First impressions: Best and worst picks thus far?

RaidersAreOne

Like virtually everyone else, I don't understand the Falcons taking Penix at 8, and clearly Arthur Blank didn't understand either (there's video circulating of the GM having a heated conversation with Blank right after making the pick lol).

There's only 2 ways this pans out:

1. The Kirk Cousins contract was a massive mistake and Penix starts within the next 2 years.
  2. The Penix pick was a complete waste and Kirk Cousins plays out the next 2 years of his contract (and maybe beyond?), and thus you've wasted the best time to maximize contract value AND essentially wasted a 1st round pick

AND, now you have a situation where the QB you just gave $100M to feels completely blindsided by this whole thing as well!

To me, it feels like the Falcons signed Cousins with the intention of NOT going QB in this draft, then fell in love with Penix and panicked and took him at 8 because he was BPA while the other QB's were all getting swooped up. Either way, massive mistake from ATL.

• Like 3

I think my favorite pick in all of round 1 was Latu.  If he was completely healthy, he would have been a top 5 pick easily.  Considering that the Colts drafted him, they must have cleared him medically and the Colts have some of the best medical infrastructure in the NFL (since the combine is at their house.)  Sure, it's potentially very bad if he has a major neck injury but major neck injuries are bad for everybody anyway.

I think my least favorite pick was Bowers, since I'm not sure how a really good move TE actually changes anything for Vegas.  As I said in the draft thread, it's like having dessert first.  The Penix pick is weird, but I understand the process.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Well this was the plan though according to their GM. They literally called to the Packers formula in their Press Conference and said that wanted to use that as a model. If that is the case.... They are just unbelievably idiotic. You could spin this if they had gotten a guy like Maye, but Penix played in CFB forever and is 24. Now they are wasting two+ years of his rookie deal with Kirk as the starter... I just don't understand it. The logic and process are so flawed.

Obviously if the goal the entire offseason was to turn Kirk Cousins into a $100MM babysitter, that's dumb. But they aren't wasting years because they drafted Penix. They're wasting these years because they signed a mediocre QB to big money.

I'm not saying that what the Falcons did is smart or efficient. I'm saying people are misidentifying the primary mistake.

i was drunk enough by the time the falcons picked that i didnt realize they had paid Kirk until i checked reddit this morning and saw his reaction to it

maybe the falcons GM did the same thing as me lol

Edited by tab

Favorite picks for me were Philly with Mitchell, Seattle with Murphy, New Orleans with Fuaga and Arizona with Robinson.

Least favorite for me, KC with Worthy (they think they just replaced Hill, but they actually replaced Hardman), Cowboys trading down and missing out on the more NFL ready OL to take a project, Viking trading away all of their 2025 picks so we can't boo them in GB. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Like virtually everyone else, I don't understand the Falcons taking Penix at 8, and clearly Arthur Blank didn't understand either (there's video circulating of the GM having a heated conversation with Blank right after making the pick lol).

1. The Kirk Cousins contract was a massive mistake and Penix starts within the next 2 years.
  2. The Penix pick was a complete waste and Kirk Cousins plays out the next 2 years of his contract (and maybe beyond?), and thus you've wasted the best time to maximize contract value AND essentially wasted a 1st round pick

AND, now you have a situation where the QB you just gave $100M to feels completely blindsided by this whole thing as well!

To me, it feels like the Falcons signed Cousins with the intention of NOT going QB in this draft, then fell in love with Penix and panicked and took him at 8 because he was BPA while the other QB's were all getting swooped up. Either way, massive mistake from ATL.

It's either this or Blank meddled and demanded Cousins. There's no good explanation period, but I don't know how you even grasp at straws to come up with another way to explain why they went after both.

