First impressions: Best and worst picks thus far?

RaidersAreOne

7 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

He'll be injured when he gets injured, in other words. He didn't miss a game for two years after returning from surgery - and produced at a top level. That alone should imply no major concerns at this point. If the Colts aren't overly worried about the risk (beyond the ever-present risk that hangs over the heads of all football players), I don't see why we forum posters should be. He's been medically cleared by people more informed than you, or me, or anyone else here. I'm surprised by your description of the pick at 15 as "nuts" - he's been called one of the best pass rushers and players in the draft. If you like the guy, you don't let him fall to someone else. You think he should've gone in the second? I'm not saying there's no risk at all, but you don't think two straight years of full health and production is a sufficient track record to alleviate some concerns?

Peyton Manning did the same thing, at a much less physical position. LVE played a good 40ish games, got hurt, came back and played another couple seasons, got hurt again, then retired. Necks and backs are a funky thing, especially if you’re removing discs.

Favorite: Pearsall for SF. Purdy is going to find him over and over and over. Great fit.

Least favorite: Chargers not finding a trade partner. They drafted a Ferrari when they needed a mini-van.

I don't fault Atlanta... yet. If they believed in Penix, and if Cousins is older in person than he was from a distance, the pick was the right pick. If so, they avoided the Sunk Cost fallacy. With that said, if Penix is wrong for them, Raheem Morris is doomed. But if he is Aaron Rodgers or Jordan Love, it is okay. And I always thought slotting Dallas Turner to Atlanta was lazy mocking.

The premium pick that sets off alarm bells for me every time he speaks is Drake May. I will be interested for it to unfold to learn if the problem is me or if Drake is really Bo Callahan.

Mainly the draft played out rationally.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I hate the Penix pick a ton but Nix is right up there for me. Denver got desperate and panicked hard. 

My #1 though when the QBs were jumping off the board was please god, don't let the Saints do something stupid like drafting Bo Nix so that they'd have someone to start in 2 years and thankfully we were saved by Denver and your Raiders got a premiere TE prospect.  I was actually a little torn between Fuaga and Bowers if both were available at the Saints pick, so the Raiders made it easy for the Saints IMO.

16 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

No, not at all. He has a structural weakness in the upper part of his spine that is not going to go away because the surgery removed a disc that bends and replaced it with metal plates that don't.

I have been evaluated for this surgery (lower back, not upper) and have had a few second opinions. You are wildly, wildly underestimating the risks.

I guess there's nothing to do but wait and see.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Raves said:

I was actually a little torn between Fuaga and Bowers if both were available at the Saints pick, so the Raiders made it easy for the Saints IMO.

Fwiw I wanted to trade down or select Fuaga. I think he will be a star at T or potentially the best G in football. 

I am happy with Bowers no doubt but the Saints got extremely lucky with how the board played out to land him at #14.

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

Fwiw I wanted to trade down or select Fuaga. I think he will be a star at T or potentially the best G in football. 

I am happy with Bowers no doubt but the Saints got extremely lucky with how the board played out to land him at #14.

I think the Chargers taking Joe Alt tossed a bit of chaos into everyone's preparations and then Atlanta just completely flipped the table taking Penix.

Lions and Chiefs were smart. Good teams with one giant roster issue and both addressed them.

Although I don't love Worthy, the Chiefs could draft any WR and its going to be a decent pick.

Have to respect what the Bears did - they've been a bad offense for 75 years and they are hitting that with shock and awe. I suspect this year will be like Burrow's first in Cincy, ultimately bad but with some high points - but they could take off after that.

I'm very happy with what the Rams did - Verse is the perfect complement to Byron Young, and is just a good all around football player. With an improved secondary, all we need to be a Super Bowl contender is a good pass rush and we took the first step.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Penix was beyond bizarre.  It almost felt like a league-forced pick as punishment for the Cousins tampering.  

I mean, you could argue it was a pre-emptive attempt to get a QB before next year's first rounder gets wiped away

Edited by goldfishwars
  • Like 1