24 Draft: Eagles Select - 03.94 EDGE Jalyx Hunt

6 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Hurt to lose out of some of the guys after the trade backs. Hunt + two 4ths at least helps hedge the bet.

I'm figuring we got sniped on some guys we might've wanted at 78... Kiran Amegadjie? Junior Colson? Brandon Coleman? Cooper Beebe? Trevin Wallace?

Then Roman Wilson got sniped a couple picks before us at 86 after the first trade back.

2 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I'm figuring we got sniped on some guys we might've wanted at 78... Kiran Amegadjie? Junior Colson? Brandon Coleman? Cooper Beebe? Trevin Wallace?

Then Roman Wilson got sniped a couple picks before us at 86 after the first trade back.

For sure think Howie might admit to have gotten a little too cute with the second trade back in the 3rd that lost them Roman Wilson…but you’d have to imagine the gap wasn’t super far on what bucket tiers they had him and Hunt in.

(Otherwise they woulda just taken him)

Hunt is a year or two away which means he'll be called a bust next year.
The criticisms of him are dubious, though.
He's from a small school. (like Robert Mathis)
He converted from another position.
Blah, blah, blah.

He has the skill set these Eagles covet.
He's fast off the snap and he can drop into coverage.
His experience at another position actually helps him in this scheme.
He'll need to improve with a good second move and add some strength.
Those things are doable.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

He rose a ton throughout the process, remember he was there a lot for the 5ths for awhile. Then started going above us in the 4th, then in the last 10 days or so crept into the top 100 for a lot of the draft guys. Seemingly pointing to them finally hearing from team sources where he was ranked.

I think it’s tough to shed that baggage when you’re labeled a day 3 pick early.

But just looking at the prospect it reminds me a lot of the Davion Taylor selection, except edge is a far easier position to translate traits to success. Both were guys our DC wanted, both needed some time in the oven, both plus athletes. Hopefully Vic’s plan for him is good.

I do like his super high ceiling. Just taking a JAG at edge doesn’t do much for us. You have Huff for 3 years, 4 for Smith if he develops. Then you have Sweat and BG for at least this year. Doesn’t really move the needle in terms of potential round 1 need next year.

Obviously the hope is Huff proves he can handle the top spot, Nolan develops and Hunt can flash as a situational guy at least.

Hurt to lose out of some of the guys after the trade backs. Hunt + two 4ths at least helps hedge the bet.

This is a lot of words to essentially say this was not a great pick. This guy had very modest production against players who won’t sniff the NFL, has zero pash rush moves and is a massive project across the board. 

Hunt is a 5th, most likely 6th round project. Just feels like a wasted pick to me. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kiltman said:

For sure think Howie might admit to have gotten a little too cute with the second trade back in the 3rd that lost them Roman Wilson…but you’d have to imagine the gap wasn’t super far on what bucket tiers they had him and Hunt in.

(Otherwise they woulda just taken him)

They lost Wilson cause of the first trade back.. not the second, but yeah. 

There was a handful of WRs to choose from at 78 and they didn't do it, so maybe they didn't like the remaining guys as much at that value.

Even if you don't like this one, not a single Eagles fan should be upset with the Eagles draft so far.  Mitchell and DeJean is just stupid value.  Most of us wanted a defense heavy draft and the Eagles just turned their secondary on their head.

Hunt? We'll see.  Looks like Fangio really likes these hybrid types that can play inside/outside.  The tools are nice.  Would getting Wilson been amazing? Yes, but if Fangio is banging the table for this guy and you pick up 2 4ths in the process ya make your biggest off-season acquisition happy.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

There was a handful of WRs to choose from at 78 and they didn't do it, so maybe they didn't like the remaining guys as much at that value.

My guess is the Eagles think the value in the WR class is on day 3.  Right or wrong they didn't seem to think Wilson was that much better than the guys left at WR, but they felt like Hunt was a must have in an underwhelming edge class once you get out of the 1st Rd.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

My guess is the Eagles think the value in the WR class is on day 3.  Right or wrong they didn't seem to think Wilson was that much better than the guys left at WR, but they felt like Hunt was a must have in an underwhelming edge class once you get out of the 1st Rd.

Yeah and there's some WRs still available that they could be interested in:

Troy Franklin, Malik Washington, Brenden Rice, Johnny Wilson (could be a TE in their eyes), Devontez Walker, Ainias Smith, Jamari Thrash (not related to James)

Then you have some smaller slots like Jacob Cowing and Tahj Washington (probably more in the 5th).

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

57 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I think we are just labeling them different 

First trade down would’ve been because they lost their guys from this group, or thought there were enough to last to 86

pp3oRcD.jpeg

The second trade seemingly lost them whichever of these guys they liked. Which could’ve been all of them except Bullock, especially the two guards.

OV1qq0F.jpeg

Guys they had 30 visits for of those two lists

Andru Phillips, Trevin Wallace, Cooper Beebe, Zak Zinter. 

Jaylx and MarShawn Lloyd were the other two that went after 86.

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

The second trade seemingly lost them whichever of these guys they liked.

Yeah, I'm saying the 1st trade back cost them Roman Wilson, cause he was already off the board before 86, so the 2nd trade back was just a possible reaction to them maybe losing Roman Wilson, because of their first trade back. 

For the 2nd trade back to have lost Roman Wilson then he would've had to be selected between 87-93.

This is really just a bunch of semantics though... lol smh.

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

Which could’ve been all of them except Bullock, especially the two guards.

TBH I don't think it was any of them besides Wilson with maybe the exception of Haynes to compete at RG with Steen? But, we didn't bring him in for a top 30 and not sure if we met with him at the combine or Senior Bowl.

7 hours ago, CasperX22 said:

Even if you don't like this one, not a single Eagles fan should be upset with the Eagles draft so far.  Mitchell and DeJean is just stupid value.  Most of us wanted a defense heavy draft and the Eagles just turned their secondary on their head.

Hunt? We'll see.  Looks like Fangio really likes these hybrid types that can play inside/outside.  The tools are nice.  Would getting Wilson been amazing? Yes, but if Fangio is banging the table for this guy and you pick up 2 4ths in the process ya make your biggest off-season acquisition happy.

I kind of agree with this. This pick is the price we pay for two very good earlier picks.

These “has the tools, can become good if he…” type of players never work for us. 

22 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

I kind of agree with this. This pick is the price we pay for two very good earlier picks.

These “has the tools, can become good if he…” type of players never work for us. 

Willing to wait and see but yeah I agree with this. 

1 hour ago, Broadway Joe said:

Jordan Mailata Bar

• Like 2