Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2024 (All Up)

goldfishwars

Yeah I like what the Giants did this year. Think they are kind of aware they are in a rebuild period and instead of going all in on spots of need(QB, OL) they just took a lot of guys that were near the top of the board for most people.

Nabbers is electric and should be a problem for a long time.

Rams draft was also quite good imo. I don't love the value they gave up trading for Fisk, but they got a lot tougher up front with Verse and Fisk which is exactly what they needed after losing Donald. Corrum should be good insurance for what seems like a very likely injury to Kyren atm. I don't love Kinchens athletic profile obviously, but at 99 I don't hate the pick.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

10. LA Rams

WATCH: Braden Fiske, Jared Verse Have Amazing Reaction To Reuniting With Los Angeles Rams

This Class In One Sentence:

An unlikely, likeable rebuild story

Pre-Draft Needs (According to https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/team-needs-2024)

EDGE, CB, DL, OT, QB, WR, IOL

Selections

19. Jared Verse | EDGE | Florida State

39. Braden Fiske | DL | Florida State

83. Blake Corum | RB | Michigan

99. Kamren Kinchens | S | Miami (Fla

154. Brennan Jackson | EDGE | Washington State

196. Tyler Davis | DL | Clemson

209. Joshua Karty | K | Stanford

213. Jordan Whittington | WR | Texas

217. Beaux Limmer | OC | Arkansas

254. Kaitori Leveston | IOL | Kansas State

Best Pick

Jared Verse – I’ll go with the straightforward option here, for a player who was getting top-five hype if he declared last year and could have gone as high as Atlanta at 8. He’s an explosive, powerful edge with a nasty cross-chop and bullrush. His physicality at the point of attack is his calling card, with the strength to disengage consistently. There is a little joint tightness which will probably limit what he’s able to achieve as a pass-rusher. I don’t know if he’ll ever be a top sack-getter, but he’ll make his presence felt snap to snap.

Worst Pick

I like the Fiske selection in a vacuum at 39, but giving up 52, 155 and next year’s 2nd rounder is a prime example of right player at the wrong price. I hate it when teams toss away next year’s premium capital at the draft, man. I get that this is a culture pick, but it’s not like he was a premium first rounder sliding down. For it to be worth it, Fiske has to at least match the combined output of Adonai Mitchell, Jeremiah Trotter and one of Carolina’s 2nd round selections next year. Bad process. Bad.

Overall

After a remarkable bit of bargain shopping in last year’s draft, Les and the Rams had more capital to work with in 2024 and came away with another impressive haul of players. It’s a difficult team to root against right now, given how likeable the main players are in LA and how inclusive that operation appears to be. It seems like a fantastic culture to work in and that environment has no doubt made it easier to rebuild a rosters down to the studs.

Parking what it took to get him, Fiske has an impressive first step and that hand quickness consistently rewards him with early gap penetration. He’s got a high motor that is always ticking away. He seems like a team-first sort of character, as shown by an endearing phone call with Verse where the two couldn’t escape the tears. He is an older prospect at 24 with noticeably shorter arms, which are aspects to note. Blake Corum was a major reason for Michigan’s success this past season. He runs with patience, can change direction on a dime and has that third-eye vision. He does lack long speed, and he’s not a home run hitter. But the Rams have an intriguing 1-2 punch at RB all of a sudden, both of which have bell cow potential. 

Kinchens was a decent pick-up at the end of the third, for a player who had first round attention heading into the 2023 season. The pretty awful athletic testing blew up his draft stock a little, but he does have an instinctual, playmaking game which overrides some of that. There’s a touch of Ji’Ayir Brown about him as a prospect. Brennan Jackson was one of my favotie pass-rush sleepers in the class, a very toolsy project to work with. Tyler Davis is solid rotational depth on a defensive line which needed bodies.

Further down, I like the two later shots on interior guys. Beaux Limmer has some day two hype at points in the draft, and while that always seemed rich, he’s good value here for an interior blocker with some quickness and a decent all-around game. Kaitori Leveston is old as hell, but had a good Shrine Bowl week and has some positional flexibility. Jordan Whittington was the dirty work receiver at Texas, who could block and return kicks. I think his main appeal is in the latter, but perhaps Rams fans were hoping for more out of receiver selections than they got.

Damn I was hoping for top 5 this year. Would we have been higher if we didn't give up next years 2nd rounder but still somehow landed Fiske and the rest?

Overall, I agree, and man I cannot say how much I love these writeups. Probably the best thread on the forum year in and year out.

I was over the moon with the Rams draft - good mix of win now and planning for the future. Last year was the proof of concept for drafting older players so it wasn't surprising to see us go back to that well. Only real weakness left on this roster would be CB2, and that's assuming White gives us nothing. There wasn't a single pick I had an issue with except for how rich the trade up for Fiske was.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Yeah I like what the Giants did this year. Think they are kind of aware they are in a rebuild period and instead of going all in on spots of need(QB, OL) they just took a lot of guys that were near the top of the board for most people.

Nabbers is electric and should be a problem for a long time.

Rams draft was also quite good imo. I don't love the value they gave up trading for Fisk, but they got a lot tougher up front with Verse and Fisk which is exactly what they needed after losing Donald. Corrum should be good insurance for what seems like a very likely injury to Kyren atm. I don't love Kinchens athletic profile obviously, but at 99 I don't hate the pick.

The number of people that bashed the Corum pick because of Kyren floored me. I love him but dude has been injured and missed games twice in two seasons, and our RB depth behind him was.....not good.

