53 Man Roster thread

Old Guy

On 6/11/2024 at 10:46 PM, ThatJerkDave said:

1.Regarding that Deguara role, I think it is going to be taken over by Sims and possibly Davis, if he is all the way back.  I also suspect that Henry Pearson will not make the initial 53 man roster, but will be signed to the practice squad, and elevated if/when the game plan calls for it, and then rostered when his PS eligibility runs out.  

2.I also think Dillon in 24 is going to be just like Dillon in 23, and 22, and so on.  He will be the number 2 back, probably a little better at pass protection, and probably there will be a couple of AJ Dillon games during the season when he is playing well and gets a lot more carries.  I would also suspect that MarShawn Lloyd will get the limited third RB snaps, and they will probably add in some packages for him, like they did with Dillon as a rookie.  

The Lloyd thing makes a lot of sense, but bear in mind he's a slightly different back than both Jacobs and Dillon. 

1. I'm curious as to why Sims or Davis would take that role - I can't see it happen simply due to body type and vocational strengths. It feels as if Pearson and one of the two aforementioned TE's inherit part of the overall role Deguara was supposed to play as an H-Back. I'd also suspect that Deguara was supposed to be a version of Juszczyk, which leads me to

2. What value does Dillon's 2024 iteration give us if the 2022 and 2023 iterations didn't deliver? I suspect he slides into the Deguara role(or at least most of it) and will agree that there will be gameplans mid to late season where he's functioning strictly as a RB to throw off the game tape warriors who want to paint him into a box of some sort. IMO, we need to retire the concept of the Deguara role because he was drafted on a theory within the offense that didn't entirely pan out. I suspect MLF has moved on from putting energy and effort into making such a role work out and, instead, has decided that other players can collectively carry out the duties of what that role may have been.

13 hours ago, Rosser80 said:

The Lloyd thing makes a lot of sense, but bear in mind he's a slightly different back than both Jacobs and Dillon. 

1. I'm curious as to why Sims or Davis would take that role - I can't see it happen simply due to body type and vocational strengths. It feels as if Pearson and one of the two aforementioned TE's inherit part of the overall role Deguara was supposed to play as an H-Back. I'd also suspect that Deguara was supposed to be a version of Juszczyk, which leads me to

2. What value does Dillon's 2024 iteration give us if the 2022 and 2023 iterations didn't deliver? I suspect he slides into the Deguara role(or at least most of it) and will agree that there will be gameplans mid to late season where he's functioning strictly as a RB to throw off the game tape warriors who want to paint him into a box of some sort. IMO, we need to retire the concept of the Deguara role because he was drafted on a theory within the offense that didn't entirely pan out. I suspect MLF has moved on from putting energy and effort into making such a role work out and, instead, has decided that other players can collectively carry out the duties of what that role may have been.

In truth, having a 6'4-6'5 TE isn't an actual detriment to the H-Back role; I go back to the '07 Playoffs and I saw Donald Lee(6'4 250-ish or more) occasionally line up in the backfield in a FB-Esque position. It's plausible, provided the guy in question has enough mobility(which I assume the likes of Davis and Sims do) and in the case of the Deguara role, is capable of engaging defenders in space as opposed to the straight-line lead blocker types we typically think of for FB.

Pearson may simply be the odd man out due to roster availability; Davis/Sims are a bit more flexible in that they can line up like TE or like FB(in theory), while Pearson is more or less stuck in the backfield, lacking height and speed to be anything more than a Wing-Back on outside runs.

Dillon's primary value in 2024 is probably going to be the same as it always was- an attempt at having a smashmouth runner for a change of pace. Bulldoze and drag the defenders, catch the occasional pass, perhaps thrive in bad weather conditions. Question is if he can maximize said value on the field. He might get chances at the Deguara role, but yes, that role is probably better off phased out especially if the WR Corps remains lethal in numbers.

57 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

Pearson may simply be the odd man out due to roster availability; Davis/Sims are a bit more flexible in that they can line up like TE or like FB(in theory), while Pearson is more or less stuck in the backfield, lacking height and speed to be anything more than a Wing-Back on outside runs.

