Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2024 (All Up)

goldfishwars

31 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Sean Patently deluded about being a QB whisperer. What QB has he developed? Brees was talented anyway… 

I'm sorry but this is just revisionist history. Brees absolutely wasn't Brees until Sean. There's a reason the Chargers moved on from him. His numbers spiked hard his first year on the Saints as well.

Brees aside, Sean took a very talented but wild gunslinger in Winston and actually got him to have a good TD-Int ratio. He also gave Teddy the best stats and winning percentage of his career. 

I guess if you're really being nitpicky, you could say he likes his reclamation projects moreso than "developing." 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

I'm sorry but this is just revisionist history. Brees absolutely wasn't Brees until Sean. There's a reason the Chargers moved on from him. His numbers spiked hard his first year on the Saints as well.

Brees aside, Sean took a very talented but wild gunslinger in Winston and actually got him to have a good TD-Int ratio. He also gave Teddy the best stats and winning percentage of his career. 

I guess if you're really being nitpicky, you could say he likes his reclamation projects moreso than "developing." 

Yes it had nothing to do with the shoulder injury that led Miami to pass on him in FA.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Yes it had nothing to do with the shoulder injury that led Miami to pass on him in FA.

Or Jameis Winston having like half of his TDs come in one game where he threw like 5 of them which led to the nice "TD-INT ratio"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

YES! Made it in to the top half of the league. Take that Looooo-hoooosers!

I think the Bills need to be in the top ten based on the Keon Coleman pick alone.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

I think the Bills need to be in the top ten based on the Keon Coleman pick alone.

If the Bills had Coleman rated higher than Xavier Worthy, I can see the trade. The worry is whether the 49'ers will take him. When they don't the trade down with Leggette on the board is a no-brainer.

The Bills pick up material twice. The question is what they did with it. That's where I think they deserve a hit.

1 hour ago, Sad People said:

Or Jameis Winston having like half of his TDs come in one game where he threw like 5 of them which led to the nice "TD-INT ratio"

And yet..he somehow never managed that before. Imagine that. Yall have some Sean hate. I'll tell ya that. I get it though...he's a deuche

4 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

And yet..he somehow never managed that before. Imagine that. Yall have some Sean hate. I'll tell ya that. I get it though...he's a dush

Fify

Source: iykyk

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

Tbf they did draft rivers an entire year before he had the shoulder injury.

He started off his career slow, they drafted rivers, brees broke out, hurt his shoulder, and the chargers moved on. 

I'm getting tired of the QB vs HC debates. They work together. In order to achieve sustained success over many years, both of them have to be good at their job and they need to do it together. Mahomes isn't Mahomes without Andy. Montana isn't Montana without Walsh. Brady doesn't win all of those Superbowls without Bill.

Brees and Payton were good for each other to an extent. Both elevated the other. Payton is definitely overrated at this current juncture. 

Edited by N4L
  • Like 2

16. Buffalo Bills

Keon Coleman at a press conference

This Class In One Sentence:

The most important draft in the current regime’s tenure and they just about passed the test

Pre-Draft Needs (According to https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/team-needs-2024)

WR, EDGE, DL, CB, S, LB, IOL

Selections

33. Keon Coleman | WR | Florida State

60. Cole Bishop | S | Utah

95. DeWayne Carter | DL | Duke

129. Ray Davis | RB | Kentucky

141. Sedrick Van Pran | OC | Georgia

160. Edefuan Ulofoshio | LB | Washington

168. Javon Solomon | EDGE | Troy

204. Tylan Grable | OT | UCF

219. Daequan Hardy  | CB | Penn State

221. Travis Clayton | OT | Basingstoke RFC

Best Pick

I was tempted not to single anyone here because there are a number of good selections without any one pick being outstanding. I will shout out Edefuan Ulofoshio who was a top 100 player in my rankings and was taken at 160. He’s a silky smooth linebacker and a quiet First-Team All-Pac selection in 2023. His 9.54 RAS indicates a high-level athlete and that shows up in his coverage. He is an older prospect at 24 with concerns in his medical history, which is something to note.

