2024 - Let Kwesi Cook! (The 2024 Draft)

16 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i really like the guy, but not enough to sign him to two contracts....

Lol sorry about that. I have now edited my original post.

That's what i get for posting on the forum while i should be working

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

What are you considering it without said gymnastics? Given 2 kickers went shortly after Reichard I doubt he makes it to UDFA whereas Murphy did...

I'd say between an A- and an A.

I just really hate drafting a kicker (or punter) when there are legit starters at other positions available

3 minutes ago, viking said:

I just really hate drafting a kicker (or punter) when there are legit starters at other positions available

But there aren't legit starters. There might be. But the success rate on sixth round picks is very, very, very low. Every year fans say that "I can't believe so and so is still available in round X!" And then the guy goes on to do nothing. The kicker is definitely going to be the "legit starter" from day one. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, viking said:

Considering it's the 6th rd, I'm not sure how many "legit" starters there were...and this apparently was one of those years where there weren't enough "draftable" players to fill the entire draft, as there was something like 170 players that were considered draftable that ended up going back to school.

• Like 2

Just now, wcblack34 said:

But there aren't legit starters. There might be. But the success rate on sixth round picks is very, very, very low. Every year fans say that "I can't believe so and so is still available in round X!" And then the guy goes on to do nothing. The kicker is definitely going to be the "legit starter" from day one. 

sorry potential starters I should have said

34 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

This might have been posted while I was away but it's interesting to think about. 

Is Maye worth that haul? Honestly I'd rather have what we got than just him and a couple mid round picks.

I'd rather have McCarthy, Turner and a first next year, than Maye. Because I don't know which, if either, QB will be better/good, frankly. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Is Maye worth that haul? Honestly I'd rather have what we got than just him and a couple mid round picks.

He is easily worth that haul if he ends up being a 15-year franchise QB.  I don't have enough confidence in Maye to give up that much. 

At best, being very generous, I would say Maye has a 70% chance of becoming a long-term franchise QB. 

If you think that McCarthy has a 40% chance of becoming a long-term franchise QB and you think future efforts towards securing a franchise QB in the first round should be on guys that you believe have a 50% chance, that means you have an 85% chance of finding the franchise QB by using the three picks on separate QBs, which is quite a bit better than the 70% chance you would have had with just Maye.

It all depends, however, on what you think the probability is of Maye being a franchise QB.  If you think it is 100%, you give up the four first round picks that would have been the max the Vikings could have given this year. You do that knowing that odds heavily suggest you are getting the better end of that deal.

6 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

This might have been posted while I was away but it's interesting to think about. 

I was expecting to have to give up the 23 to get McCarthy so in that case it would have only been giving up an additional first. I'm happy the way it turned out

• Like 1

The Vikings landed quarterback J.J. McCarthy after climbing only one spot, but the draft capital they burned elsewhere was so massive that some execs questioned Minnesota’s process.

“I can buy trading some future picks if you are going to be contending and you are going to get a potential starter,” one exec said. “But the Vikings are not even close to contending. What they did, or even what the Bears did in giving up a (2025) fourth (for a fifth this year), I would not be doing that if I were those teams.”

McCarthy and Turner will cost less than $9.5 million in combined APY. That and the $19 million APY for free-agent pass rusher Jonathan Greenard is far less than the combined $69.5 million in APY that Cousins and former Vikings pass rusher Danielle Hunter commanded in the market.

“They got younger, cheaper and healthier with more upside,” an exec said. “It is hard to argue against that.”

https://theathletic.com/5464817/2024/05/02/nfl-draft-nfc-best-worst-classes-insider-reaction/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=twhq&source=twitterhq

Picks are so overrated. Yes they are important, but the odds of a 3rd or 4th rounder being any decent is not good. For every Cam Bynum you get, you get Chazz Surratt, Wyan Davis, and Kellen Mond. Or Dru Samia, TJ Clemmings, and the list goes on and on.

Hedging our bets on a guy who is way more likely to be an impact player seeing meaningful snaps, but also has the potential to be an absolute game-wrecker is a no-brainer to me. 

• Like 4