Post-Draft Chat

Grade Telesco's first draft as Raider GM  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Telesco's first draft as Raider GM

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Where would you play bowers? For him to be most effective 

I would never pretend to be an offensive mind at all, but I'd think he should be a chess piece to be most effective. Have him play some 2 TE sets with Mayer, I'd also like to see him as a big slot receiver and then even out wide with a Tre Tucker or Meyers in the slot for a different look. I also think he can take snaps at FB too, on playaction leaking out of the backfield he could be devastating or on designed FB screens, he could get the odd end around even. I'd have Mayer as the base TE1 but I would swap them from time to time too so as not to tip our hand when running for example. 

A lot of guys are pessimistic about Luke Getsy, with some reason it must be said, but this should be a bit of a yardstick for him really. Can he get everyone involved and can he use all these different pieces, Adams and Meyers are still two very accomplished receivers aswell to get their touches. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rolni said:

Minshew is a finished product, while AOC will "start" his 2nd NFL season and first full NFL offseason.

AOC can develope and grow from last year, while Minshew is a "non commoditiy"

Will AOC ever be mobile enough?

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I would never pretend to be an offensive mind at all, but I'd think he should be a chess piece to be most effective. Have him play some 2 TE sets with Mayer, I'd also like to see him as a big slot receiver and then even out wide with a Tre Tucker or Meyers in the slot for a different look. I also think he can take snaps at FB too, on playaction leaking out of the backfield he could be devastating or on designed FB screens, he could get the odd end around even. I'd have Mayer as the base TE1 but I would swap them from time to time too so as not to tip our hand when running for example. 

A lot of guys are pessimistic about Luke Getsy, with some reason it must be said, but this should be a bit of a yardstick for him really. Can he get everyone involved and can he use all these different pieces, Adams and Meyers are still two very accomplished receivers aswell to get their touches. 

I’ve always been hesitant about Jack of all trades type. Seems like they never really find a true position in the nfl

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I’ve always been hesitant about Jack of all trades type. Seems like they never really find a true position in the nfl

In defense of Bowers, because it isn't the player I care to criticize, I don't think he's a Jack of all trades by default. 

When I think of Jack types, I think Taysom Hill right off the bat right now. He doesn't have a single position he can stick to. 

Bowers can 100% just be a TE if.that was required, and unlike a Hill, he's not just a novelty lining up there. The fact he can.be used.in other ways is more of a bonus than with your usual gadget guys. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, raidr4life said:

Will AOC ever be mobile enough?

I personally think Mobility is overrated, unless it’s moving around the pocket. That was one of the things that appealed to me about Caleb Williams. However you don’t need a QB to be able to run ten yards for a first. 

The most damning piece of evidence that AOC isn’t the guy was 0 pass attempts in 3/4 of the KC game. I mean the dude has more or less the same group this season as last season so how much more can he improve? It’s not like he’s Anthony Richardson, a raw prospect. Dude was drafted in the fourth and his best attribute was his accuracy with the ball. He’s a great backup both of these guys are. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

I personally think Mobility is overrated, unless it’s moving around the pocket. That was one of the things that appealed to me about Caleb Williams. However you don’t need a QB to be able to run ten yards for a first. 

The most damning piece of evidence that AOC isn’t the guy was 0 pass attempts in 3/4 of the KC game. I mean the dude has more or less the same group this season as last season so how much more can he improve? It’s not like he’s Anthony Richardson, a raw prospect. Dude was drafted in the fourth and his best attribute was his accuracy with the ball. He’s a great backup both of these guys are. 

I agree I've always said you don't have to be a runner, but he was literally a statue no pocket manipulation. Could he pick up 2 yards if you needed it? 11 yards in 10 starts, even Brady could out do that. I like AOC, but I hoped he slimmed down and worked on some mobility this off season. Minshew had a ton of nice roll out plays, can AOC do that? I mean the offense will always be super limited if he can't move a little bit.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

In defense of Bowers, because it isn't the player I care to criticize, I don't think he's a Jack of all trades by default. 

When I think of Jack types, I think Taysom Hill right off the bat right now. He doesn't have a single position he can stick to. 

Bowers can 100% just be a TE if.that was required, and unlike a Hill, he's not just a novelty lining up there. The fact he can.be used.in other ways is more of a bonus than with your usual gadget guys. 

