Grade Your Team's Draft

Daniel

I'd give Green Bay a solid B grade. Maybe B+ if you want to be generous.

1.25 - OT Jordan Morgan - B
I personally wasn't a huge fan of Morgan going into the draft with his less than ideal arms.  I thought he'd be a solid OT but he could be an All Pro OG at the next level.  Based on comments made by Gutekunst, he's a tackle until he proves he's not a tackle which is pretty much what you want to hear.  He played well at Arizona and was a big key for their success this past season.  He's got easy movement skills and seems to be capable of playing tackle at a reasonable level.  I'm not nearly as optimistic on him as a franchise LT, but he should be at least a capable OT at the next level.

2.45 - LB Edgerrin Cooper - A-
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of spending premium picks on non-premium positions, but the value here is fine. They probably entertained taking him at 25 if Morgan wasn't available.  He's an instant starter for Green Bay alongside Quay Walker, and he was wildly productive at A&M especially attacking the LOS.  I'm not sure he's as good as an athlete as he tested, but if you're creating an attacking style defense than Cooper is a natural fit.  I was a little surprised that the Packers didn't look to make a small trade up to ensure they landed Cooper DeJean, but they clearly liked the safety class more than most.

2.58 - S Javon Bullard - A
This was probably Green Bay's "best" pick of the first two days of the draft in terms of value and filling needs.  I felt like he was probably a mid-to-late SRP originally but once the DBs, specifically DeJean fell in the draft his stock probably move backwards a bit.  He was arguably the best safety in the class even with his less than ideal frame.  He's versatile enough to play all over the secondary but probably goes into a Brian Branch-esque role as an nickel back for the Packers.

3.88 - RB Marshawn Lloyd - B
In a rather weak RB draft, you could argue that Marshawn Lloyd might end up being the best RB prospect in the draft.  I didn't have him as that, but there was enough to like him late on Day 2 or even better on Day 3.  He's clearly talented, and the offense he came out of USC didn't highlight him enough as it was more of a system for QBs and WRs.  But he was very productive despite that but he needs to cut down on the turnovers.  Clearly, Green Bay feels like they can fix that issue with him and that will probably ultimately decide his future with Green Bay.

3.91 - LB Ty'Ron Harper - C-
I get the pick, but I don't like the pick.  It's just too much for me in the projection of the game slowing down for him for me to like him especially this early in the draft.  I thought he was more of a 4th/5th round prospect.  For me, he's got a pretty high floor as I think he's going to be a ST cog for the next 5-6 years because he plays fast.  For me, the biggest issue is that the Packers have been vocal that nickel is their base defense and that 2 LBs is going to be the norm, so one of Quay, Edgerrin, or Ty'Ron will be on the bench more than they won't.

4.111 - S Evan Williams - B
I like Evan Williams but maybe a tad bit higher than I thought he'd go.  Not bad value by any means, especially when boards start to muddle up after the first 90 or so picks of a draft.  I think you've got a few picks that come out of left field in the first 90 or so picks, but after that you tend to see more variations in boards.  I think a reasonable floor/upside is a key ST player and solid depth at safety.  Maybe he becomes a fringe starting safety but I just don't think he's got much in the way of upside but should carve a career in the league.

5.163 - OL Jacob Monk - B
Green Bay has a history of finding starter on the OL in the early parts of Day 3 and Monk appears to be in that mold.  I don't think he's ever going to be a high impact starter at OG, but I think it's a guy who can probably be a 10+ year starter in the league.  And I think he's got versatility that he can probably play 3 or 4 of the positions on the OL at a reasonable level.  I'm not sure LT is a position he can play, but I think he could probably get you through a game at RT if you needed him to.  But OG or C seems to be his position of choice.

5.169 - S Kitan Oladapo - B+
I liked Kitan Oladapo at this spot more than I liked Evan Williams at the position he was drafted, but don't hate them going with safeties 3 times in this year's draft.  Personally, I didn't think it was a very strong draft at the top for safeties especially when the highest ranked one is a projection.  But I thought it had a solid depth at the class and I think Kitan Oladapo is a good player who probably went off the board a tad later than he probably should have.

6.202 - OT Travis Glover - C
Meh.  I mean, I get it but the Packers already have a couple of players in the mold of Travis Glover on the roster who have been in the system already.  He's a mammoth of a man who might be able to play offensive tackle in the NFL.  Given the Packers' history with OL, you don't hate the concept of taking an OL and seeing what stye can get out of it.

7.245 - QB Michael Pratt - B+
There clearly is no QB controversy in Green Bay as far as the starting QB goes, but they are creating competition at QB2 where Sean Clifford likely has the leg up.  He probably could have gone a bit higher if he had more upside, but he's potentially a solid backup QB in the NFL for the next decade.

7.255 - CB Kalen King - A
This late in the draft, you might as well as gamble on some guys who looked good in previous year but struggled their final year in college.  Kalen King was viewed as a probable FRP coming into the season, but struggled badly and tested just as poorly.  He probably won't be a starting CB in the NFL unless he can figure out his press technique better, but it's not a bad gamble by any means.

• Like 1

Rams overall I grade them an A.

