 QBs when they signed Cousins to begin with. They knew their draft slot. 

Had they taken JJ McCarthy, different story. Had they taken Penix in the 20s, slightly different story. But Penix top 10 after the Kirk signing is massive miscalculation to me. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

No. I’m saying keep Slater at LT and put Alt at RT. You don’t move a player that’s an All Pro to a new spot.

However Slater is going to be expecting an extension at some point soon. Alt having LT versatility might be the different in contract leverage from having to cave and pay Slater $25m vs perhaps having the leverage to stand firm at maybe $22-23m APY.

Not a huge deal, but that might be the different between a strong veteran ring chasing and not having that guy on your roster.

I know, but at RT and the Greg Roman offense I think Tailese Fuaga was a better selection. I don't like Alt moving sides and being asked to lead a run first mauling offense. He's too tall for that and leverage to drive becomes an issue. He's a great pass protector though. I think this is Mike McGlinchy all over again where he was the "I want that LT from Notre Dame" that's a giant and a great prospect. Then he's okay plus at RT and then leaves in FA eventually because the team has a LT making LT money that shouldn't be replaced.  

26 minutes ago, Trojan said:

No reason to let Slater walk. By the time his contract is due, the Chargers will have plenty of cap space. They don't have anyone else to pay and Harbs wants a great line.

• Like 2