2024 - Let Kwesi Cook! (The 2024 Draft)

Assuming McCarthy is a good QB, I think this is a great draft. Turner will be elite. Jackson will be an average starter. And I think at least one OL also becomes an average starter. Plus, I think they got a long term kicker. Night and day from the first draft. Night and day. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Assuming McCarthy is a good QB, I think this is a great draft. Turner will be elite.

We certainly need the depth but the above alone would be a grand slam draft.

I don't know why but I'm not as optimistic about either of the OL becoming a starter, let alone an average one. High quality backup would be a great outcome though!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

We certainly need the depth but the above alone would be a grand slam draft.

I don't know why but I'm not as optimistic about either of the OL becoming a starter, let alone an average one. High quality backup would be a great outcome though!

Considering the track record of our organization with late-round OL, I don't see any reason why we should be optimistic about them.   The last "OT" drafted past the 2nd rd that developed into a starter or even backup, was Matt Birk in 1998 (yes, he was drafted as an OT, but converted to C/OG upon arrival).  If you don't count him, then you have to go back to 1993 and Everett Lindsay, who was a pretty good backup OL (he played all positions) for the mid-90s Vikings.

For OG, you have to go back to 1988 when they drafted Todd Kalis in the 4th round (the same year they drafted his college linemate Randall McDaniel in the 1st rd). 

Only C have they had any recent success, and that's moderate at best, having drafted Fusco in 2011 and Sullivan in 2008 in the 6th rd.

Until someone changes the narrative, I don't see any reason to be optimistic.  I only hope they can show enough to make the PS at the very least. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

I don’t use any special formula or analytical metric to come up with the order — I simply go by which team got me the most pumped about their draft hauls. Obviously, teams with multiple early-round picks will show up higher in the rankings than those with fewer selections.

15. Minnesota Vikings

Day 3 pick who could surprise: Khyree Jackson, CB, Oregon

Jackson has taken a winding path to this point. If he can build upon the promise he showed on his 2023 tape, though, the Vikings could have a starting-caliber player. He has rare size (6-4, 194), which allows him to match up and take away air space downfield. His discipline must improve, but Jackson has favorable tools.

https://theathletic.com/5454505/2024/04/29/nfl-draft-2024-rankings-grades-picks-by-team/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=twhq&source=twitterhq&access_token=595014

His "least" favorite drafts...Denver and Atlanta.  🤣

Edited by swede700

8 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

The fact that the Vikings were trying to trade up for a QB that was not McCarthy may be very disappointing to the people that thought once you have identified the QB you want you should get them at all costs. I didn't agree with that line of thinking but understand it enough to feel a little bad for the people that thought that is how the Vikings should attack the QB situation in this draft. The Vikings did not get their guy, but they still got a guy they liked enough to trade up a spot. I commend Kwesi for not panicking into trading in front of the Giants out of fear they may draft a QB. It's possible that the Vikings liked Penix more than McCarthy, but given injury concerns I don't think it would have been worth trading in front of the Falcons to draft Penix.

Personally, I think the Vikings could have sat tight at 11 and still gotten McCarthy; he might have even still been on the board at 23. However, by trading up we at least know the Vikings got a guy they really wanted rather than being stuck into drafting a QB at 11 just because they needed a QB.  That's what I like about the trade. It informs us that the team really liked McCarthy.  Was it worth the picks?  I don't know.  I am happy to root for the team KAM is forming.

I honestly doubt Penix ever would have been the pick based on him being left handed and the fact he is not super experienced under center.  If he was there though not sure they would have taken him but probably if McCarthy was gone because he is more of a deep thrower than Nix but I could see the Vikings liking Nix and how he gets the football out quickly and accurately.

If McCarthy went to the Giants I would have been fine with that but I am ok with the fact he dropped to the Vikings.  If the Vikings traded up 3 1st round draft picks to get McCarthy I would of had a massive issue with that because he is simply not that rare of a talent in terms of his arm talent.  Especially considering a guy like Michael Pratt was picked in the freaking 7th round, by Green Bay none the less and he made more impressive throws at times than McCarthy.  Pratt was hurt though this past year and did not play a full season or play his best so sure that might be why he fell a bit, but dude can sling it and really turned that Tulane program around.  Vikings could of had their pick of Rattler or Travis in the 5th or Pratt in the 7th or Hartman or Kedon Slovis as a UDFA.  So in that regard curious what they would have done if for sure they would know all of those guys would fall that far.  I assume for sure they thought Rattler and Travis would be gone in the 3rd or 4th round, even Pratt for that matter so they had to make a move in the 1st round.  