The picks I loved were Verse, Fiske, Corum, Kinchens, and Karty. I think Verse/Fiske are extremely important bc they will come in the post Donald era and stamp their own identity on the defense. They both are high motor, talented, high character guys whose worth ethic is off the charts and they know each other. The chemistry with the two is special. Barring injuries I cant see those guys busting. And you pair them with Turner, Brown, Young, and Jones in the front seven I see the Rams defense being a top 10 defense this upcoming season. Corum is a pick people are conflicted with. Like why waste a top 100 pick on a back when you have Kyren whom they found in the 5th round a few years ago? Well thats bc Corum is a talented back that wouldnt have lasted much longer and he is a copy of Kyren. When Kyren got hurt the Rams offense wasnt the same. Now with Corum there wont be a drop off if Kyren isnt on the field due to taking a play or series off or if unfortunately he is hurt. McVay want the Rams offense to basically be the same every snap and Corum gives them that ability. Kinchens is a straight playmaker. Having him and Curl in the secondary at safety will prove to be big time. The Rams struggled last season to get takeaways and they added a guy who is a takeaway machine. He fell bc he didnt test well but you see him on the field he is a great football player. Im excited for him to be on the Rams. Karty gives the Rams something they didnt have last season. Thats potentially having a great kicker. The Rams lost games last season bc of their poor kicking game so now drafting Karty they have a reliable kicker that will just do his job. 

• Like 1

On 4/30/2024 at 12:58 AM, Tugboat said:

I don't think that Manu pick is that perplexing.  It's a rare athlete with potential at a premium position.  Where the Lions are getting older.

Think...Jordan Mailata...but coming in with more actual football background.  Enormous project, but it's a mega big "homerun" type swing.  Where even if it doesn't get hit out of the park, there's still a pretty wide range of outcomes that are still very solid for where he was drafted.

Makes sense to me.

On 4/30/2024 at 1:12 AM, Sugashane said:

He's someone who just fits the old Parcells Planet theory. You throw in that Fraley seems to be one of the best OL coaches in the league and you give him time, Manu could be a steal. Same reason I drafted Mailata in real time before PHI did.

Edit - or @Tugboat could say it before me and I'll basically just echo what he said. Whatever. lol

Fans aren't happy with the process of trading a future 3rd for a guy who can't help a SB contender right away. Also that 3rd could be used during the trade deadline.

I can't hate their logic. My counterpoint is they are looking at the future and getting a guy in the building a year early to train.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, General Tso said:

Fans aren't happy with the process of trading a future 3rd for a guy who can't help a SB contender right away. Also that 3rd could be used during the trade deadline.

I can't hate their logic. My counterpoint is they are looking at the future and getting a guy in the building a year early to train.

That's somewhat fair i guess.  But a future 3rd isn't moving the needle in the "right now" immediate sense anyway either.

The other thing is, the way i see it at least...Detroit's "window" is basically contingent on that OLine.  Which is getting older.  So if there's any chance of extending that window, they're gonna need to get some absolutely high-end potential succession plans in place.  Which is really what Manu represents...even if he's a big project with a lot of work to do.  He's going to get great coaching and have terrific mentors and examples of quality OLine play to look to while he's developing.  There's the potential for more continuity there.  As opposed to just waiting until someone like Decker ages out and then having to spend a 1st round pick on a Tackle to fill the gap when he leaves or performance falls off a cliff...and having to plug them straight in and hope for the best.

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 5:37 PM, Scoundrel said:

Another A for my team grade!

It was Stl4life, are you surprised? The only thing I'm surprised about is that it wasn't an S-rank 

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

It was Stl4life, are you surprised? The only think I'm surprised about is that it wasn't an S-rank 

In all fairness, I did love their draft. 

For the Vikings, I'm going to go with a B. I like McCarthy and I like Turner where we goth both of them. But that's the draft and part of next years draft to get those two players. The rest of the draft again, I like the players. But they are later round picks that will hopefully provide good depth and can develop.

Posted (edited)

For Atlanta:

1 - 8: QB Michael Penix - D

Just didn't see the need with Kirk already in. Have warmed up since, but still not a fan of the pick.

2 - 35: DL Ruke Orhorhoro - B

The trade up was what I didn't like and passing on Newton. But Orhorhoro does fit what the Falcons want in a DT and he's really fun to watch.

3 - 74: EDGE Bralen Trice - A

Good value and hits the biggest need

4 - 109: DL Brandon Dorlus - A+

Dude is a high 3 value and they got him in the 4th. Fits depth needs

5 - 143: LB J.D. Bertrand - C

Hits a need of depth LB, but there were better LBs available

6 - 186: RB Jase McClellan - C

Meh. He's the third string RB.

6 - 187: WR Casey Washington - F

Didn't think he was draftable. WR is smart, but this guy over Brendan Rice? no.

6 - 197: DL Zion Logue - A

Needed a NT for base sets. From a big program and a leader from that program

Overall: C to C-

Edited by scar988
  • Like 2

Grades right after the draft have nothing to do with how the players are going to perform bc none of us know. The grades are for how a team executed draft strategy. So everyone can get an A, there doesn't have to be a winner and a loser unlike the actual games,.

I think for the Lions, other than Manu, they got good value across the board and took players who have a great chance of playing this year, all the way down to Mahogany and Wingo. Vaki will almost certainly be a ST centerpiece.

• Like 1