• Like 1

I still don't like the Falcons pick compared to drafting a edge rusher but i can somewhat understand their reasoning behind it. I will say though their is 1 reason im not fully blasting on the pick and thats because you have kirk which is also a main reason to blast the pick lol.   With kirk and this talented team you know you are not likely to draft in the top 15 again if you are the coaching staff.  Just because Kirk is a regular season monster.  If you think this is your last chance to draft a legit top QB talent that you see as a franchise guy in the next 2 years or so.  I can understand making that move so that you don't have to give tons of picks up to try and move up in 2 or 3 years like the Panthers did or other teams to go get your guy.    Going from 15 or later to top 5 for a QB in a year or 2 is going to cost a fortune and will cost you way more than the 1 pick you use now on Penix.    So as a long term move i like it and understand it as a right now move i hate it because i want the pass rush fixed for the last decade plus.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Favorite picks for me were Philly with Mitchell, Seattle with Murphy, New Orleans with Fuaga and Arizona with Robinson.

Least favorite for me, KC with Worthy (they think they just replaced Hill, but they actually replaced Hardman), Cowboys trading down and missing out on the more NFL ready OL to take a project, Viking trading away all of their 2025 picks so we can't boo them in GB. 

While I think you are correct on the Tyreek part, comparing him to Hardman is lazy. Worthy tracks the ball great, runs good routes and had over 3000 yards in college. Hardman on the other hand was purely a deep threat and had like 900 yards in college. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mizter_Clean10 said:

While I think you are correct on the Tyreek part, comparing him to Hardman is lazy. Worthy tracks the ball great, runs good routes and had over 3000 yards in college. Hardman on the other hand was purely a deep threat and had like 900 yards in college. 

He's not an alpha, he's too frail to leave on the LOS, you're going to have to move him around a scheme targets for him, that's just not a round 1 WR to me. Pearsall will have a better career. 

13 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

This is the likely scenario IMO. 

I was listening to GM shuffle during the draft and Lombardi read a text from a former Falcons employee. The employee basically said Raheem falls in love with guys and that Fontenot and Pace would "lay" down for him. So yeah, this probably wasn't the plan when they started the off-season. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Least favorite for me, KC with Worthy

Yeah, I keep coming back to how the Chiefs plan to play outdoors in Kansas City in January in some important games.  We saw in the game against the Dolphins how "grass doesn't stay alive in Missouri in January" negates speedy WRs.  Was this pick solely for when they go play the Super Bowl on carpet?

6 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's either this or Blank meddled and demanded Cousins. There's no good explanation period, but I don't know how you even grasp at straws to come up with another way to explain why they went after both.

I like this theory.

4 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

I still don't like the Falcons pick compared to drafting a edge rusher but i can somewhat understand their reasoning behind it. I will say though their is 1 reason im not fully blasting on the pick and thats because you have kirk which is also a main reason to blast the pick lol.   With kirk and this talented team you know you are not likely to draft in the top 15 again if you are the coaching staff.  Just because Kirk is a regular season monster.  If you think this is your last chance to draft a legit top QB talent that you see as a franchise guy in the next 2 years or so.  I can understand making that move so that you don't have to give tons of picks up to try and move up in 2 or 3 years like the Panthers did or other teams to go get your guy.    Going from 15 or later to top 5 for a QB in a year or 2 is going to cost a fortune and will cost you way more than the 1 pick you use now on Penix.    So as a long term move i like it and understand it as a right now move i hate it because i want the pass rush fixed for the last decade plus.

This doesn't make logical sense. Like at all.

You're saying " We shouldn't invest in our team to win now even though we have a QB and a team built to win now because when we DO need a QB we're not going to be in a position to get one in 3-4 years"? How does that make sense? If you know you're gonna be good with COusins, why would not take a player that helps your team win now? lol

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, game3525 said:

This is the likely scenario IMO. 

I was listening to GM shuffle during the draft and Lombardi read a text from a former Falcons employee. The employee basically said Raheem falls in love with guys and that Fontenot and Pace would "lay" down for him. So yeah, this probably wasn't the plan when they started the off-season. 

How long do you think the Falcons have to wait before they can start pushing to move free agency after the draft without people figuring it out?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

This is what we call drinking the Kool-Aid(not McKinstrey).

Just because you can rationalize the move.... it doesn't make the move rational. Signing Kirk to that contract and then immediately drafting his backup(who is 24 years old already and was perceived as pro ready) is just terrible process. Are the Falcons trying to win with Kirk? Or are they interested in looking to the future? They are stuck between both modes right now and that is how you end up in this mess.

• Like 2