Grade Your Team's Draft

Daniel

I was initially upset we didn't draft a receiver before the 6th round, but now that I've settled down, I remembered that we just had too many holes on defense to worry about receivers. This was especially true after Donald retired.

But with that said, let's get to the grades 

Round 1, Pick 19: Jared Verse, EDGE

Grade: A. The Rams were fortunate Verse was available at 19, but I'm glad he was. He's probably the most NFL-ready edge rusher and they're gonna need that with AD's retirement.

Round 2, Pick 39: Braden Fiske, DT

Grade: B+. Only not an A because they had to give up a lot to get him. But as for the player himself, another big body up front to work with Kobie Turner as well as his college teammate, Verse, whom he already knows well and has chemistry with. Another good pick up.

Round 3, Pick 83: Blake Corum, RB

Grade: A. Love the pick. Similar play style to Kyren except stockier, which also means he can be used as a blocker. Can't complain. The Rams should be able to run the ball down their opponent's throats next year

Round 3, Pick 99: Kamren Kinchens, S

Grade: B+. His atleticism metrics are a bit concerning, but from what I've seen, he makes good reads to help make up for it. Dude is a ball hawk, which is good for a team that didn't force many turnovers last year. Plus he's good as a run defender.

Round 5, Pick 154: Brennan Jackson, EDGE

Grade: B. Another example of trying to recreate Aaron Donald in the aggregate. Has a good motor and speed but does need some refining. Should be good in a couple years.

Round 6, Pick 196: Tyler Davis, DT

Grade: A-. Probably won't be a starter, but he brings good value for a sixth round tackle; a good run defender who can plug up the middle and probably become a respectable pass rusher.

Round 6, Pick 209: Joshua Karty, K

Grade: A+. A good leg along with great accuracy, which is more than I can say for our pathetic kickers last season.

Round 6, Pick 213: Jordan Whittington, WR

Grade: B-. Has enough size and toughness to be a good possession receiver or blocker, but lacks breakaway speed to be anything more.

Round 6, Pick 217: Beaux Limmer, IOL

Grade: B+. Needs a little work but the talent is there to eventually be a starting center. For now, a high-end back-up.

Round 7, Pick 254: K.T. Levenston, IOL

Grade: C. A depth piece and not much more.

Overall grade: B+

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

You’d think every team have just drafted their long term pro bowl starters 

I never grade a teams draft right after the draft.  Just give everyone an A and move on.  Most ( if not all) teams are high on the picks because they are still unknown.  I know it is fun and we have nothing to do for 6 months.

Steelers got 3 needs picks early and then 2 more very late.  Oline is pretty set ( thanks Weidl).  Dline depth is almost not there.  Meh.  Personally, I wish they would have done this draft rather than getting Pickett in 2021 but ...

They came out of the draft still needing a NCB so a B+ ish or INC

Edited by jebrick

8 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Some very rose colored glasses in this thread 

6 hours ago, FloydFan said:

Crazy amount of copium in here 

These are outrageous accusations, sirs!  Now, while we're on it, let me explain why, upon further reflection, the Titans actually had an A+ draft...

22 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I never grade a teams draft right after the draft.  Just give everyone an A and move on.  Most ( if not all) teams are high on the picks because they are still unknown.  I know it is fun and we have nothing to do for 6 months.

Steelers got 3 needs picks early and then 2 more very late.  Oline is pretty set ( thanks Weidl).  Dline depth is almost not there.  Meh.  Personally, I wish they would have done this draft rather than getting Pickett in 2021 but ...

They came out of the draft still needing a NCB so a B+ ish or INC

I hate the Steelers so much.  I wanted Broderick Jones on the Titans last year.  This year, once Alt was off the board, I wanted to trade down and just take Fautanu.

Yall also got Darnell Washington this year and my top center Frazier.

Loved your draft, in the most hating way I can possibly love it.

Round 1: No. 2- Jayden Daniels, QB, LSU: A-
They did the right thing and went and got a QB. I preferred Maye, but am ecstatic to get Daniels too. He will be a playmaker for this team, and should be exciting to watch. 

Round 2: No. 36- Jer’zhan Newton, DT, Illinois: B-
I've had to come around on this pick some. There is no doubt this player this talented, but it's at our most stacked position. What's the long term plan here? I suppose he was just too good to pass up, but there was some serious talent at needs out there.

Round 2: No. 50. - (from PHI through NO)- Mike Sainristil, CB, Michigan: A-
Probably my favorite pick. Despite his measurables, I think he fits in with exactly what Dan Quinn's defense will do. This was a good player now in a good fit. I think we see immediate returns from this. 