I agree about Dillon.  I don't think other than his weight he really does any of the FB stuff.  Even when Dillon and Jones were on the field at the same time, it seemed that they would try to get more LBs on the field and then pass out of the formation.

Regarding Pearson, I would be very surprised if he makes the 53 man roster at cut down.  I just look at this roster and see wanting to keep 5 LBs, 6CBs, 5S, and that is without even considering the lines.  I think the FB is a spot that just doesn't make that cut-down.  He is also probably a relatively safe bet to sign to the PS.  It would surprise me as much as him making the roster, if he wasn't signed to the PS and elevated and at some point rostered when injuries open up spots.  His overall value is lower than say, Kadeem Telfort, but his gameday value is probably much higher. 

For Dillon, it comes down to how you interpret MLF's comments after Dillon was re-signed.  MLF wanting to try Dillon in a Deguara(ish) role is the only thing that makes sense to me.  It's tough to envision AJ (I fall down at first contact) DIllon as an effective lead blocker, but maybe he's been miscast all along.

AJ Dillon: 'Not just a tailback'

LaFleur hinted at a new role for Dillon this season.

"The things he was able to bring from a pass protection standpoint—this was his best year in pass pro. We know what we're getting with AJ Dillon," said LaFleur. "I think there's some versatility that we can start to use with him moving forward, and trying to be more of a moveable piece, not just a tailback."

7 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

For Dillon, it comes down to how you interpret MLF's comments after Dillon was re-signed.  MLF wanting to try Dillon in a Deguara(ish) role is the only thing that makes sense to me.  It's tough to envision AJ (I fall down at first contact) DIllon as an effective lead blocker, but maybe he's been miscast all along.

AJ Dillon: 'Not just a tailback'

The question I keep coming to with regards to the "Dillon is the new Deguara theory" is if it's based on anything other than Dillon being a large guy and the "Not just a tailback" comment?

I see zero reason to assume that "Not just a tailback" means, "He's going to be the lead blocker on zone counters" and not "Hey, we might try him out on a Texas route or two this season and see if he can't do some of the things Aaron Jones was doing."

• Like 2

15 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The question I keep coming to with regards to the "Dillon is the new Deguara theory" is if it's based on anything other than Dillon being a large guy and the "Not just a tailback" comment?

I see zero reason to assume that "Not just a tailback" means, "He's going to be the lead blocker on zone counters" and not "Hey, we might try him out on a Texas route or two this season and see if he can't do some of the things Aaron Jones was doing."

I never thought Dillon in the Deguara role made much sense based on what I've seen from Dillon.

6 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I never thought Dillon in the Deguara role made much sense based on what I've seen from Dillon.

I don’t think many of us thought Deguara made much sense in the Deguara role.

Let’s roll with Musgrave and Kraft doing tight end things.

• Like 5

I'd like to see us sign Connor Williams to a 3-year deal. He's only 27 and could play all three positions on the interior. Not sure what he would cost but it can't be massive. You sign him and cut Newman and that pays for over 3 million of his deal year one. 

He could be a very solid depth piece at a position group that needs some solid, vet depth. 

14 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I'd like to see us sign Connor Williams to a 3-year deal. He's only 27 and could play all three positions on the interior. Not sure what he would cost but it can't be massive. You sign him and cut Newman and that pays for over 3 million of his deal year one. 

He could be a very solid depth piece at a position group that needs some solid, vet depth. 

depth piece? Dude had an 86.5 PFF grade last year and would be a clear upgrade over Myers...

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/connor-williams/46216
https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/josh-myers/59992

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Rosser80 said:

depth piece? Dude had an 86.5 PFF grade last year and would be a clear upgrade over Myers...

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/connor-williams/46216
https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/josh-myers/59992

Coming off an ACL injury too. Also, this would assure that there is no need to re-sign Myers at the end of this year. 

Edited by Old Guy