Which rookie QB landed in the best/worst spot to succeed?

1) Caleb Williams, Team around him is ready to compete

2) JJ McCarthy, Coaching and legit talent on offense

3) Bo Nix, Coaching should set him up despite offense talent

4) Michael Penix, They have some talent but it's a weird situation to walk into

5) Jayden Daniels, Needs an injection of talent and i'm not sure about the coaching heis going to get.

6) Drake Maye, Nothing around him at present

3 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Has a first overall QB ever landed in a better position than Williams just did?

• DJ Moore
  • Keenan Allen
  • Rome Odunze
  • Cole Kmet
  • D'Andre Swift

Bryce Young has to be fuming.

That's my thoughts. He won't have many excuses.

I think Nix in Den is the worst. No veteran QB to lean on, poor o-line, lack of weapons. Maybe Payton is can make up for that, but I'm not betting on it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drew39k said:

I think Nix in Den is the worst. No veteran QB to lean on, poor o-line, lack of weapons. Maybe Payton is can make up for that, but I'm not betting on it.

Yeah I don't love this either. I am trying not to sound like a homer but quite frankly I would have been furious if the Raiders took him anywhere in the first. Mid-second round maaaaybe. Denver panicked with all the QBs flying off the board and settled for Bo.

That supporting cast in Denver is atrocious. Payton better put him in a position to succeed early or else.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Caleb Williams - Chicago
Jayden Daniels - Washington
Drake Maye - New England
Michael Penix - Atlanta
JJ McCarthy - Minnesota
Bo Nix - Denver

Which situation do you see as most conducive to looking like Stroud early... and conversely, looking like Bryce?

Chicago - I think Caleb Williams is gonna struggle. I would have kept Justin Fields & traded #1 overall for a Franchise breaking return in draft capital. They really could have loaded that roster with talent in this draft & others around Fields. All in all? I think the Bears made a bad decision @QB & we will find out. 

Washington - I wanted Bo Nix! But it looks like Jayden Daniels is our *new* Franchise QB.  If QB's Randall Cunningham & Lamar Jackson had a baby? It would be Jayden Daniels. If he can stay healthy with his 6'4" 210 frame? He's going to be fun to watch. If we hired the right coaching staff? We could be better than anticipated. If we put players around him in this draft & future drafts? Look out!  If our Offensive line somehow doesn't suck? The NFC East could get interesting.

New England - I think Drake Maye is a good QB, in a bad situation. I also don't think he's ready to start immediately. But, he most likely will. New England still has a lot of work to do, imo. But at least they realized that Zac wasn't the guy, so that's a start.

Atlanta - 😂 

If Penix was 16 (& injury free), instead of 26. ( I kid) This would be an outstanding pick. This reminds me of the Browns selecting QB Brandon Weeden in the 1st years ago. Do you guys remember that? I think the results will unfortunately, be the same for Atlanta. The only way this pick doesn't suck, is if Cousins is traded. How do you do that, with Cousin 1 Billion $ *new*contract? Penix has an arm! Will he ever see the field, however? He'll be 30 by the time he plays.

Minny - JJ McCarthy is a good pick, if he's the real deal. Minny has a lot of talent. Is JJ ready now, is the Question? He's in the best situation, imo of the QB's listed.

Denver - My favorite QB in the Draft in Bo Nix. I also think Denver hit a home run here. If Sean Payton is the coach, he was with Drew Brees? Denver will quickly become good. Better look over your shoulder Chief fans! Denver's coming for ya. 

So I think Daniels, McCarthy & Bo Nix will have success & good NFL career.

I think Caleb Williams, Drake Maye & Penix will flame out.

Edited by aceinthehouse
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Washington - I wanted Bo Nix! But it looks like Jayden Daniels is our *new* Franchise QB.  If QB's Randall Cunningham & Lamar Jackson had a baby? It would be Jayden Daniels. If he can stay healthy with his 6'4" 210 frame? He's going to be fun to watch. If we hired the right coaching staff? We could be better than anticipated. If we put players around him in this draft & future drafts? Look out!  If our Offensive line somehow doesn't suck? The NFC East could get interesting.

What's the formula say? 🤔

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Chicago - I think Caleb Williams is gonna struggle. I would have kept Justin Fields & traded #1 overall for a Franchise breaking return in draft capital. They really could have loaded that roster with talent in this draft & others around Fields. All in all? I think the Bears made a bad decision @QB & we will find out. 