• Like 1

FWIW The Rams have said they valued Fiske as a first rounder. I get that people don't like trading next years 2nd to move up and grab him but this is also the team that people didn't like the F them picks mantra from. McSnead aren't afraid at all to burn draft capital to get a player they covet. 

23 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Damn I was hoping for top 5 this year. Would we have been higher if we didn't give up next years 2nd rounder but still somehow landed Fiske and the rest?

Can't speak for Goldie, but definitely would have been for me. That trade was preposterous in my view. 

I don't value trade ups in general though. There's a time and a place, that wasn't either for me lol

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Overall, I agree, and man I cannot say how much I love these writeups. Probably the best thread on the forum year in and year out.

Thanks man, that's really nice to read :)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Daniel said:

No beef there.  Rams had a great draft.

The Rams had a good draft. This should be your objective every year, ie your standard. 

A great draft means that the team had stockpiled a huge amount of draft capital or that someone far exceeded expectations. We will not know that for a while. 

26 minutes ago, Forge said:

Can't speak for Goldie, but definitely would have been for me. That trade was preposterous in my view. 

I don't value trade ups in general though. There's a time and a place, that wasn't either for me lol

I'd have to think it is one of the worst day 2 draft pick trades from strictly a value standpoint. 

• Like 1

9. Kansas City Chiefs

NFL: APR 25 2024 Draft

This Class In One Sentence:

Another strong, stealthy draft from Veach and co

Pre-Draft Needs (According to https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/team-needs-2024)

WR, OT, CB, DL, EDGE, IOL, TE

Selections

28. Xavier Worthy | WR | Texas

63. Kingsley Suamataia | OT | BYU

131. Jared Wiley | TE | TCU

133. Jaden Hicks | S | Washington State

159. Hunter Nourzad | OC | Penn State

211. Kamal Hadden | CB | Tennessee

248. CJ Hanson | OL | Holy Cross

Best Pick

I’m not sure I can pick out any particular one player, but I would say the combined value accumulated between picks 63, 131, 133, 159 and 211 is the most impressive aspect of this draft. Veach was really locked in and hoovering up the sliding talent at that point. 

Worst Pick

Xavier Worthy – Okay, from the bounce I want to make it clear I don’t think this is a bad pick – more the most controversial. I thought the trade-up in the first round was fine, and it was smart to exchange value while retaining volume. There was a probably need to add (even) more speed at receiver and what better person to provide that than the fastest guy in the class and in Combine history? And he is a solid route-runner and decent with the ball in his hands – can rapidly turn into a runner after the catch. It’s the lack of armour which is a concern, not just from his ability to take hits – but also in having the play strength to fight through press coverage. That’s where the Chiefs have to be creative in their usage.

Overall

What on earth was going on with that Bills-Chiefs end of the first trade, man? What is Beane doing even speaking to KC, let alone letting them move up without getting a ransom? Very weird stuff. Anyway, it’s strong again from a front office which always has a plan to get better. And right about now, we should have been approaching an apex of the post-Mahomes contract strategy. But instead, the Chiefs are coming off back-to-back Super Bowl wins. How did we allow this? It is ludicrous to think about the prospect of this roster strengthening rather than being plundered and brain-drained. But that is where we are and it sucks for everyone else.

I like the Kingsley Suamataia selection at 63 a whole lot better than I would have liked him at the end of the first round. Considering offensive tackles were flying off the board, to see him take a bit of a slide probably speaks to the doubts on whether he should start games any time soon. He is a thickly-build offensive tackle who moves well for his size. The pedigree is excellent and he’s still very young at 20. There's a ceiling to grow into. He does need good NFL coaching as he plays too upright and is a poor run blocker (weirdly better in pass pro). But, certainly the Chiefs have done more with less.

I really like the almost back-to-back selections in Jared Wiley and Jaden Hicks. Both were top 100 players on my board, so a value plus given they went in the 130’s. Wiley has a Kelce-replacement level skill set in that he’s also a big-time athlete and a natural hands catcher with only one dropped pass in his college career. Like Travis, he’s a below-average blocker – but he’s an ascending player and was a real red zone weapon in his final season at TCU. Hicks is a bigger safety who diagnoses quickly and can hit and man-up on tight ends. He does have some stiffness, which might make him better suited to playing closer to the line.

Hunter Nourzad was another top-100 player on my list and feels like a decent replacement prospect for Nick Allegretti. He played guard and center during his time at Cornell and Penn State and called the protections in his final season. He’s an athletic puller and can hit targets on the move. Kamal Hadden I liked quite a bit as an aggressive lengthy corner who plays the run well as the Chiefs demand of their defensive backs. He’s coming off a serious shoulder injury, which probably contributed to his lower draft slot. CJ Hanson I know little about, but had very good testing numbers at the combine.

Also, not part of the evaluation, but watch out for Fabien Lovett as a UDFA pick-up. I liked him a lot as a run-first interior defender. I think he has a chance.

• Like 2

I think people thinking that Xavier Worthy was the most exciting pick for the Chiefs are dealing with Fantasy Brain.  165 lb WRs just aren't for me.

I love Suamataia and Hicks, but having the Chiefs draft as a top 10 one is weird to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think people thinking that Xavier Worthy was the most exciting pick for the Chiefs are dealing with Fantasy Brain.  165 lb WRs just aren't for me.

I love Suamataia and Hicks, but having the Chiefs draft as a top 10 one is weird to me.

His comp is Desean Jackson, I can dig it. This is 2024 these guys are a lot more successful now than ever before. 

Hell put on another 10 pounds and keep most of the speed, Chiefs needed it anyways