Worst Pick

With Diggs being traded to Houston, the question will be whether Buffalo has done enough at receiver to mitigate his loss. Keon Coleman is obviously a different sort of receiver and will probably do his best work in the intermediate areas of the field. Unfortunately for the Bills, that's also where Khalil Shakir, Curtis Samuel and Dalton Kincaid like to operate so it’s a surprise they didn’t double up with a more vertical threat.

Overall

The Bills gave themselves a lot to do in the draft, needing to find role players at several spots and I thought they navigated it well on the whole. I like the small trades back in the first, with the Chiefs for a pick which turned into Dewayne Carter and then again with the Panthers which ended up as a selection for Sedrick Van Pran. That’s smart drafting from a GM who has been accused of burning picks in the past.

Keon Coleman has been a delight post-draft and has an amazing comic touch. I’d give this pick a top grade based on that alone. He has been a divisive prospect, with perfect X-receiver size but below-ideal timed track speed and some tricky non-projectable metrics. He’s not a separator versus man coverage but does change direction well and has phenomenal hands. He can win in the air and regularly makes circus catches and plays faster than he timed. We’ll see how that works.

Cole Bishop was a little more questionable at 60, not because he went earlier than expected – more that his game is more effective around the line of scrimmage and therefore isn’t dissimilar to Taylor Rapp and Mike Edwards already on the roster. He is a good, instinctual safety coming off a strong draft season. DeWayne Carter I like at 95 as strong, active three-tech who has surprisingly explosive reps. Ray Davis is well-rounded, doesn’t have breakaway speed – but he’s a smart one-cut runner who can be a plus in the passing game. Back-to-back, that’s nice work.

From here, it’s really solid drafting. Sedrick Van Pran has few size and athletic gifts to fall back on, but he’s so smart and functionally sound that I think he’ll quietly start at center in the league for years. Javon Solomon is a little sawn off as an edge rusher, but has a bursty first step that could give him a chance. Elsewhere, I like the shots on the two uber-athletic tackles. Those are always good bets to take late.

• Like 3

• goldfishwars changed the title to Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2024 (Buffalo at 16)

The Bills not adding more at WR seems like one of those obviously stupid moves that is so bad, has everyone wondering if it's actually smart and we just aren't getting it....until the season starts and it's just painful.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Sad People said:

In 2019, Sean Payton had to start Teddy Bridgewater for 5 games when Brees was out with an injury. In those 5 games, Bridgewater went 5-0 and statistically was playing the best football of his career during that stretch. Taysom Hill went 3-1 as a starting QB in 2020 when Brees was out injured. Taysom Hill had 8 touchdowns and 2 interceptions in those 4 starts.

In 2021, Taysom Hill went 4-1 as a starter and Jameis Winston went 5-2 as a starter and statistically was playing some of the best football of his career especially in regards to turnovers. Sean Payton went 0-5 with Trevor Siemian and Ian Book at QB. Even in the 4 losses Siemian had in 2021, he still went for 11 touchdowns and 3 interceptions in 4 starts. Statistically the best football played of his career by many statistical metrics. In all we have:

Drew Brees- Best football of his career with Sean Payton

Teddy Bridgewater- Best football of his career with Sean Payton

Jameis Winson- Best football of his career with Sean Payton

Taysom Hill- Best football of his career with Sean Payton

Trevor Siemian- Best football of his career with Sean Payton

Payton can be a frustrating coach at times when he's your teams head coach (always trying to be the "smartest guy in the room" playstyle), and clearly he rubs opposing fans the wrong way judging by how many people get "salty" when he is brought up over the years, but for whatever reason QB's always seem to be at their best with him coaching them. 

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 2

• goldfishwars changed the title to Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2024 (All Up)