The thing about that is

Fields sucks.

• Like 10

Im considering their talent levels as well as QBs.

JJ should be #1 here. He'll sit for a year, learn from KOC, and he's got a good to great offense around him with elite weapons. 

2nd is Caleb Williams. He's got 3 great pass catchers now, but he's behind a somewhat questionable OL and Waldron could potentially be hit or miss there as an OC. 

3rd is Penix, I guess? The Falcons are a good team. Zac Robinson should be a good OC, the OL is very strong, and there are solid pass catchers. I just don't know when he'll actually play. 

4th is Bo Nix. Having Sean Payton is good enough to rank him over the last 2. He's also as NFL ready as a QB can be really, considering the amount of college snaps he had. 

5th is Jayden Daniels (by default; the Pats are awful). Plenty of good pass catchers, but man that OL is god awful and Daniels is awful at converting pressures to sacks. I'm not sure their offense is gonna be all that different from last year, with tons of sacks given up.

6th is Maye, unfortunately. Pats OL is very bad, and their receivers are very bad. I think Maye is a guy who can elevate a team, but I'm not sure that happens year 1 and I don't know how much he can elevate this cast. It's bad. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Has a first overall QB ever landed in a better position than Williams just did?

• DJ Moore
  • Keenan Allen
  • Rome Odunze
  • Cole Kmet
  • D'Andre Swift

Bryce Young has to be fuming.

See, I see this and yeah it’s crazy to see the talent there.  However, as a Washington fan, I just can’t shake the feeling that, for the past 25 years, we haven’t had nice things.  Some thing just happens.  Whether or not it’s bad juju from a terrible owner, the stadium being built on an old Native American burial ground, or just organizational malpractice, I don’t know.  But what I do know is that substantial change doesn’t come until you do a complete makeover in the front office and coaching staff, which is what I’ve seen in the Baltimore Orioles organization as a lifelong Orioles fan. 

No QB in Bears history has passed for over 3838 yards, and no Bears QB has ever passed for 30 touchdowns, and they’re the only team that hasn’t done that.  And yeah, the last one for Washington was Sonny Jurgenson 40 years ago, so I have no room to talk and I’m also down on the Daniels pick.  But my point…….history repeats itself.  You can bring in all of the talent in the world, but what is going to guarantee that history doesnt repeat itself?  I’m not sure the Bears organization is going to sustain putting these players into the best position.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

See, I see this and yeah it’s crazy to see the talent there.  However, as a Washington fan, I just can’t shake the feeling that, for the past 25 years, we haven’t had nice things.  Some thing just happens.  Whether or not it’s bad juju from a terrible owner, the stadium being built on an old Native American burial ground, or just organizational malpractice, I don’t know.  But what I do know is that substantial change doesn’t come until you do a complete makeover in the front office and coaching staff, which is what I’ve seen in the Baltimore Orioles organization as a lifelong Orioles fan. 

No QB in Bears history has passed for over 3838 yards, and no Bears QB has ever passed for 30 touchdowns, and they’re the only team that hasn’t done that.  And yeah, the last one for Washington was Sonny Jurgenson 40 years ago, so I have no room to talk and I’m also down on the Daniels pick.  But my point…….history repeats itself.  You can bring in all of the talent in the world, but what is going to guarantee that history doesnt repeat itself?  I’m not sure the Bears organization is going to sustain putting these players into the best position.  

As a jets fan, I get were you are coming from with this sentiment. My counter would be that history does repeat, until it doesn't. The patriots were a joke franchise for decades, then they luck into Tom Brady and become a premier, face of the league team for two decades.

1 hour ago, aceinthehouse said:

If Penix was 16 (& injury free), instead of 26. ( I kid) This would be an outstanding pick. This reminds me of the Browns selecting QB Brandon Weeden in the 1st years ago. Do you guys remember that? I think the results will unfortunately, be the same for Atlanta. The only way this pick doesn't suck, is if Cousins is traded. How do you do that, with Cousin 1 Billion $ *new*contract? Penix has an arm! Will he ever see the field, however? He'll be 30 by the time he plays.

Jayden Daniels is like 6 months younger than Penix lol

• Like 2