Grade Your Team's Draft

Daniel

15 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

Oh this is all pre-draft stuff. I thought something came out post-draft confirming they had actual interest. The Les Snead Auburn connection was over-hyped IMO. If they can get QB buzz in the first round, it's good for ratings. I dont see any merit to this, but what do i know.

• Like 1

I would have taken Quinyon Mitchell at 18, but I totally get going after Mims and the upside there. A 6'8" 340 lb behometh that tested like an elite athlete. Literally Willie Anderson potential, just less proven in college.  That's worth taking the swing. He sat behind 2023 1st Rd pick Broderick Jones, so it's not like he was struggling to crack the starting lineup behind a future accountant. The reps he did get in college, he was as good as anyone, did not give up a single pressure or sack. Amarius Mims grade: A-

At 49 the board thinned a lot in rd 2. I think it would have been worth burning pick 80 to move up for Johnny Newton or Kool Aid McKinstry. But that's not what they did, but that opportunity cost does factor into my grade as I think that was the move to make. As for Jenkins, he has all the looks of a solid rotational DT. He's flashed pass rush upside, but he hasn't proven it, with some blaming Michigan's scheme. Given it was a top 50 pick, I expected more pass rush potential.  That said, Jenkins was an elite run defender in college, and with Hill and Rankins, he can provide reps on 1st and 2nd downs so they can at least not be leaned on with too many snaps. Long term, we're going to need him to rush the passer though, and that unknown is a risk. Kris Jenkins grade: C+

I don't mind Burton in the 3rd, I was just surprised they went with a bit of a character/maturity concern after the last few drafts. I would have rather taken the risk he was still available at 97 and burned 80 to trade up in the second, but the flip side is we do have another top 100 pick still. While not amongst the very most elite athletes, Burton is a step up athletically from Tyler Boyd (especially the Boyd of the past couple years who has lost a step) and does seem to be a solid catcher of contested balls. He should contend for the starting slot position, it'll be an interesting camp battle. However, Burton never really produced like a go to WR at Alabama despite playing with other elite prospects. There is also the maturity concerns, but we'll see if a strong locker room culture can mitigate that. Jermaine Burton grade: B-

We needed most depth, fair enough, and we didn't reach early like the Titans did for Sweat, but I'm still not all that excited about McKinley Jackson.  I guess he produced in college better than Tyler Shelving, but we also took him earlier than Shelving.  Felt like drafting for need other than taking the talent that was still available on the board. McKinley Jackson grade: C-

Given his injury history and adequate TE depth that we have in Gesicki, Sample, and Hudson, All at 125 felt like another reach.  All has an extensive injury history and I see no reason why that will improve going against NFL guys rep in and rep out.  He's flashed the potential throughout college, but he didn't test and we don't really know what kind of athlete he is at this point. I guess rd 4 is better than rd 2, but still not a big fan of this pick, it's probably a letter grade higher if we do it around later. Erick All grade: D+

Josh Newton was looked at as a potential first round pick heading into the 2023 season before having a bit of a down year, and is the kind of upside swing I like to take in rd 5. Tested as a slightly above average athlete, but has boundary experience and is an older draft pick, I could see him contending for CB4, although I'd still feel better if we brought in a veteran for that spot. Solid swing here. Josh Newton grade: B

Had we not taken All I probably would have been fine taking McLachlan, he has some decent speed a few cool highlights, but he seems destined for the practice squad this year and I really didn't see us doubling up at TE. Maybe All will hit the PUP or the IR and we manage it that way. Tanner McLachlan grade: C

Cedric Johnson is a good athlete with size/speed to work with. Likely a practice squad guy with the depth we have (Hendrickson isn't going anywhere and I don't see him walking away from $36 million over the next two years to retire). I like the swing on an elite athlete this late. Cedric Johnson grade: B-

We're super deep at safety this year and there were other guys I liked better than Anthony. A little undersized, a slightly above average athlete, who didn't do all that much in college, seems like practice squad fodder. Daijahn Anthony grade: D+

Honestly, I would have been happier with Matt Lee at 97 than McKinley Jackson. A very good athlete who had a nice run in college. Keeping size on is really his biggest red flag, but even then he plays with good functional strength and graded out very well at Miami. Matt Lee grade: A-

Overall I have mixed feelings about this draft class. I liked the swing on Mims, and Jenkins seems like a safe high floor rotational DT. After that a whole lot of uncertainty and risk I wasn't too thrilled about. Could have maybe got a hem late in Matt Lee who I think beats out Trey Hill for the backup C spot.

Overall draft grade: B-

Edited by THE DUKE

17 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

sorry, but i never bought that story. it felt from the beginning like a huge reach of a story.
it felt kinda like when the rams will for sure pick manziel if he falls to 13 according to schefter.
well, we picked donald.
i bet snead liked all these qb and ot rumors out there, so the te might have fallen deeper.
the rams wanted the te and the back up plan was the defense.
the ramd didn't draft any qb and did not pick up any udfa.