Round 2: No. 53 (from PHI)-Ben Sinnott, TE, Kansas State: B
My second favorite TE in the draft. I loved the comparison to a little Kittle and a little Kyle from SF. He should see PT early and be a contributor by season's end. Might have been a little early, but we identified talent and went and got it. 

Round 3: No 67. Brandon Coleman, T, TCU: C-
I just can't be sold on this one. I think he's a guard, plain and simple. We missed the tackle run, and now seem to be trying to square peg a round hole here. He might eventually move inside and save this, but I don't see it as a tackle. 

Round 3: No. 100 (from SF)-Luke McCaffrey, WR, Rice: C+
Again, I like the player, but seemed a little early for my blood, especially with Troy Franklin sitting out there and proving a perfect compliment to what we needed outside of Dotson and McLaurin. Still, he comes from a long line of success in his family and I like what he brings. 

Round 5: No. 139- Jordan Magee, LB, Temple: B-
This, to me, is a pretty niche pick if it works out, but I think he found a home where he can find some success. He should be a good special teams guy as well. 

Round 5:No. 161- (from PHI through TB)-Dominique Hampton, S, Washington): B+
I do like this one a lot. This could be our Day 3 gem we found. Has great measurables. With good coaching, watch out. 

Round 7: No. 222-Javontae Jean-Baptiste, EDGE, Notre Dame: B-
It's a shot at developing a late EDGE. Undersized, but could take time to develop.

Overall: B
Going live I was a little down on the class some, but overall it all comes down to Jayden Daniels. If he's a success, the class is an A regardless. Peters found some good players to me along with some questionable picks. But, for a first draft, I like overall what I saw. 

Raiders:

• TE Brock Bowers
    • B+. Top 5 overall player and one of the few blue chip talents at #13 was great value. However I don't give it an A as we already had a rock solid TE in Mayer and had big needs elsewhere. Big fan of the BPA approach by Telesco here though. I think he is going to be a top tier player at his position in time.
  • G Jackson Powers-Johnson
    • A. JPJ was arguably the best interior player in the draft and to get him at #44 was outstanding. We already have a decent C in Andre James so JPJ will start at RG for us.
  • T Delmar Glaze
    • C. Development piece and likely early swing Tackle for us. Had pretty good pass block grades in college but it seemed early for him in the mid 3rd. He may need to shift to G but will battle with Thayer Munford at RT.
  • CB Decamerion Richardson
    • B-. Seemingly one of the most athletic players in the draft and led CBs in tackles the past two seasons. Classic H/W/S project you hope can grow. Will be a STer day one and maybe earn some reps as our 3rd CB spot is wide open.
  • LB Tommy Eichenberg
    • C+. Our LB room is pretty scary and not in a good way. We never properly address that area and although it was a late pick, I think he brings some sure tackling to the room and will likely find some decent PT. Pro comparisons are his new teammate, Robert Spillane who was amazing last season.
  • RB Dylan Laube
    • B-. I actually like this pick a lot. He looks like an excellent receiving RB who played some slot too. I hope he can overtake Ameer Abduallah but our staff loves him. I could see him sticking to the 53 as our main KR/PR at least.
  • S Trey Taylor
    • D. Athletic development S. TBD on if he makes the team.
  • CB MJ Devonshire
    • D. Another athletic development CB. TBD on if he makes the team.

Overall this was the best Raider draft class since 2014 (Not saying much). Two top talents, some of the youngest players in the draft, and athletic freaks at positions of need. I am very happy with Telesco and Pierce here.

Edited by RaidersAreOne
  • Like 2

So many damn A and A+ in this draft. I expected no less than 40 all pros from this draft class with the grades I am seeing! 

As for the Niners? They drafted players with a whole a lot of playing experience and prepared heavily for 2025 and going forward with all our free agents. I do no foresee any pro bowl player drafted, but many should be rock solid and have defined roles on the team. Pearsall is unlikely to ever be WR1 with Aiyuk on the team, Green does not make enough plays on the ball, Puni is going to be a good guard, but I doubt he will be great, Musthapha will be fine, Guerendo will be a HR hitter but never a bell cow.

If I had to give it a grade? Maybe a B- or C+? 

9 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

You’d think every team have just drafted their long term pro bowl starters 

I just grade how we addressed needs and they did that very well. Only time will tell how good the players are. 

I don't think fans overrating their own draft is surprising. None of these guys have played a single snap in the NFL... it is easy to look at their strengths and be excited while minimizing their weaknesses. Doesn't mean it is smart but people are just excited.