I agree and I think te is his best position in the nfl. I think he won’t be able to do a lot of the extra roles in the nfl. That’s my main issue we traded up for mayer last year who people swore I’d gronk 2.0 and I didn’t want to take snaps away from him. I also don’t think te’s are the easiest to transition to nfl which is why I never like drafting them early because year 1 is basically a wash. Drafted @ 13 imo means he’s got to start. Gonna be interesting. Imo mayer is too slow for nfl te and becomes 2nd string and with the fa te we signed mayer better be ready.

AS QUARTERBACK CHAOS played out before them Thursday night, the Las Vegas Raiders' 2024 NFL draft room held all of the emotions. There was surprise, bemusement, maybe a hint of resignation within the team's Henderson, Nevada, headquarters. Eventually optimism.

In a room where coach Antonio Pierce, general manager Tom Telesco and team owner Mark Davis were joined by more than 20 scouts, the Raiders, picking 13th, had expected to consider a "second wave" of first-round QB prospects that included Michigan's J.J. McCarthy, Washington's Michael Penix Jr. and Oregon's Bo Nix.

Once Las Vegas found itself on the clock, that wave had already crashed ashore.

Six quarterbacks, including McCarthy, Penix and Nix were gone in the first 12 selections, the highest concentration of QBs ever taken in a 12-pick stretch of the draft. What's more, the first 14 picks all came from the offensive side of the ball -- including the Raiders taking Georgia tight end Brock Bowers at No. 13. Never in the NFL draft's nearly 60-year history had 14 straight offensive players been selected, much less 14 straight at the top of the draft.

"I was surprised by the [offensive] run and how it happened, to be honest," a Raiders team source said.

The headline, as is usually the case in the draft, was about the quarterbacks. The run on QBs said plenty about the premium nature of the position in the modern NFL, coupled with the rookie wage scale's low barrier to entry in selecting one. A lot of quarterbacks at the top of the first round? Sure, NFL insiders said, it could be repeated.

But 14 straight offensive players? NFL scouts and executives who spoke to ESPN expressed emotions such as bewilderment and surprise over the way that played out, even while relaying a knowing sense of the factors that caused the feeding frenzy to occur.

It just happened, they said, and is unlikely to happen again anytime soon.

"There are really no dots to connect," one NFL executive said. "The better players were on that side of the ball this year."

24 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I agree and I think te is his best position in the nfl. I think he won’t be able to do a lot of the extra roles in the nfl. That’s my main issue we traded up for mayer last year who people swore I’d gronk 2.0 and I didn’t want to take snaps away from him. I also don’t think te’s are the easiest to transition to nfl which is why I never like drafting them early because year 1 is basically a wash. Drafted @ 13 imo means he’s got to start. Gonna be interesting. Imo mayer is too slow for nfl te and becomes 2nd string and with the fa te we signed mayer better be ready.

Baby Gronk doo doo doo doo doo doo.

5 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

"The Raiders, picking 13th, had expected to consider a "second wave" of first-round QB prospects that included Michigan's J.J. McCarthy, Washington's Michael Penix Jr. and Oregon's Bo Nix.

Once Las Vegas found itself on the clock, that wave had already crashed ashore."

This is going to be what makes or breaks this regime. They supoosedly expected there to be QBs available, by Telesco's own admission didn't try very hard to move up, and then were surprised when nobody was left. 

Whether one likes the Bowers pick or whatever, it's a puzzling look considering what has been reported, what has come from the horse's mouth, and what in fact occurred. 

If it works out and AOC/Minshew look fabulous or they grab a guy next year and have him surrounded by ridiculous talent, they're going to look like absolute geniuses. 

If it flops, they'll be run out of town quick, because they effectively appear to have fiddled while Rome burned for better or worse. Support them or not, how anyone could have been surprised that the QBs were gone by 13 is at the very least questionable. 

Assuming, that is, that these reports are accurate and valid at all. 

56 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Makes sense tbh, looks like while we were happy to consider any QB at #13 didn’t value the bottom 3 QBs as worth trading up for and so decided to take BPA and build the roster.

Time will tell j guess but I am happy with Bowers & JPJ. Tbf that was my stance before the draft.