First impressions: Best and worst picks thus far?

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

I think people are reacting too hard in a negative way to the picks of Penix and Nix. One I believe front offices may of been higher on them than the media, 2) People say of you could of traded down and got him.

The latter I definitely don't believe there were only a handful of trades done with the highest asset being a 2025 third changing hands and the other 4 trades weren't close to that. So if the value isn't there for a trade down staying there and getting your guy makes sense 

With respect to Nix, I’ve seen him play for more than half a decade…he’s not a franchise QB IMO.

• Like 7

Best

3. Patriots - Maye 

9. Bears - Odunze

11. Jets - Fashanu

18. Bengals - Mims

20. Steelers - Fautanu

22. Eagles - Mitchell

23. Jags - Brian Thomas (+trade down)

24. Lions - Arnold

26. Buccs - Barton

Worst

8. Falcons - Penix 

12. Broncos - Nix

17. Vikings - Turner (not the player, just the horrible combined value of the trades up)

Everything else is varying degrees of fine. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

With respect to Nix, I’ve seen him play for more than half a decade…he’s not a franchise QB IMO.

Complete meatball. I don't understand how anyone could watch him be the same guy since his freshman year and think there's growth there.

• Like 1

Best:

9. Bears- WR Rome Odunze:  Bears get terrific value at 9.  Keenan Allen was added this offseason but he wont be there long term.  Caleb Williams will have a ton of weapons to throw to.

20. Steelers- OL Troy Fautanu:  Steelers get tremendous value with him at pick 20.  

22. Eagles- CB Quinyon Mitchell:  When the QB's start going early it was obvious defensive prospects would drop.  I prefer Arnold over Mitchell.  I had them rated 1a and 1b with the slight edge to Arnold.  Mitchell is an absolute steal at 22.  Rich get richer.

24.  Lions- CB Terrion Arnold:  Can't speak on Mitchell without speaking on Arnold.  I am glad either of those 2 are in the AFC South.  Great move by the Lions trading up and selecting him.

Worst:

7. Titans- OL JC Latham:  I said the mock it would be funny if the Chargers took Alt ahead of the Titans since he was mocked them them so many times throughout the draft proccess and low and behold it actually happened.  Titans panicked and reached for Latham.  I think he will bust as a tackle but be really good as a guard.  You dont take guards in the top 10 of the draft. 

8. Falcons- QB Micheal Penix Jr.:  Definitely the first WTF pick of the draft.  I was legit shocked he was taken by them.  Its going to be an interesting development to see how the Falcons plan on doing their QB situation going forward.  

12. Broncos- QB Bo Nix:  I get why the Broncos did it, but its about the value for me.  Nix definitely shouldnt have gone within the top 12 picks. They kind of have would have been screwed if the Raiders who picked behind him liked Nix would have taken him at 13 if the Broncos passed. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I think most people more or less agree. It wasn’t Penix that was the mistake. I think him going top 10 would have been a surprise, but a team like the raiders or Vikings or broncos taking maybe the most pro ready QB made sense. It’s all about the optics of Kirk. That’s why everyone gives this an F. I actually doubt you would have seen them otherwise. 

Do they? "I don't get the Penix pick when they signed Kirk Cousins" is the most common answer in the thread. And on one hand I get it because both moves combined are hilariously dumb, but to me people are getting it backwards.

Signing Kirk Cousins is dumb when you have the 8th pick in the draft and think there are 4 franchise QBs on the board.

17 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Worst:

7. Titans- OL JC Latham:  I said the mock it would be funny if the Chargers took Alt ahead of the Titans since he was mocked them them so many times throughout the draft proccess and low and behold it actually happened.  Titans panicked and reached for Latham.  I think he will bust as a tackle but be really good as a guard.  You dont take guards in the top 10 of the draft. 

It was whispers within the Titans community leading up to the draft that the Titans didn’t view Alt as “can’t miss” as the draft community did and may have actually preferred Latham. Then, Diana Russini came out and said after the draft that Latham was Papa Callahan’s guy. Now it may be them trying to save face, but given how some older draftniks guy (Lance Zierlein and Greg Cosell) actually had Latham>Alt, it certainly wouldn’t surprise me if Daddy Callahan felt the same.

Edited by TitanSlim

2 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:
6 hours ago, bomont said:

Agreed on both. wtf were the Colts thinking.......hey you can have the best defensive player in the country.....forget Turner, forget Verse, forget two stud CBs (a big need area for them), let's pick an injury-prone edge player. Good call! 

Ah yes, an "injury-prone" player who hasn't been injured in two years!

Any person with a spinal fusion is injury prone for the rest of their life, much less a football player. The patient can't move that part of their spine, and the resulting extra torque that places on vertebrates directly above and below leads to frequent re-injury. And when it goes, the only treatment is to expand the fusion, which would unquestionably be a career ending injury.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/10/161004111655.htm

Good Chance of Continuing NFL Career after CDH Surgery

The researchers identified 53 NFL players who underwent surgery for a herniated disc in the cervical spine between 1979 and 2013. Forty players had confirmed data on the level of the disc injury: 15 had "upper level" CDH (involving the uppermost vertebrae of the neck) while 25 had "lower level" injuries. Forty-five percent of the players were defensive backs and linebackers.

Rates of successful return to play after CDH surgery were analyzed. Most players -- 67 percent of those with upper-level CDH and 72 percent with lower-level injuries -- were able to return to play after surgery and rehabilitation, with no significant differences between the two groups. In both groups, recovery time was about nine months. On average, players continued playing for about 44 games and three years after CDH surgery.

Latu is going to be involved in dog piles getting his neck compressed over and over, and the Colts are trying to get a 2nd contract out of him. To be clear, I hope I'm wrong. I'm rooting for the kid. But investing that kind of pick value with such a limited track record is nuts.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

Loved

Eagles - Mitchell is a steal there, how does that keep happening

Steelers - Dream scenario for them

Vikings - Didn't love the value of the second tradeup, but they didn't burn every asset they have and waited for JJ to fall to them + Dallas Turner is great value there

Seahawks - Love Murphy. I have no idea what they're doing at IOL though

Jags - BTJ is 10th on my BB. Getting him at 23 with a trade down is awesome

Hated/Didn't like

Falcons - Obviously

Broncos - Obviously

Colts - I just don't love Latu. I'd have clearly prefered Mitchell here, or Verse/Turner if they were going edge rusher

Chiefs/Niners - Both Worthy and Pearsall are great fits for what each team is doing, so I'm a little tentative to list them here. But I just think it's 15/20 picks too high for those guys

1 hour ago, TitanSlim said:

I’ve seen it try to be explained away by some Falcons fans and media members on Twitter but I’ll never get the Penix pick. 

Kinda similar to Love->Rodgers, yeah? Don’t fully remember what Rodgers’ contract situation was like at the time, though. A-Rod was also a little older (38) than Kirk is right now (36 Week 1), so there’s that. And tbf, the Packers were picking later in the draft, not the top 10. 

But the premise and reaction are similar. Yeah, you’ve got a guy that you see being your franchise QB for a few years, but now you’ve got a talented guy to groom. Everyone hates it at the time, but Packers fans are happy they have Love now. 

It wouldn’t have been the move I make, but I see the logic. If Penix busts and/or guys like Turner or Latu become monsters, then Ossenfort will look really bad.

Edited by Soko

45 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Vikings - Turner (not the player, just the horrible combined value of the trades up)

I didn't see the value chart. How much value are the Vikings missing with this trade? It seemed pretty reasonable.