9 minutes ago, Rrrrrrrams said:

sorry, but i never bought that story. it felt from the beginning like a huge reach of a story.
it felt kinda like when the rams will for sure pick manziel if he falls to 13 according to schefter.
well, we picked donald.
i bet snead liked all these qb and ot rumors out there, so the te might have fallen deeper.
the rams wanted the te and the back up plan was the defense.
the ramd didn't draft any qb and did not pick up any udfa.

You could just as easily make the case they didnt draft one because the only one they liked and could realistically get, was taken by the Broncos. Ultimately I guess we'll never know.

I'm just saying I could see where Sean was coming from if he really liked Bo and had heard that Rams wanted him. Again in his press conference he made reference to this and also said he didn't want to risk moving back for "a couple of 5th round picks." Sounds like there just weren't good trade partners for moving back this draft which we saw play out with other teams.

On 4/29/2024 at 8:01 AM, jebrick said:

I never grade a teams draft right after the draft.  Just give everyone an A and move on.  Most ( if not all) teams are high on the picks because they are still unknown.  I know it is fun and we have nothing to do for 6 months.

Steelers got 3 needs picks early and then 2 more very late.  Oline is pretty set ( thanks Weidl).  Dline depth is almost not there.  Meh.  Personally, I wish they would have done this draft rather than getting Pickett in 2021 but ...

They came out of the draft still needing a NCB so a B+ ish or INC

I prefer the "Grade your rivals draft" thread, because it's usually more telling IMO. I'm gonna make the thread later today.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Danger said:

I prefer the "Grade your rivals draft" thread, because it's usually more telling IMO. I'm gonna make the thread later today.

As a Saints fan I really look forward to that thread this year 😂

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

I come in here and see this garbage drafts getting good grades, then immediately see a draft I loved getting C+ and B- grades.  Weird.

I'm contemplating reviewing everybody's draft. There are a couple in here that would be a good two letter grades lower than what they gave themselves.

A C draft should be an average draft.

Edited by THE DUKE

25 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I'm contemplating reviewing everybody's draft. There are a couple in here that would be a good two letter grades lower than what they gave themselves.

A C draft should be an average draft.

The Bengals draft was the one I was referring to as better than the grade given.  I absolutely loved that draft.

I think one thing that's tough about actually getting to a C average is just the low expectations that come from late rounders.  Like, what is an F seventh rounder?  A guy who has no chance to make the roster?  Then what's a D?  What's a C?  A guy who will be on the bubble?  I think realistically, it's hard to pinpoint that much of a difference in seventh rounders, or even sixth rounders.  A steal there is obviously a higher grade, but still.

It's also hard to get grades that make sense in early picks.  Is taking the best QB in the class with the first overall pick an A+?  Do you automatically get an A+ for just being the worst team, and having a QB be available?  Second overall is similar most of the time.

I do try to get closer to a C average, but rarely do.  I gave the Titans a C, and looking at the hauls everyone else got, I can only count six teams that did worse imo.  I do think a C should be the average, but it never has been, and probably never will be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danger said:

I actually really like this:

Houston: C, I liked Lassiter, Fisher, and Stover, but none were big steals, and the first three players they picked have a pretty big question mark (Fisher needs work, Lassiter tested very poorly, and Bullock is really sleight).  Still, came away with a lot of talent in those first four picks, with no firsts.  Pretty meh on everything after though.

Colts: C+, I still think Latu is a big fat bust waiting to happen, but Mitchell was a huge steal, though likely because he's a headcase, and Goncalves, Borolini, Gould, and Carlies are all players I like, but again, I don't think they got crazy value.  Mitchell was the biggest steal by far, and a mid first round talent.

Jaguars: B, I love the fit of Brian Thomas, but after that, things are sketchier.  Both LSU DTs were reaches, but both will have roles, and getting the teammates is a plus, Jarrian Jones and Javon Foster are quality midrounders, Cam Little was the best kicker prospect, and Myles Cole was a steal.  They get lower grades for Day 2, but trading down and landing Thomas still makes theirs the best draft in the AFCS.

• Like 1

I liked Miami’s draft they filled a lot of spots they needed as to whether those characters can “play” time will tell. They have to lose points for losing a 3rd round pick this year due to the blatant tampering the owner engaged in a couple years ago. With that factored in I would give them a C or C+. They clearly liked the players they took in the first (Robinson) and second (Paul), reportedly turning down multiple trade offers to take those guys.      

A fun project would be to find the threads from draft grades for 3 or 4 years ago and see where we graded teams versus how those picks have faired since.    

2 hours ago, Danger said:

If only we could get somehwere between the 'grade your teams draft' and 'grade your rivals draft', that would probably be the true evaluation. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

If only we could get somehwere between the 'grade your teams draft' and 'grade your rivals draft', that would probably be the true evaluation. 

Alright someone start the "Grade a Random Draft" thread right now.