It was a surprise to me how much they had to give up to just move up one draft position, and I agree the Jets most likely would have never taken him but the Jets could have traded the pick to someone that was going to take him.  Really would have been interesting if Penix did not go to Atlanta would the Vikings have traded ahead of the Jets to get McCarthy, I doubt it.  And based on how much they seem to love the guy and his "emotional intelligence" I assume he was their main target all the way, but of course if McCarthy went to the Patriots and Maye fell they would have been fine with him as well.  

• Like 1

There were a couple reports locally that while McCarthy would have most likely been the pick, had Michael Penix been on the board there certainly would have been a discussion. 

My take from local Twitter and radio chatter is that, between the two QBs, Kwesi and O’Connell were high on McCarthy. But there was someone high enough in the scouting department for their opinion to carry weight that was high on Penix. Which would likely be Grigson, Stephenson, or Monnens. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

I'm stoked that Atlanta took Penix so we didn't walk into that mistake. The only thing about it I don't like is that Kirk has to deal with that fallout. But he has a hundred million reasons to deal with it. 

• Like 3

There are a lot of different feelings about the Minnesota Vikings’ draft performance, but according to the analytics, they had the best draft in the league through the first three rounds.

From statistics from Warren Sharp on X (formerly Twitter), the Vikings got more value out of their picks in the first three rounds than any other team in the league. Sharp calculated this by comparing the DCOE, or Draft Capital over Expected) comparing where a player was expected to be drafted and the capital expected to be used to get him versus the actual investment.

According to DCOE, the Vikings picks over the first three rounds, quarterback J.J. McCarthy and EDGE Dallas Turner, netted the Vikings a score of 3.6, more than a half-point better than the next closest team, their NFC North rivals Detroit.

Detractors of the Vikings’ draft would say that the team gave up too much in order to get McCarthy and Turner, but the data paints a different picture. That picture becomes even better when you consider the amount of salary cap space the Vikings are projected to have next season and the compensatory picks they could receive for the free agents they lost in 2024.

Warren Sharp@SharpFootball

some have asked what this looks like only at the top of the draft here you go:

Most Value Extracted from the 1st Three Rounds of the 2024 NFL Draft top-10 teams in value in both 1st three rounds and full draft:

Vikings
Lions
Steelers
Chiefs
Eagles
Saints
Ravens

bottom-10 in both:
Falcons
Patriots
Cardinals
49ers
Panthers
Jaguars
Packers

draft-grade3.jpg

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2024/04/29/vikings-got-most-value-out-of-first-three-rounds-per-analytics/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR2pm8XfdDNoJmHEQJ_1RmDZoDDN_AwU-GPh0oO9DAphpcnc2c4GQmP6HBs_aem_Ab13gNDqwHDX79yF_34h2elmAcrj56IZAPf5R8HVHlBZyodyUlYUA3ITwyWAa3civt46g3bjn2_k-cu1GTxvgRFK

• Like 2

Doing some draft gymnastics here. If the draft had turned out like this:

1st - QB JJ McCarthy
1st - EDGE Dallas Turner
4th - CB Khyree Jackson
6th - OT Walter Rouse
6th -CB  Dwight Mclothren
7th - C Michael Jurgens

7th - EDGE Gabrial Murphy

With K Will Reichard signing as a UDFA rather than being drafted.

I would have considered the draft an A+ 

Edited by viking
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, viking said:

What are you considering it without said gymnastics? Given 2 kickers went shortly after Reichard I doubt he makes it to UDFA whereas Murphy did...

16 minutes ago, viking said:

1st - QB JJ McCarthy
1st - EDGE Dallas Turner
4th - CB Khyree Jackson
6th - OT Walter Rouse
6th -CB  Will Reichard
7th - C Michael Jurgens

7th - EDGE Gabrial Murphy

With K Will Reichard signing as a UDFA rather than being drafted.

I would have considered the draft an A+ 

i really like the guy, but not enough to sign him to two contracts....

• Like 2